Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: MinePass

Post by Draconisaurus »

If you're talking about JPDS, that terrain for its plains was totally made by me by desaturating other textures and trying to fit it into the palette.
Also, I have released (at least one?) partial recreation of the plains. IIRC it uses the TestScene terrain texture, which is just a placeholder... ---NO WAIT! Hah I remember now. I fetched a sandy-looking terrain object from the plains area of the game which was stuck out of the play area in one of the early builds of IJ we have. It's about the closest thing we have right now, however more likely it is a texture which would have BEEN USED in PL but not the main one. Simply, it's the most grassy-sandy original-Tres texture we have, so I used it. It may end up sticking.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I was referring to your PL partial recreation, not JPDS.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

So I'm working on the terrain for PH and just looking at the terrain and walkthrough for this level has left me with a question, is the ridge that devides the first section from the other intentional or a way to hide the game's draw distance limit? The walkthrough makes no mention of this or the puzzle to leave this area, and in fact what we see is contradictory to the written material. And just on a visual standpoint it looks like a big wall and kinda makes the monorail's path a little strange if you follow it's path.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I have several ideas for this area but they are dependent on wether the ridge stays or goes.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I would say it was added to add another puzzle location. Realistic it should go or be modified in some way, the same with the JR ridge as there is no way for either machines, people and shipment to build the monorail would get past otherwise.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm having trouble collecting my thoughts/opinions on this matter but I believe PH as we have it COULD sustain a monorail path with the right sequence of blocks and tall supports - or alternately, they were planning to bulldoze the ridge. As to why the ridge was added, I have a feeling your thought on draw distance limitations may be right, as this is also why they cut out PL entirely.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote:I'm having trouble collecting my thoughts/opinions on this matter
I'm right there with you on this.

New question, back when the Pl research topic was active it was stated that between the Hunter's camp and the plantation house the river from IJ1 crossed over and likely was meant to connect to the PH river. Is this still correct, and how much of the E3 IJ level would need to be cut, also any ideas on how this would work ith the trench in that area? Though not explicitly mentioned it seems that to leave the level you had to get the boat hook from Cathy's Beach and use it as a balancing beam
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Plans if the ridge stays.

The main idea I had for the area is to have it a sort of holding pen, something that Ingen wanted to isolate from the general population of the island. this concept is reinforced by the change in the pillars and the look of completeness that surpasses the "Antherton causeway" seen in JR. The ground cover is a mix of browns and green and the jungle here feels thicker and has a sense of something rotting. not much sunlight is able to pass through the thick canopy but the path carved by the monorail will give the player a clear direction to walk twoards. To the East by the section that the monorail was to go through is a large wall, like in tc isle. This section has a tall metal door that can open at two different heights and length. Other than that the wall is bare of any kind of markings. The only other feature is a tall guard tower at one end of the wall. And the path out of this area has a similar structure but here the door is ajar thus alloowing access to the rest of the level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh well that sounds quite interesting and creative but a bit of a departure from original Tres materials..
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh well that sounds quite interesting and creative but a bit of a departure from original Tres materials..
True, though I haven't decided yet if it will stay or not. One of the most glaring problems for me with Trespasser was the general isolation of some areas of the game. Like the Brachiosaurus in the BE. Unless they were purposely put there I don't see how they could have gotten there. It's that general "being inside a bowl" feeling that I want to eliminate and if a few areas have to be tweaked then I will make it so it fits but stays true to the original material.

The above idea is like taking a page out of Dr Wu's book - this is the next step, the evolution of Trespasser's concepts.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

There are a ton of areas in Trespasser that as time went on were altered to look exceptionally strange, seemingly in order to reduce the amount of terrain that was explore-able - if you're not sure what I'm talking about, compare the older versions of JR to the final B116 JR...almost the entire level was altered by that point, and you can clearly tell the difference between areas that were part of the original terrain and changes the developers made later.
The PH ridge is questionable as to whether it was there in the first place judging by the walkthrough, but looking at it right now in TresEd, I'm actually thinking it was always there. It's clear however that parts of the walkthrough are incomplete, though, so they might not have considered that area yet. As I sad, the parts of the terrain that were changed later on have a distinct jagged look to them and a high terrain vertex count, and that particular ridge actually appears very smooth and realistic. However, I can say with almost 100% certainty that the gap that leads to the other side of the ridge was added as an afterthought, as it looks very out of place. I wonder if perhaps they had intended to make this a small cave or tunnel (which is what I did for our online role-playing game), something I guess could be easily done in Mine Craft. The rest of PH appears to be mostly unaltered in the version we have, with the only other distinct modification being the sudden spike of land at the southern end of Cathy's Beach.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Credit to THEHYBRED for the shader, https://mcpedl.com/parallax-shaders/

Teaser at how much has been done.
10-16-2019_2-29-36_PM-zwxqzvoh-640x360.png
10-16-2019_2-29-36_PM-zwxqzvoh-640x360.png (286.88 KiB) Viewed 37633 times
Such a beautifully morbid night, expect more this month :statue:
10-16-2019_2-29-36_PM-ujuzeeo5-640x360.png
10-16-2019_2-29-36_PM-ujuzeeo5-640x360.png (242.67 KiB) Viewed 37633 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey dude, neato. What's the pine place you've recreated?
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hey dude, neato. What's the pine place you've recreated?
That would be the camp mentioned in the walkthrough, in relation to the game it is the first thing you see when ascending the hill for the alternate valley and is before the hidden village.

The camp consists of a wood tent with a mixture of spruce (brown) and birch (tan) blocks, slabs, and stairs to give a dirty/worn feel and to hint as to what happened to these unlucky hunters. around the camp are several chests, a cage made of acacia trapdoors and grey carpet, and a small campfire. Also there a couple of corpse, one by the fie pit and the other behind the tent.

I came up with a new design for corpses, a full body consist of a skeletons skull, light grey concrete powder for the chest area, brown terracotta for the pants and flower pots representing the boots. I probably don't need to specify what a brown mushroom in said flower pot represents :mrgreen:.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I forgot that part of the walkthrough. In the original game there is an area with some hunter items and a crashed jeep, as you approach the trap stairs, I assume this is the location you mean. Sounds neat!
tatu

Post by tatu »

I like this. Even if Minecraft is Voxel based, creation something like Isla Sorna in it requires work but would look damn good! Nice work MinePass. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."