Isla Muerta - Site C (Now Released - pg. 5)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Isla Muerta - Site C

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo question. Who knows the speed at which Anne runs and at which she walks? Wanting to figure out road distances for a certain scripted system...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... it may be somewhere in the code, I guess.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Soooo question. Who knows the speed at which Anne runs and at which she walks? Wanting to figure out road distances for a certain scripted system...
I think I have an idea of what you're up to there. :wink: I think the best solution is to plot out 100 meters (or feet, for you Americans :P ) and just time her walking. Also, remember that if you increase the size of her foot $ model to something like 0.32 or 0.37 (can't remember, check TC~Isle), you can make her go a bit faster.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

machf wrote:Hmmm... it may be somewhere in the code, I guess.
OK, here it is:

Walk: 0.5 m/s
Run: 1.0 m/s
Back: 0.4 m/s
Strafe: 0.6 m/s

And remember: in-game, 1 unit=1 m.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Aha, thank you machf. I am going to be putting km-markers in but I won't yet spoil what all they do.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

If you think about it, those values are pretty low... Anne walking at 0.5 m/s and running at 1.0 m/s means 1.8 km/h (~1.12 mph) and 3.6 km/h (~2.24 mph), respectively... realistically, it should be about 5.0 km/h (~3.11 mph) and maybe 10.0 km/h (~6.22 mph), or 1.39 m/s and 2.78 m/s, almost 3 times faster. I guess Anne is really badly injured...
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

How are Anne's speeds implemented in the source, machf? I don't have the source in front of me, but I'm just wondering what effect modifying the size of her foot-box would have on her speed?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, it seems that changing the size of the "foot" only has a placebo effect.

Code: Select all

// no matter which of the input systems we used we still need to process
	// the bit keys. 

// The priority of the move keys is run then walk then backup
	if (tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_RUN)
	{
		tin_Input.v2Move.tY = 1.0f;
	}
	else if (tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_WALK)
	{
		tin_Input.v2Move.tY = 0.5f;
	}
	else if (tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_BACKUP)
	{
		tin_Input.v2Move.tY = -.4f;//-0.3f;
	}
	else
	{
		tin_Input.v2Move.tY = 0.0f;
	}

// Handle strafing simultaneously, but only if only one is pressed.
	// Strafe speed is walk speed.
	tin_Input.v2Move.tX = 0.0f;
	if (tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_LEFT)
	{
		if (!(tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_RIGHT))
			tin_Input.v2Move.tX = -0.6f;
	}
	else if (tin_Input.u4ButtonState & uBITKEY_RIGHT)
	{
		tin_Input.v2Move.tX = 0.6f;
	}

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wouldn't be 100% sure about that... The force applied may link somehow with the intended/default size of the foot cube. For example, if the cube is made larger, it might take less force to push the cube the normal speed, and thus the normal force might cause it to go faster. Might also be to do with the cube's mass/density. I could be wrong.

PS: Has anyone tried fiddling with the mass/density of the foot cube?..
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Small eye-candy update... Always fun when raptors get inside that you weren't expecting to. Current version of the indoor fog displayed.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I see you made use of the dark indoor idea we discussed. :wink: Looks really great so far! A suggestion: maybe bring the fog's end distance closer to the camera so you can't see all the way to the end of the hallway, or at least increase the density of the nearby fog. That would add a claustrophobic feeling to the indoor areas. There's also an odd blue tint to it, which looks unrealistic, but I rather like it. :)

You could also experiment with using the AlphaChannel function, or unlit objects with a very faint transparency, to create light entering from the outside or coming from old dimming lights:
Click on Image
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:I see you made use of the dark indoor idea we discussed. :wink: Looks really great so far! A suggestion: maybe bring the fog's end distance closer to the camera so you can't see all the way to the end of the hallway, or at least increase the density of the nearby fog. That would add a claustrophobic feeling to the indoor areas.
Thanks I was wondering how much I should increase it if at all..
There's also an odd blue tint to it, which looks unrealistic, but I rather like it. :)
Any visible blue is from textures and not the 0/0/0 fog.
You could also experiment with using the AlphaChannel function, or unlit objects with a very faint transparency, to create light entering from the outside or coming from old dimming lights:
Click on Image
Click on Image
Durrrr this sounds like an excellent idea, thanks....
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Very slightly. Not significantly enough to make areas 100% black with fog, but enough to create a vague hazy feeling. You can see somewhat in the dark but not very far, so you should try and reflect this notion. Amnesia: The Dark Descent did this well - when you stand in the dark, your eyes take a second to adjust, so you can see about 4 feet in all directions very faintly, and another 10 or so feet in the dark.
:D You're welcome! What I did in that RTJP screenshot I posted was give them a transparent texture with little dust particles present to make it look more realistic. They are animated on the X and Y axis to drift slowly downward as you can see real dust doing when caught in light.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
Very slightly. Not significantly enough to make areas 100% black with fog, but enough to create a vague hazy feeling. You can see somewhat in the dark but not very far, so you should try and reflect this notion. Amnesia: The Dark Descent did this well - when you stand in the dark, your eyes take a second to adjust, so you can see about 4 feet in all directions very faintly, and another 10 or so feet in the dark.
:D You're welcome! What I did in that RTJP screenshot I posted was give them a transparent texture with little dust particles present to make it look more realistic. They are animated on the X and Y axis to drift slowly downward as you can see real dust doing when caught in light.
TheIdiot wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
Consider yourself banned for triple-posting... :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Consider yourself banned for triple-posting... :P
:sick: Gah, sometimes my browser messes up and does that! My internet connection tends to get unstable, and when it does, weird stuff like that happens. Over on Moddb, they almost DID ban me for a similar triple-post error and I had to send a message indicating a bug to them in order to get a re-appeal. Thanks for the mercy, machf. :)

By the way, Draco, I'm curious - are you using a film-accurate map of Isla Muerta for this mod? Being a film-canon Nazi (at least for the first 3 movies), I'd be interested to see how that geography could be used to create some cool area designs. Of course, what you did with JPDS was more than good enough to ignore the uncertain geography. Although I do admit my first time playing that I thought the entire island was navigable and accurate to the movie. :P