Isla Muerta - Site C (Now Released - pg. 5)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Isla Muerta - Site C (Now Released - pg. 5)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooo some might or might not have wondered what happened to my 1.5WeekMod project... I got caught up on a certain SciFi Tres mod and it kinda killed my momentum for the project. May finish it one day... In the meantime, I've decided to switch the resources aimed at that project over to a primary mod. It feels good to have a single, major project going on, a la the good ol' days of JPDS.
My current main project has thus become "Site C", where the character explores the mystery of one of the other of the Five Deaths - Isla Muerta. You might think it is an InGen installation, but in fact, not quite.. Will be spilling updates/details as I go. First screen:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Isla Muerta - Site C

Post by tatu »

This will be interesting. Can't wait to know more :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Hmm secret island, JP1 gate, muerta Spanish for death. I think I Know where this is going
Spoiler: show
zombie dinos
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Ooh, this looks really good Draco. The atmosphere reminds of the early JPDS builds when the sky was not just all blue-ish fog. I can't wait for some updates!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I like it a lot! Glad to see another big mod coming into play. I've considered doing a mod based on one of the other islands, but never really got past that thought. If you need anything, give me a shout. :wink: I'd be happy to do a bit of modelling if you need it.

Just a random thought - any chance of adding a JPDS-like health system to this? It's pretty quick to code and helps change-up the gameplay a bit.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks TI. Yes I am seriously considering a JPDS-esque health system for SiteC. One of the things I'm also doing with this mod is to sort of retrieve the puzzliness that JPDS lost from not having the Embryonics Administration accessible. Also I've been watching a Dino Crisis playthrough and thus decided to set this mod during the night. Stay tuned.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

One of the things I'm also doing with this mod is to sort of retrieve the puzzliness that JPDS lost from not having the Embryonics Administration accessible.
Interesting. So does that mean lots of backtracking to access new areas with items you acquire through progress in other areas? (Like Resident Evil and Dino Crisis)?
Also I've been watching a Dino Crisis playthrough and thus decided to set this mod during the night. Stay tuned.
Ah, great! I always sort of imagined the EA in JPDS to have been similar to parts of Dino Crisis.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

You got it... Also going to take a hint from machf and a certain youtube reviewer and try to keep the exploration from being boring/repetitive.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:You got it... Also going to take a hint from machf and a certain youtube reviewer and try to keep the exploration from being boring/repetitive.
:D Great! The only advice I can really offer here is to make sure things are different each time you have to backtrack so that it still feels new. Some object teleportation triggers or show/hide could help change this, or alteration of lighting, fog, time of day, etc. :) Lots of unpredictability in the exploration could help as well, such as enemy spawns that have the Probability value or guns that only appear sometimes - sort of like in the game "Left 4 Dead". (ATX/CE's' randomized instance trigger works really well for random item locations). Doing this would also add to the replay value a lot.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:You got it... Also going to take a hint from machf and a certain youtube reviewer and try to keep the exploration from being boring/repetitive.
Take a look at the version of Jungle Road that was recently acquired... the views are so amazing, that you don't mind walking and walking without finding anything relevant to the gameplay (by that I mean that path leading to the beach eventually). Wherever there's not much to look around, you place instead stuff for the player to find.

I wonder if that may be one of the reasons they ended up scrapping the Plains level... too many open, empty spaces without anything to keep the player's attention/interest?

Draconisaurus wrote:I am seriously considering a JPDS-esque health system for SiteC.
Hmmm... unfortunately, that was one of the things that made JPDS too "un-Trespasser-ish" and more like your generic FPS...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I am seriously considering a JPDS-esque health system for SiteC.
Hmmm... unfortunately, that was one of the things that made JPDS too "un-Trespasser-ish" and more like your generic FPS...
I disagree, at least considering today's standards for games. Health items in FPS games are much less common, having been replaced by regenerating health. And the system in JPDS is more of a survival one than just collecting health packs ala Doom. Obviously that's an opinion thing though - I prefer to search for first aid rather than have my health recharge on its own since I find you can just sit and wait for your health to regenerate before moving into a hard section. With limited healing items, you might have to push through that hard section in order to heal at all! :?
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:I am seriously considering a JPDS-esque health system for SiteC.
I disagree, at least considering today's standards for games. Health items in FPS games are much less common, having been replaced by regenerating health. And the system in JPDS is more of a survival one than just collecting health packs ala Doom. Obviously that's an opinion thing though - I prefer to search for first aid rather than have my health recharge on its own since I find you can just sit and wait for your health to regenerate before moving into a hard section. With limited healing items, you might have to push through that hard section in order to heal at all! :?
Well, you can still use something else than a HUD to show health. Like a tattoo on the arm or something like that. I personally dislike any HUD element used in Trespasser. It feels so unnatural and weird personally, and completely removes the tattoo function, and ammo count voice overs, both that I like. It's a bit more fun when you don't really see your health points on screen all the time. You still don't have to use the generating health option, which is common in a lot of games today.

I agree with machf. The HUDs makes it feel more like the regular FPS, since you see ammo and health on screen. But yes, it is a personal preference.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I can definitely agree with tatu making the point that the HUDs feel unnatural. Tres was supposed to be an immersive experience, so including a HUD sort of removes the feeling of seeing the world through the character's eyes. That being said, the tatoo isn't all that realistic either. If only we had a way to make triggers that respond to the amount of health the player has, you could instead have a system where Anne sounds more and more in pain, perhaps have some heart beating sounds and heavy breathing as she takes more damage. If overlays were possible without all their inherit buggieness, you could darken the edges of the screen as well to simulate loss of vision.

As for the ammo count - I have mixed opinions on it. I like that she counts down the ammo as it runs out, but what I don't like is when Anne somehow is able to determine that a Desert Eagle with a magazine that hides the bullets inside of it has a certain amount of ammo. I'd prefer it if she used the alternate ammo count ("feels full", "feels about half") for guns that don't have visible ammo since she would have no way of knowing exactly how many bullets are in said weapon. Now if she were using a weapon that she loaded herself with individual rounds, like a shotgun or a bolt-action rifle, the normal ammo count ("five shots", "four", "three"...etc) should be used as she knows exactly how much ammo is in the weapon.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Code: Select all

If only we had a way to make triggers that respond to the amount of health the player has, you could instead have a system where Anne sounds more and more in pain, perhaps have some heart beating sounds and heavy breathing as she takes more damage. If overlays were possible without all their inherit buggieness, you could darken the edges of the screen as well to simulate loss of vision.
Trespasser have an actiontype to allow images to be shown on screen. And I'm pretty sure you would be able to make Anne make a sound depending on health, through the use of fire triggers etc.
As for the ammo count - I have mixed opinions on it.
I'm pretty sure it is meant that she is checking the clip, but they could implement it back in the days, so to me it makes sense.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: Trespasser have an actiontype to allow images to be shown on screen.
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out yet how to *remove* an image from the screen after displaying it... too bad the retail levels don't make use of that ActionType to find out more about it.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files