A PH Project

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

A PH Project

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Keep in mind this has no reflection on Tres Reloaded. This is just something I did out of boredom. Using Tatu's version for the final game, I decided to have some fun and port over JPOG dinosaur models. Of course, that's not all I intend to do.

I plan to make the level as close to the developer walkthrough as I can.

The Two Raptors in the clearing mentioned in the walkthrough. They're here in the PCGamer original but they have no AI or behavior. I also decided to use a separate texture and ID for the Young raptor. Unfortunately, the texture I used is kinda buggy. (it's positioned wrong)

Trying to replicate the Albertosaur attack. I don't have any behaviors coded in and it doesn't have its sounds ported over yet. Really unless the player is nearby, it just stands there and looks around at this point. As soon as I figure out how dinosaur Teleports work, I'll have him teleport in from a further distance and also try and figure out how to get him to come after you while you're inside without it looking stupid.

The T-Rex and Raptor now fight each other of course. Not really much of a fight as the T-Rex usually wins. Also why am I using that skin? Basically because I felt it was the best pick for the prototype T-Rex in JPOG form. I would love someone to replicate the prototype green rex skin for the JPOG rex if they'd like though.

Naturally the Para and Trike got JPOG versions added in as well.

And of course, let's not forget these two and the raptor at the end of the level.

Also, in addition the Antique Rifle can be found above the fireplace in the plantation house (it's intended to look like it was mounted on the wall.) It only carries one shot but the shot's powerful enough to kill a raptor in a single hit and severely injure other dinosaurs.

Todo:
-port over a Stegosaurus or two for the clearing.
-figure out a better way for the young raptor to flee in terror when injured
-add a teleport for the alberto
-add AI scripts for the Alberto so it actually does stuff
-add more types of weapons
-remove mipmapping from various models including ground textures because it looks horrendous.
-add voiceovers and add, remove, or move music cues as needed.
-add the tent parts to the Hunters' camp that are in the basement.
-add blood splats (who doesn't love blood splats, am I right?)
-fix puzzles so that they work better or properly.
-change weight of certain objects because they seem abnormally heavy. Could have been the result of a change to the way mass was measured during Tres's development. Most notably, the table in front of the door in the plantation house is super heavy.
Last edited by glitchhunter09 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: A PH Project

Post by Draconisaurus »

Excellent! Good to see someone modding PH 8)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well, I doubt anything I do will ever compare to what you've done my friend but thanks for the kind words.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks pretty good so far - I like the use of the JPOG models, though some of the skins are a bit buggy. The albertosaurus skin for JPOG is also a bit low-res, which sucks but looks acceptable. I was actually working on a 1024x Tres albertosaur skin for the JPOG model, but it is currently unfinished. I can send it to you if you like, but it looks like crap right now and the one you have is probably much better.

Ah, and if I'm not mistaken, the PH model used in the alpha/B96 has a breakable wall, which was presumably to be used during the albertosaur attack. You should definitely look into getting that to work right. :)

Aaaand is it actually possible to remove MipMapping from ground textures..? I didn't know that was do-able...will have to see about fixing that in my mods.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

iirc I think I did it in my Pine Valley thing I did. It requires you to export the terrain and add the "bool mipmap=false" to the T-script, then reimport it or whatever. When Tatu ported the textures over, he forgot to do this so it looks hideous. Keep in mind this won't stop the ground textures from blurring in really flat locations. This seems to be an issue with the retail engine itself. Perhaps Lee can fix the issue someday.

And yes I was well aware of the texture issues with the raptor. As for the Alberto, it looks okay, but yeah you're right its texturing does look off. As for the house, I planned on doing something like that, or having the player get an opportunity to drop that part of the house onto the Alberto's head. Like I said if I implement that, it's got to be done in a way that doesn't make the AI look stupid (which unfortunately isn't easy to do with Trespasser.)

Perhaps I should mention this project has Tres CE in mind.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Really nice seeing someone working on this! :D
Trying to replicate the Albertosaur attack. I don't have any behaviors coded in and it doesn't have its sounds ported over yet. Really unless the player is nearby, it just stands there and looks around at this point. As soon as I figure out how dinosaur Teleports work, I'll have him teleport in from a further distance and also try and figure out how to get him to come after you while you're inside without it looking stupid.
I would suggest to experiment a lot with various scripts and triggers in order to get this to work properly. I might also suggest trying to animate (via the ani script) the falling wall, otherwise it could become really buggy.
-remove mipmapping from various models including ground textures because it looks horrendous.
-change weight of certain objects because they seem abnormally heavy. Could have been the result of a change to the way mass was measured during Tres's development. Most notably, the chair in front of the door in the plantation house is super heavy.
The reason for the minimaps and weight is that I made directly port for most objects and used their original script to make it as close as PCGamer build as possible. As for the weight, I was aware that most stuff were more heavy than retail, but at least I made the level as a template for people to work with. :)
Ah, and if I'm not mistaken, the PH model used in the alpha/B96 has a breakable wall, which was presumably to be used during the albertosaur attack.
The PH model used in retail also have the breakable wall. One note is that the corners of the non breakable building does not have faces or textures, so it might look weird without the breakable wall.

Also, do you get better textures on most objects if you set mipmap to false? Or will it decrease the FPS too much?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Also, do you get better textures on most objects if you set mipmap to false? Or will it decrease the FPS too much?
Presumably, yes, the textures will look nicer from a distance, but it's probably easier to just use CE's high-res function. That way you can have textures that are larger than 256x to start. I'm not certain if the CE textures are used in mipmapping, but from what I can tell I don't think they are. They only appear once the object is close to the player.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm... Are you sure this mipmap = false thing works on the textures? Thinking about it, the mipmapping of the terrain comes from the global texture rather than the individual ones..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm... Are you sure this mipmap = false thing works on the textures? Thinking about it, the mipmapping of the terrain comes from the global texture rather than the individual ones..
That's why I was unsure of this. If it's all rendered as one big texture in the end and you can't change the mipmapping of that one, it doesn't seem like this will work...that's why Lee couldn't implement the CE textures feature on ground textures, because it just gets overridden when the engine renders the terrain.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

It does work. I did it and it does indeed load. Though the difference isn't EXTREMELY significant, it is noticable to a small margin.
I am having a small problem atm. Color palletes for blood splats.I've tried changing the terrain palletes to the blood's but it still ends up not looking like blood. It actually doesn't even look like guts and stuff either. It looks like puke...

I've kinda forgotten some things due to my time away from modding trespasser so that might be one of them as I've been able to successfully change the blood pallete before. Before someone asks, yes I was using Wally.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Still having problems getting the blood spats to look like blood. Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help me?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think I read something about them some time ago and how they use a certain palette or something..

EDIT: OK, from what I can tell, they must use the same palette as the terrain textures - and IIRC, that should always be the very first palette in the .SWP file.

So, you need a set of "master" blood splats which are in 24-bit (or 32-bit) format, and then apply the corresponding palette for whatever level you're importing them into...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Sadly, there's no actual red in said map. So that might be a little bit more difficult. The colors I've gotten so far are shit green, Piss yellow, and Vomit brown. I've also been messing with the terrain textures but for whatever reason, I can't seem to find the one that controls blood color.

We'll figure this out though. Is there any way to view pallete lines in Trespasser's swp files?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Trespasser Twilight (sig link currently broken.. *coughs at Tatu*) has Wally (Palette Editor); I stored a bunch of Tres terrain palettes under the naming scheme "Terrain_@@". You can check various retail terrain palettes for compatibility with the PH terrain textures by loading a palette while a PH terrain texture is open. I would recommend IT or possibly IJ; they def. have the red in them needed for blood trn textures to not look like vomit etc.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Trespasser Twilight (sig link currently broken.. *coughs at Tatu*)
We talked on Facebook about this and you got the correct link, not my fault you haven't updated it :P In any case you can find it in the download section under "Tools".

You could always just create a new palette based on all the PH ones including the blood one.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."