Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

1.5 Week Mods

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo I'm sure most of you have heard of and/or played the levels from Mini-Mod Mondays last year. Now that I have a laptop once more, I've been hard at work on my next ongoing project - 1.5 Week Mods (1.5WM). The first one has blasted my own socks off as I've made it.. It's amazing what you can do with enough focus, planning, and experience.

This week's 1.5WM iiiis... Temperate Rainforest.

As a bit of backstory - this mod is set on the novel version of Isla Nublar. To my knowledge, such a mod has not been made before for Trespasser. Have fun!

https://app.box.com/s/0wjglg1gl2c6d2oosxsfbjnb2ps35q07
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: 1.5 Week Mods

Post by TheIdiot »

Awesome! I've always wanted to do a novel Nublar mod, but RTJP has kept me preoccupied. Am going to give this a shot right now. Will definitely be reviewing this guy.

Ah, and I also like the idea of 1.5 Week mods since this gives you a bit more time to do stuff. Hopefully it doesn't force you to work too fast this time around. :)

EDIT: Alrighty then, review time! I made it all the way through at pretty decent speed, so here we go:
Spoiler: show
TEMPERATE RAINFOREST (TR)
By Draconisaurus

This level opens with the player immediately dropped into an enclosure on a misty, gray day, straight out of my own visualization of the novel. The foliage is beautiful and plentiful, and looks just like the cloud forest that Crichton describes. I begin to make my way along the fence and quickly come across my first dinosaur, an ouranosaurus. I have mixed feelings about this (and a few other dinosaurs encountered in the level): while I do like seeing dinosaurs that are uncommonly used, this mod is supposed to be set on the novel's Isla Nublar. We know exactly which dinosaurs were present on the island in the novel, so it's sort of odd to include new ones such as ouranosaurus, ceolophysis, and styracosaurus, which were never mentioned in the novel. Obviously there could have been some sort of secret cloning thing going on or whatnot, but I really would have liked to have seen more familiar faces than what is present here. :?
Passing the ouranosaur, I come to my first building: a small generator shed which fits perfectly with the theme of the level. Investigating inside, I find a small, gray keycard with a picture of Hammond on it. Taking this (and promptly forgetting I have it :sick: ), I exit the building and proceed out of the enclosure through an open gate (Later in TresEd I did discover a small wooden shack that appears to have been empty in another corner of the exhibit - bonus points for including off-the-path stuff like this). I quickly come across a dirt road, running away to my left and right. On my right stands a tall mountain, which I assume will be my final destination, so I take a left and follow the road along the electrified fences. A dirty trail catches my eye off to one side, so I follow it a short ways and come to a large ceolophysis nest, complete with eggs and angry nest guardians. Fleeing back to the road, I soon arrive at a large maintenance shed, which I find to be locked. A quick search of the exterior comes up with nothing, so I head back and continue down the road, noticing now a large structure in the distance. I'd also like to mention how nice the flora looks in this location - it is very fitting of the Isla Nublar theme, with the low plants covering a lot of ground to keep things looking realistic. My peaceful stroll is soon halted as I come across a wandering velociraptor, straight out of the PC Gamer release, dueling with a pair of ceolophysis! I'm really glad to see this Raptor used, and he fits into the Jurassic Park level perfectly and I was worried he wouldn't see the light of day. :D I sneak my way around the carnivores and find myself heading left at a fork in the road, passing a calm pond and a thirsty Raptor.
I hurry to get away from the mass of predators and soon come to a wrecked truck on the road, with a dead compy sitting in the rear. Wondering what became of the driver (and the unfortunate caged passenger), I search the area and am unfortunately greeted by another hungry Raptor. This guy however doesn't have a distraction that prevents him from eating me, so I am forced to flee from him, sprinting between trees and logs to give him the slip. This eventually leads me to a rather scenic small tower, presumably at the end of the road had I taken the right fork. The pesky Raptor doesn't seem to have been fazed by my weaving and is now camped out at the bottom of the tower, snarling and gnashing its jaws. Trapped at the top, I am forced to wait for the Raptor to move away from the base of the stairs, then leap to the ground and bolt for the structure I can see a short ways away. This Raptor is a clever girl, however, and moves right around the tower and begins to chase me. Music from the film begins booming in my head as I leap over logs and desperately make my way to the building. My superior navigation pays off and I make it to the building with the Raptor long behind me. It's little events like this that really make a level for me. :)
Coming around to the front of this building, I notice that it is made of "building blocks" - various objects put together to make something new. This always brings a smile to my face, and the interior looks just as great as the outside. However, I find the door linking further into the building to be locked via red card-reader. Investigating further, I find nothing of use and decide I need to get into this room. But where is the red card? About 10 minutes of wandering around later, I realize I've had that gray card the whole time and remember that the shed I passed needed exactly this. A facepalm later and I'm at the building, searching the interior. The search turns up the red keycard I needed, a Lindstradt air rifle, and a couple of fun easter egg-y references to some other giants of times long-past. :wink: I make my way back to the large building and use the red keycard appropriately. This opens the door to a small computer lab with another fun reference thrown in (I liked Anne's comment on this one), and, more usefully, a green keycard. I take this card in hand and make my way back along the road - I somehow assume I will need this to climb the mountain, despite having seen another gate or two that could potentially need it just as much.
Random intuition pays off however and, following a quick encounter with a Raptor which my rifle easily tranquilizes, I find myself crossing a nice bridge over a beautiful waterfall and opening a gate, which leads to a steep climb up the mountain. This was the one area of the level I didn't find very visually appealing - the steep, blank cliffs on either side of the road and the seemingly random placement of foliage was kind of a downer, especially considering how well thought-out the placement of foliage on the rest of the level seems. I felt that, should it be necessary to place tall cliffs on both sides of a narrow road, it might be better to roof off this road and make it a cave, or just remove the outside wall of cliffs and add a deadly drop instead.
As I reach the top of the road, I find myself coming face-to-face with another Raptor, coming down the road in front of me. A quick burst of rounds from my rifle and the Raptor is fast asleep. I sneak around the unconscious predator and find myself with a grand, foggy view over the landscape I just traversed. However, as I come to another neat building-block structure (which I *think* I recognize from that old SUM Reloaded level?), I pass some really obvious floating plants - something that is excusable if they are in some vague place way off the path, but definitely a problem when they are right in the middle of the main path. :? With a quick look around for any goodies, I enter the central part of the moutaintop building and find myself a Glock pistol - which I cram into my belt - and what appears to be a working radio. I fiddle around with it for a few seconds before radioing in my findings of loose carnivores on the island, which brings a close to this very fun medium-length level.
Map Design: 7/10 - Everything looked great and felt like I was really on Isla Nublar from the novel. I did think some areas could be made a bit less flat so as to add a bit more realism, and the mountain wasn't really that great, but these setbacks were made up for by the overall great layout and look to everything.
Gameplay: 4/10 - A pretty standard Tres level involving keycards that lead to keycards, etc. The lack of lethal weapons added a bit more to this level though, as I found myself locked in interesting encounters as I tried to escape through the well-designed forests. This is a case where a few simple map design choices really add to the gameplay.
Story: 3.5/10 - This is definitely the Novel's version of Isla Nublar, and I felt that I was there by the little indications such as the choice of buildings and fences. However, there wasn't much of a real story until the end, and I was unaware of my objective until that final little bit of text told me what I was supposed to be up to. I also likely wouldn't have been certain that this was Isla Nublar had you not mentioned this in the download - perhaps a little clue or two in the level itself would have fleshed this out better and in a more immersive manner.
Creativity: 8/10 - Well, it IS the first Novel Nublar level, so it's already got that going for it. The custom buildings were really well done, and the overall choice of objects and animals was appreciated. It really felt like you had an idea and carried through with it effectively. All of the custom-made little things to see added to what could have been an otherwise overly straightforward level.

OVERALL: 6/10
“...we haven't had any accidents for months now...Everything on that island is perfectly fine.”
Last edited by TheIdiot on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh yes. I did have to work pretty fast during "crunch time" in order to finish it in time for this morning. But yes - the MMMs had a tendency to exceed the original timetable. Not so with 1.5WM, so far.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Heh yes. I did have to work pretty fast during "crunch time" in order to finish it in time for this morning. But yes - the MMMs had a tendency to exceed the original timetable. Not so with 1.5WM, so far.
Nice work then! You don't really have to force yourself into a long crunch time, though - I'm sure people can wait the extra hours it takes for you to get some rest before a release.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*didn't see your feedback post edit*

Thank you! Glad it lived up to being a novel-Nublar creation. To be honest, I hadn't thought of selecting novel-specific dinosaurs... My guiding philosophy was adherence to the ambiance of the book and how I remembered it. IMO the coelophyses are perfect in the perspective I was using.. I still remember the coelophysis card from the JP toy release:
Click on Image
Thanks again for the review. 8)
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

Coool as! man I can't wait to give this a play!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thank you! Glad it lived up to being a novel-Nublar creation. To be honest, I hadn't thought of selecting novel-specific dinosaurs... My guiding philosophy was adherence to the ambiance of the book and how I remembered it. IMO the coelophyses are perfect in the perspective I was using.. I still remember the coelophysis card from the JP toy release:
That's exactly what I thought of too when I saw the coelophysis as well, so I guess really you succeeded in that regard! :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

This one was a bit boring, too quick to finish. Maybe because I took a shortcut to the top...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright everyone... This 1.5WM is a couple days late.. quite worth it, though. Don't want to spoil too much so, here it is...

Temporal Trespass

https://app.box.com/s/3zgqo0pqtk93p8s38wuo43b4qwpdgqig
Click on Image
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alright! Glad to see this guy finally coming to some point of fruition. :D I'm going to check it out immediately.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Forgot to write my review of Temporal Tres! So, here goes:
Spoiler: show
TEMPORAL TRESPASSER (TT)
By Draconisaurus

I just want to say that I've been looking forward to this level for quite some time! Draco and I had been discussing it a bit a while back, and so I was thrilled to see this finally come out in a playable form!

Anyway, the review itself shall begin with my initial impressions. You're dropped - or rather, teleported via quantum physics - into completely unfamiliar surroundings, with only a simple objective to guide you: find five samples of dinosaur skin, then get to the beach and use a "quantum phone" to escape. Armed with a trusty pistol and equipped with a strange, ceramic card which fans of Crichton's Timeline novel will recognize, you set off into what really looks like a prehistoric world. Indeed, you've been sent back to some unidentified timeframe and location back in the Mesozoic. Every single tree and plant in this level is 100% original to it, and it all looks up to today's Trespasser standards. I really hope to see some of these objects used in future levels (I know I'll be using them), because they are all top-notch quality, and there are several variations of each individual plant to create a seemingly infinite variety of flora. While the rocks are simply stock Trespasser rocks, they fit the level splendidly, though they clash somewhat with the terrain textures, which, while fitting of the time period, seem a little bit out-of-place here and there. The transition between the main, dirty ground texture and the dark brown-and-green swamp terrain is particularly jarring, and the few stock textures that are used in the level contrast heavily with the overall color and style of the rest of the terrain. I would suggest making all of the current new textures match up in color a bit more with the flora and rocks and new textures used instead of the vanilla ones to keep everything looking consistent and a bit more pleasing. The actual formation and layout of the terrain is also, somewhat disappointingly, a modification of Ascent and Ascent 2 in reverse, but is expanded and modified in a few ways to enable a bit more exploration. Nonetheless, everything about this level certainly feels and looks unique, and I urge you to check it out even if just to see the great new objects. I did, however, notice a number of floating objects, particularly around steeper sections of terrain, that are always a shame to see.

Beginning my hunt for the dinosaur skins as an agent of BioSyn (accidentally spelled "BioSin" in the intro text! :sick: ), I begin to march through the rough, ancient wilderness and quickly come to a fairly intriguing area - a giant pit torn into the terrain, with a dinosaur skeleton resting in it, at the end of what appears to be a path. A strange message appears on the screen, hinting at some kind of strange phenomena that I don't fully understand and giving the level a nice bit of intrigue (reminded me a bit of Nedry's K-OS misadventure!). I turn away from the bit and continue on my way through the forest, still pretty blown away by the sheer amount of beautiful new flora in this level, some of which, I soon learn, can also produce edible fruits! I was unable to find any in my playthrough, but later I found that there are a fair number of berry trees and banana plants that yield tasty morsels. I'm always glad to see a different health system incorporated into a level, so this only enhanced an already very unique level! The terrain gets pretty rough in places, but I am soon able to make my way into a valley which contains a muddy patch of wetland, whereupon I come across my first natural inhabitant of this era - a spinosaurus. The behemoth stomps around, furiously trying to snatch me up from among the forgotten swampy plants. I know I need to collect a sample from this thing, but I can't quite figure out how. I shoot him a few times, expecting a "flesh" object to drop out or something, but I simply can't figure it out! Eventually, the big thing tramples over me, and I am shown a message: "ACQUIRED: SPINOSAURUS FLESH". It seems you simply need to touch the dinosaurs in order to obtain the samples, so a hint that teaches how to do this at the start of the level would really be helpful here. Dodging away from the spinosaur, I proceed up a small hill and encounter my next target: a lone deinonychus, complete with a presently unused texture. With a couple of bullets, I down the vicious thing and retrieve a sample of its skin. As I look up from the downed raptor, I notice a strange, stone altar...stylized stone dinosaurs holding up some kind of basin. Whatever unknown ancients constructed this seem to have also constructed a now-ruined temple astride another ledge nearby, but I find nothing of use here. Still, the whole thing is strange - what humans were alive 100 million years ago? :o

I head away from the mysterious ruins and ascend a tall mountain ridge, coming to an intersection where another stone artifact sits forlorn. Taking a right at this fork, I move a bit further up the hill and come to an open clifftop view, overlooking a vast area of ridges and valleys. I spot an ouranosaurus grazing far below and take note to make it my next target, but what really catches my eye is the massive, walled stone city that lays in the opposite direction of the fork I just took. Excited to investigate more of this civilization, I head back and come to the entrance to the city. A huge stone pyramid looms over the city below, and a pair of stone heads eerily guard the gate. I make my way deeper into the city, passing the pyramid and entering a stone structure, wary of booby-traps. Despite a thorough sweep of the area, I am unable to find anything of value, and, while scrounging the ruins of another building, I am ambushed from behind by another deinonychus. A quick game of cat-and-mouse ensues, with me sprinting from building to building and the hungry raptor close behind. Soon, however, I am able to outwit the pea-brained lizard and exit the city with my pursuer far behind. Overall, I found the city to be a very interesting place to explore, but was somewhat disappointed to find no useful items or eye-candy artifacts lying around. Would have liked to have found perhaps a spear or an idol of sorts to take with me back to the present-day and prove my findings. :?

A short ways from the city, I find another of those cool stone altars, this one in the form of a gaping carnivore of some sort. Little time is available to examine the altar because a few seconds later I find a lone nanotyrannus hungrily glaring at me over its recent kill of a deinonychus. I give the small tyrannosaur a number of blasts from my pistol and it drops dead, allowing me to collect my third sample. Stepping around the corpse, I begin my descent into the valley where I spotted the ouranosaur. As I come to it, I unload a few rounds into its head and collect my fourth sample. With only one left, I proceed in the only direction as of yet unexplored - toward the ocean. Crossing another trail, I notice another intriguing assembly of structures a short distance away and make my way there. This ruined village is surrounded by a wooden wall (another of several great uses of stock objects, building-block style) and guarded by an army of stone statues, who, as I walk by, I feel might come alive and execute me at any moment for intruding in their sacred village. :| Fortunately, the mythical does not occur and I find myself in another small village area, with strange lines running across the ground not unlike the infamous Nazca Lines. I look around the village and again find nothing of use or value, but still feel a sense of wonder and mystery. I don't know how these things got here - nobody does - and the mystery feels greater than ever.

Tearing myself from the village, I begin to make my way along the coast, following a trail between some ridges and fighting off another deinonychus along the way. Soon, I pass another friendly ouranosaurus and make him a sacrifice to another pair of hungry deinonychus as I make my escape. 8) Passing another stone altar (all of which, might I add, look absolutely awesome) and warding off another attack by a furious maniraptoran, I encounter my fifth and final specimen for sampling, which in this case is a lone kentrosaurus grazing in another swamp. Toppling the beast in the name of industrial espionage, I take my last sample and begin to hunt for the beach where I will be sent back to our time via ITC timecage. A small bunker-like building at the top of a hill offers a nice view of the ocean, but again no items of value, and, more importantly, I find just beyond it the beach from which I am presumably supposed to summon the teleporter. I step out onto the beach and my suspicions are confirmed by a quick message, so I pull out my quantum phone and tap the button. I somewhat regret having to leave the ancient world behind and briefly consider staying, but ultimately I am whisked back in the time cage and the level comes to a glorious and successful close.
The final verdict is one of much praise indeed. I really liked almost everything about this level, and the few gripes I have far outweigh what I enjoyed here.

Map Design: 7.5/10 - While I of course didn't really like the re-use of AS terrain, it was made up for by having some new twists and turns as well as lots of cool new areas to explore. There was never a point at which I was walking in boredom to reach the next location, and the pacing was very good. A few minor problems with object placement and texture blending are the only small problems I had here.
Gameplay: 7.5/10 - A unique main objective, concept and goal are what made this level more interesting than it could have been without such. I was disappointed to discover, however, that the gun you use carries an extreme amount of ammo that will likely never run out, and that there were no alternative methods of bringing down dinosaurs. Still, the overall objectives made this level very fun, and the placement of dinosaurs made sure there was a good balance of action and exploration.
Story: 9.5/10 - Intrigue, mystery, sabotage...these are all present in the somewhat vague story in this level. I loved the combination of the Timeline and JP stories, and all of the subtle hints at other happenings involving time travel really gave this level a sense of history that it was left to the player to discover. A nearly flawless execution of these ideas packed into a medium-length level. The quantum phone and cage teleportation ideas are what elevate it to the near perfect score I award this level as this is some really outside-the-box stuff.
Creativity: 9/10 - Hats off to you for creating all of those plant models! Those alone elevate this level to quite a high creative point, but coupled with the concept of actually going back in time as well as the cool use of stock objects to make new things really won me over. The use of the AS terrain in a new way was also well done, though this level likely would have gotten a perfect for me had it used a unique terrain as well. Still, awesome work!

OVERALL: 8/10
“In reality, time doesn't pass; we pass. Time itself is invariant. It just is."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Many thanks, TI. Glad you enjoyed the level. 8)

I continue to insist that the use of existing Tres terrain is not a poor choice. I have various personal reasons, but a major one in this case is that it saves a TON of time; the level would have been nowhere near as long or well-oiled if time out of the 1.5 weeks had been taken to make one from scratch. I also find it critical that a fan level finally used the mysterious "hidden village" area of AS1.

I have to agree on the lack-of-artifacts disappointment; this was due to the time crunch I faced. Various other scriptings might have been done more complicatedly, were more time available. :pirate:

Do look forward to the foliage assets of this level being used in future mods. :nerd:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Many thanks, TI. Glad you enjoyed the level. 8)
Was very much looking forward to it already once you and I first started discussing such an idea back in like September, I think. :)
I continue to insist that the use of existing Tres terrain is not a poor choice. I have various personal reasons, but a major one in this case is that it saves a TON of time; the level would have been nowhere near as long or well-oiled if time out of the 1.5 weeks had been taken to make one from scratch. I also find it critical that a fan level finally used the mysterious "hidden village" area of AS1.
I completely understand that, and I definitely would have nicked you a bit harder had it been a level with no set time limit. I didn't dock you any points for re-using the terrain even so because you managed to do a really good job of both covering it up and adding new paths and areas to keep it interesting. However I really do prefer to see new terrains just as much as I like to see new objects, puzzles, animals etc. so unfortunately I have to consider this a negative, even if it is a very, very small one, in my analysis.
And..."hidden village" area? I thought the hidden village was supposed to be that small shrine atop the hill in PV.
I have to agree on the lack-of-artifacts disappointment; this was due to the time crunch I faced. Various other scriptings might have been done more complicatedly, were more time available. :pirate:
Of course, you can always go back and modify it if you want to update it to perfection in the future. I'm willing to re-evaluate my score if this ever becomes the case...even just some of the Mayan props from JPDS would add the tiny bit of extra detail that would bump up the score a bit. :)
Do look forward to the foliage assets of this level being used in future mods. :nerd:
Expect to see your cycads and maybe a few other plants in RTJP~Helipad - they look a whole lot nicer than the ones I currently have. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:..."hidden village" area? I thought the hidden village was supposed to be that small shrine atop the hill in PV.
That one iiiiis called the "precolonial village". The "HIDDEN VILLAGE" Tres music inspired a theory some time ago about a Spanish settlement having possibly been planned for the valley which the AS1 ruins overlook... Thought I'd *pay homage* to it.
Of course, you can always go back and modify it if you want to update it to perfection in the future. I'm willing to re-evaluate my score if this ever becomes the case...even just some of the Mayan props from JPDS would add the tiny bit of extra detail that would bump up the score a bit. :)
We'll see. Possibly next year.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Next 1.5WM is here - Hunters Camp. Takes place in the first segment of PH (can never remember if PH is b22 or b32...), complete with voiceovers, thicker foliage, and hunter tents.

Hunters Camp

https://app.box.com/s/pdtoee3ts0tybn6dlkv96lgpfrcoc7cm
Click on Image