ASUM - Ascent I, II and Summit (Public Release)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: ASUM - Ascent I, II and Summit (Public Release)

Post by TheIdiot »

That sounds great. I look forward to your release. Will you be including PH? And which version of the terrains are you using (as in, Build 116 JR, B96 JR, Alpha JR...etc)? I wouldn't mind sending you what I have so far to take a look at since the terrain in my version likely differs a bit - might be of use to you. :)
Thanks! Yes, PH will be included. As for JR and IJ, I have not decided yet. I might try to do different versions and see how they turn out :) As for PV, I will go with b96 but removed the hill on the side which is flat in the earlier versions. I will also use the island made by terrain in LAB and not the objects (from PC/E3 PV).
Please, if you don't mind, I would love to take a look! Might also save me some time as you have fixed the crash at the stair puzzle in IJ ;)
Sounds good. As for the levels, what I went with:
JR - PC Gamer
PH - PC Gamer
IJ - PC Gamer, with the stairs from retail added in.
IT - B96, but with the missing gate added in.
PV - B96, with the hill removed and the streams all patched up. Didn't use Lone Pine Island though as I thought it looked weird as terrain.
Everything else is stock B96 with a few edits to fix up places where you could get stuck on the terrain. The entire island is also present with some basic landforms added and a completed coastline. I was considering patching in B96's IJ canyon to the west of the current IJ so as to include everything, but I couldn't get it to look good without ruining the terrain. Note that if you DO decide to go with B96/B116 IJ, the crashing problem will likely return as you will have to completely replace most of IJ, which will cause all of my terrain optimizing to disappear. Oh, and the level also has a CE day/night cycle implemented, which is something you might want to look at since the fog and time of day changes over the course of the vanilla game. Even just triggers to set the fog, shadows, and lighting at the start of each level would be something to look into. Anyway, I'll send you the files later, I'm tired as hell right now. :)
Haha yes. When I took a look, the Mayan city got like 15 or so? x)
That to me is way too many, especially for that area, since the Raptors tend to die there by tripping over objects.
Heheh hmmm. Well my opinion on the gunless area is that it is rather boring as such.. Without ammo it's pretty much just a bunnyhop marathon :yum:
Try it without the bunny-hop! It's really quite challenging. To me, it's cheating in Tres to bunny-hop away from dinosaurs in any circumstance: my rules dictate that you cannot bunny-hop so long as any CAnimal is awake. It's fine if you're just traversing a big area with nothing to encounter, but running from Raptors that way is a no-no.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

*double post alert* EGH! EGH! EGH! :p

I shall bunny-hop if I so choose... :pirate:

EDIT: Errr what.. The double-post is gone now.. x_X TI your post above mine here was.. hmm.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

*double post alert* EGH! EGH! EGH! :p
EDIT: Errr what.. The double-post is gone now.. x_X TI your post above mine here was.. hmm.
Yeah, the internet bugged out and refreshed several times while posting. I just deleted the double post. :P

I shall bunny-hop if I so choose... :pirate:
Hoppers gonna hop, I guess. 8)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Heheh hmmm. Well my opinion on the gunless area is that it is rather boring as such.. Without ammo it's pretty much just a bunnyhop marathon :yum:
Well, carry guns from the start then ;) Anyway, guns might be added or not. Some dinosaurs might get removed or not. In any case, I don't believe Trespasser is suppose to be a game where you need to kill all dinosaurs. Most also got anchors, so they won't follow you forever, and I plan on working on their AI scripts later on.
Sounds good. As for the levels, what I went with:
JR - PC Gamer
PH - PC Gamer
IJ - PC Gamer, with the stairs from retail added in.
IT - B96, but with the missing gate added in.
PV - B96, with the hill removed and the streams all patched up. Didn't use Lone Pine Island though as I thought it looked weird as terrain.
Everything else is stock B96 with a few edits to fix up places where you could get stuck on the terrain. The entire island is also present with some basic landforms added and a completed coastline. I was considering patching in B96's IJ canyon to the west of the current IJ so as to include everything, but I couldn't get it to look good without ruining the terrain. Note that if you DO decide to go with B96/B116 IJ, the crashing problem will likely return as you will have to completely replace most of IJ, which will cause all of my terrain optimizing to disappear. Oh, and the level also has a CE day/night cycle implemented, which is something you might want to look at since the fog and time of day changes over the course of the vanilla game. Even just triggers to set the fog, shadows, and lighting at the start of each level would be something to look into. Anyway, I'll send you the files later, I'm tired as hell right now. :)
Nice! As the Plantation House will be moved to PH from JR, I think using the PC Gamer version for JR terrain is a good choice. As for the Lone Pine Island, I will use it for now, but I might modify it a bit, so you can access it through some hidden path. I think the walkthrough mention an off shore island with some secret planned on it, might do that! ;)

I both like and dislike the IJ canyon. I do like the area from the early IJ, the challenge here it to make it appealing and probably place a few new objects to make it interesting, but that should be easy!

Also like what you say you have done with the terrain :D I also like the day/night cycle. That will help since you can't really change sky texture, instead of having the same one. Thanks!

And as for the guns in the Mayan city, they will be cleaned through at some point. I'm thinking of doing an overhaul on the guns anyway, cause I believe there are too many and some are just in weird locations in some levels.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: No worries. I'm gonna try do that myself, and I already have Beach, Industrial Jungle, Ascent I, II and Summit finished (with height fix and everything) ;) So if you don't have time for it now, I'm working on my own version :D Next major plan for this ASUM level is for me to add LAB to it, after I fixed everything in it of course!
Hmmm... I'd say, combine Beach, Jungle Road, Plantation House and Industrial Jungle into a single level ("Jungle"), then Town, Plains (whatever we have from it), Pine Valley and Lab into another one ("Civilization"), and leave Ascent1+2 and Summit together as they are now ("Mountain").
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I second machf's idea...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Well, I want to try to make everything into 2 huge levels only. Also, IJ, IT (and plains) share the same terrain, so splitting away IT from IJ will only make a lot of spare terrain.

And as a note, this is mainly an experiment, to see how far you can go into turning the Trespasser levels into "one" huge one. It will be easy enough to split the levels later if needed. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I also agree that machf's idea works very well. However, if you can do it in two levels, I'd like to see that first and then the three-level plan later. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I also like machf's idea.. Hmm, let me see, here's how I would do it:

JU (BE + JR + PH + IJ), TO (IT), SU (PV + LAB + AS1 + AS2 + SUM)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:I also like machf's idea.. Hmm, let me see, here's how I would do it:

JU (BE + JR + PH + IJ), TO (IT), SU (PV + LAB + AS1 + AS2 + SUM)
Make it TO (IT + PL).

I'd group them maybe by foliage type, then. Pine trees start at PV and go from there on.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

The last three levels are popular with me, I really love the whole calling the army from the summit and shit, the alpha raptor is dope too!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Make it TO (IT + PL).

I'd group them maybe by foliage type, then. Pine trees start at PV and go from there on.
Hmmm yeah... I have a new version then:

JU (BE + JR + PH + IJ), TO (IT + PL), SU (PV + LAB + AS + SUM)

Much more balanced.
tatu

Post by tatu »

We'll see. I still haven't really decided how to do it. It will come in a later stage when more levels are done.

One reason I do this is that I want the player to be able to backtrace to already finished levels if wanted. For example making IT+PL into its own level would mean a player wouldn't be able to go back into PL from PV. In the end I will probably try different level combinations depending on stability.

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Epic piece of work 8)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Should probably bring up that it seems at least one of the dead hunters was originally intended for Pine Valley. in the PCgamer build at least, the area where the Raptor Nest would be in build 96 has the dialog regarding one of the dead hunters and the the "An Ex-policeman, a sort of soldier of fortune....." then a few steps later Anne says "Hmmm.... the great white hunter."

Also, the Tribe B. Raptors wandering around not doing anything is a thing from build 96's AS1 and also one of the Raptors in retail IJ does this as well. I think it's an AI feature. They wander around and don't care about the player unless attacked. After that they'll come after the player. So, they're basically non-hostile raptors that don't really care for interacting with the player.