ASUM - Ascent I, II and Summit (Public Release)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

ASUM - Ascent I, II and Summit (Public Release)

Post by tatu »

Code: Select all

This level combine Ascent I, II and Summit into one huge level without any level load between.
The project started to try out if Trespasser could handle all 3 levels together as they all share the same
terrain space. As for now, everything is playable, even tho it still contain some minor issues that will be
fixed in the future.

NOTE: Have only been tested with the latest Trespasser CE version (as of March 2017). ATX loads the level fine.
Not tested in retail Trespasser but it should work.
I've been working on this for almost 2 years now. Due to fixing foliage 13000+ foliage objects by hand I've been going back and fourth with this project. However, I am now ready to release it for everyone to try it out. As it only combines the levels, along with stuff from the beta (build 96), it might not seem too appealing to a lot of people as the last three levels usually are not that popular among fans.

Anyway, have fun trying it out, and please report any issue you find, so I can fix them. The readme already contain known issue and future plans, but please, report any issue you find. :) Have fun!

Download:
http://www.trescom.org/files/Levels/ASU ... Release.7z (16.2 MB)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: ASUM - Ascent I, II and Summit (Public Release)

Post by TheIdiot »

Hey now, this is pretty cool! :D Will give this a playthrough and let you know how it works.
it might not seem too appealing to a lot of people as the last three levels usually are not that popular among fans.
I've never been able to figure out why. AS1 is one of my favorite levels, it's probably the hardest level in the game combat-wise, and the Mayan Village and T-Rex at the end have always interested me. AS2 isn't too bad, but I guess it gets kind of tedious as most of it is just walking a narrow path up the mountain.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Thanks!

Yeah, I think a lot of people are not a fan of Ascent I because the first bigger part is quite empty (comparing to earlier levels). And now with the extended beginning from Build 96, it's even longer :P But I mean, the story in Ascent meant to be more interesting, with all the dead hunters and Hammond speaking about them, but that will be added ;)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just played a bit - got killed by an alberto on the way to the Mayan stairs. Liking it so far! Can never get enough of the new area from the beta..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote: Yeah, I think a lot of people are not a fan of Ascent I because the first bigger part is quite empty (comparing to earlier levels). And now with the extended beginning from Build 96, it's even longer :P But I mean, the story in Ascent meant to be more interesting, with all the dead hunters and Hammond speaking about them, but that will be added ;)
Yeah, having finally finished trekking across the whole landscape, I do definitely think the first section of AS1 goes on a bit too long with the extra section from the beta. Still, it was quite fun. I went through it carrying the Toxin Rifle all the way to the Summit (died like 20 times trying to evade Raptors in AS1 and the first bit of AS2) and managed to use it to down two of the final three Raptors. :P I noticed that weaponry was quite scarce, which was great since I really don't like the way there's a gun every 20 feet in retail. The first albertosaur also managed to chase me all the way to the ocean, so I had to dodge Raptors (being out of ammo nearly always) while constantly trying to keep ahead of the albertosaur. Really had some fun with that! Also had a really intense encounter with a Raptor while climbing Mount Watson where I was weaponless and without cover, so I had to dodge around the Raptor while trying to avoid falling until I was able to charge into him and push him over the cliff (which made me think it might be wise to add simple triggers to kill any Raptors that fall off the mountain :wink: )

The only major bugs I caught were that a lot of the Tribe B Raptors in AS1 will simply run past you upon waking up. I think this could mean they are tethered to an incorrect anchor and are making their way back through the level to reach it. Additionally, some of the same Raptors also have really low WakeUp distances...like REALLY low. Again, this was only the case with some of them - others woke up at a fairly decent range. I'd like to see all of the dinosaur's WakeUp distances increased to like 100-150 or so, since that causes them to stay awake much longer and chase you for quite a distance. Ah, and I also noticed how great the levels look when all of the ferns are correctly sitting on the terrain, so huuuge pat on the back there!
I might do a full review on this level later since I feel like it deserves a lot of credit, despite its simple premise. Great stuff, tatu. :D Makes me want to work more on the full island level I was making...really want to cross the entire island carrying the Toxin Rifle from the Beach to kill the final Raptor with it. That would be the ultimate challenge.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Just played a bit - got killed by an alberto on the way to the Mayan stairs. Liking it so far! Can never get enough of the new area from the beta..
Haha :D
I do definitely think the first section of AS1 goes on a bit too long with the extra section from the beta
Yeah, it is a bit long. But I think the main issue with it is the lack of stuff around it. It only contain dinosaurs and foliage :P
I noticed that weaponry was quite scarce, which was great since I really don't like the way there's a gun every 20 feet in retail
I haven't put in any new guns or removed any, so all are either from retail or the beta :)
which made me think it might be wise to add simple triggers to kill any Raptors that fall off the mountain
That is a good idea. They do survive any length of fall (like the one at the start at the Summit).
The only major bugs I caught were that a lot of the Tribe B Raptors in AS1 will simply run past you upon waking up.
Yes, I noticed that too during my testing. I haven't changed any position or script of them so I guessed it might been from CE (with additional dino behaviors on). But I do know that some anchors are a bit off. Same goes for the wakeup one, I used CE for testing and it got an external function to increase it :D
Ah, and I also noticed how great the levels look when all of the ferns are correctly sitting on the terrain, so huuuge pat on the back there!
Thanks! It took some time, and was a pain in the ass. As I removed and replaced all those combined foliage objects, which both Ascent levels mainly used, it took some time to get it done. Using solo objects also allowed them to fit better everywhere. :)
Makes me want to work more on the full island level I was making
No worries. I'm gonna try do that myself, and I already have Beach, Industrial Jungle, Ascent I, II and Summit finished (with height fix and everything) ;) So if you don't have time for it now, I'm working on my own version :D Next major plan for this ASUM level is for me to add LAB to it, after I fixed everything in it of course!

And like I said before. This release is more of a base release. Any suggestion on how to make it better is welcome. Adding more stuff or removing stuff is also fine, it will be a project in development, kinda like an Early Access game. There are some stuff I personally wanna change (like some terrain parts etc), but I felt like it would feel better for me if I first release a more or less "unaltered" version with all levels combined :)

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I've been playing it earlier. Haven't been killked, but it crashes sometimes. Physics, I think. Fortunately, I've saved often. Wow, this is a long level.
Oh, and I renamed the level files to "Asum" using GeomAdd, so that I could place them next to the regular files in the data folder.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:I've been playing it earlier. Haven't been killked, but it crashes sometimes. Physics, I think. Fortunately, I've saved often. Wow, this is a long level.
Oh, and I renamed the level files to "Asum" using GeomAdd, so that I could place them next to the regular files in the data folder.
Hm, could you tell me if there is certain location it crashes? If you think it is physics.

I always for some reason thought renaming a level in GeomAdd is not recommended unless it is pretty fresh level, but it is totally safe?
The only major bugs I caught were that a lot of the Tribe B Raptors in AS1 will simply run past you upon waking up.
I have now taken a closer look at this issue. The issue happen because I combined foliage and other objects from both levels which meant some objects changed name, which made their anchor appear too far away. This will be fixed in the next release. :)

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
machf wrote:I've been playing it earlier. Haven't been killked, but it crashes sometimes. Physics, I think. Fortunately, I've saved often. Wow, this is a long level.
Hm, could you tell me if there is certain location it crashes? If you think it is physics.
Different ones. But I've always been jumping aropund and pushing things when it's happened. So what I do is walk carefully the next time.
I always for some reason thought renaming a level in GeomAdd is not recommended unless it is pretty fresh level, but it is totally safe?
In this case, it is. No problems loading the level whatsoever. And remember, Pens is basically a renamed Lab, too...
I have now taken a closer look at this issue. The issue happen because I combined foliage and other objects from both levels which meant some objects changed name, which made their anchor appear too far away. This will be fixed in the next release. :)
Oh, so THAT is what causes it... and I thought those raptors had gotten news of how many I had already slaughtered and decided to just run away... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haven't finished yet but so far this is a really nice level.. Will note that the area after the build96 start section is entirely devoid of guns... I recommend adding the ones which were there in b116d.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Different ones. But I've always been jumping aropund and pushing things when it's happened. So what I do is walk carefully the next time.
In this case, it is. No problems loading the level whatsoever. And remember, Pens is basically a renamed Lab, too...
Alrighty, cool!
Oh, so THAT is what causes it... and I thought those raptors had gotten news of how many I had already slaughtered and decided to just run away... :wink:
Haha yes ;) Well who knows, might be both ;)
Haven't finished yet but so far this is a really nice level.. Will note that the area after the build96 start section is entirely devoid of guns... I recommend adding the ones which were there in b116d.
Are you talking about the guns there are at the beginning on b116d Ascent? At the pens? Those are the one at the start of b96 start. There are a few in the b96 start until the b116d start and only a few raptors.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I mean in this general area:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

No worries. I'm gonna try do that myself, and I already have Beach, Industrial Jungle, Ascent I, II and Summit finished (with height fix and everything) ;) So if you don't have time for it now, I'm working on my own version :D Next major plan for this ASUM level is for me to add LAB to it, after I fixed everything in it of course!
That sounds great. I look forward to your release. Will you be including PH? And which version of the terrains are you using (as in, Build 116 JR, B96 JR, Alpha JR...etc)? I wouldn't mind sending you what I have so far to take a look at since the terrain in my version likely differs a bit - might be of use to you. :)
Draco - I think there were some Desert Eagles and a rifle behind some rocks a bit further down the valley, as well as a sledgehammer. Personally I'd prefer it if this area remained without guns as it adds a lot of challenge to the area. If you don't have a weapon, you can always weave between trees and boulders and hope to throw off any pursuing Raptors. :wink: This area is known for being difficult due to lack of firepower and I think throwing in extra guns would make it both too easy and too same-y (considering the amount of guns in the rest of the game).
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:I mean in this general area:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
I did run a check through Ascent retail version and there are only like 3-4 guns there until the ocean area. :)
That sounds great. I look forward to your release. Will you be including PH? And which version of the terrains are you using (as in, Build 116 JR, B96 JR, Alpha JR...etc)? I wouldn't mind sending you what I have so far to take a look at since the terrain in my version likely differs a bit - might be of use to you. :)
Thanks! Yes, PH will be included. As for JR and IJ, I have not decided yet. I might try to do different versions and see how they turn out :) As for PV, I will go with b96 but removed the hill on the side which is flat in the earlier versions. I will also use the island made by terrain in LAB and not the objects (from PC/E3 PV).
Please, if you don't mind, I would love to take a look! Might also save me some time as you have fixed the crash at the stair puzzle in IJ ;)
This area is known for being difficult due to lack of firepower and I think throwing in extra guns would make it both too easy and too same-y (considering the amount of guns in the rest of the game).
Haha yes. When I took a look, the Mayan city got like 15 or so? x)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heheh hmmm. Well my opinion on the gunless area is that it is rather boring as such.. Without ammo it's pretty much just a bunnyhop marathon :yum: