More problems with terrain import

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

More problems with terrain import

Post by TheIdiot »

I haven't been able to figure this out and it's driving me insane and severely holding up the development of RTJP. I've managed to finally convert the RTJP Nublar terrain from .trr to .wtd through GUIApp without any problems, but of course, when I load it up in Trespasser with the wtd file active, it crashes. Loading it in GUIApp gives me this error message:
Critical assertion failed!

.\Source\Lib\EntityDBase\WorldDBase.cpp

Line #:2346

Press IGNORE to supress further asserts
However, while before, GUIApp wouldn't load the terrain whatsoever, now it actually loads the level almost perfectly with no other errors, and all of the terrain seems to generate flawlessly. But Trespasser still will not load the level no matter what! I'm running out of ideas here and I don't understand what might be wrong with the terrain. Does anyone know what this error is and how I might fix it?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: More problems with terrain import

Post by tatu »

I used to get that error a lot in the old GUIApp or older CE GUIApp, however, rarely got it in the latest CE version.

I can't really help without looking at the terrain file itself (preferably the max file).
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

It's okay, tatu, it wasn't the terrain after all. Thanks though. :)

What the problem actually is seems to be something I've never encountered before - it's the bloody player! Whenever I import a player model into the level, whether it be Anne, Diane, Nedry or whatever, the game simply crashes right before it finishes loading. I've never seen this before and I have no idea what could be causing this. I can start the level and fly around normally, but as soon as I get a player in there, it's toast...and this applies to any level, too. I even made a clean one from scratch and got the exact same issue. What could this possibly be?

EDIT: Ugh, I truly AM an idiot! The problem definitely has something to do with the poorly optimized terrain that was imported to the level. The game is crashing due to vertex overload! Frustratingly obvious but easily fixable now. So with this knowledge, does anyone know of a quick and easy way to reduce the polycount in 3DS Max without losing too much detail? I've tried Optimize and ProOptimize, but they leave those areas of unnecessary small polygons that can be taken away without issue. The level itself actually works fine now with the terrain detail values lowered a bit, though it is clearly in need of optimization. GAH! Almost 3 months of trying to fix this and it was the easiest thing ever...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice that you found out the issue!

As for 3ds Max, I'm not that good at it. However, one thing to know is that GUIApp's terrain converter can add missing terrain. So if you would make an area 1010x900 it will add terrain so it becomes 1024x1024. The same applies if you remove parts of the terrain anywhere :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI - theeee thing to do to reduce terrain complexity is to right-mouse-button drag over quads in Terrain Edit Mode. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:Nice that you found out the issue!

As for 3ds Max, I'm not that good at it. However, one thing to know is that GUIApp's terrain converter can add missing terrain. So if you would make an area 1010x900 it will add terrain so it becomes 1024x1024. The same applies if you remove parts of the terrain anywhere :)
Yeah, I found that out when importing Trespasser's Isla Sorna. I cut off a fair amount of unused space on the Nublar heightmap to fix it.
Draconisaurus wrote:TI - theeee thing to do to reduce terrain complexity is to right-mouse-button drag over quads in Terrain Edit Mode. ;)
Only problem is that's pretty time consuming when your level is 4096x4096 and has an incredible amount of excessive detail. :sick: I'm thinking that's gonna have to happen anyway though. I go around optimizing the areas that I am working on at minimum.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Only problem is that's pretty time consuming when your level is 4096x4096 and has an incredible amount of excessive detail. :sick: I'm thinking that's gonna have to happen anyway though. I go around optimizing the areas that I am working on at minimum.
Ah damn..