A PH Project

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: A PH Project

Post by glitchhunter09 »

So I need to change the palletes of all the terrain? also, I have wally. That's what I've been using.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, the actual palettes are stored in the PID file, with the bitmaps stored in the SWP file.
What is it that you want to do?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Have Red blood spats. what else? I'm not doing the "vomit brown" crap they did with TC isle. I can't get the blood splats to be red no matter what I do.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I know you want red blood splats, I mean, what do you want to do with the level?
You need to start with fresh terrain textures which use a palette that contains some red... there's no other way.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Again, I suggest Wally to load a certain palette into each terrain texture from PH..

*TresTwilight link fixed*
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I did that. it's not working. AT ALL.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Describe the steps you are taking..
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Actually, I didn't remove all the ground textures. I probably should have in the beginning but It's kinda late for that now.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Kinda late by a few months, but Tatu helped me out and managed to get blood splats working in the proper color, so thank you Tatu. With that out of the way, I'll be turning my attention to the other problem: How to handle the warp to IJ. As it's pretty obvious, the place where IJ should start doesn't match PH's geography very well. From what I learned from Seamus on Twitter, it was an issue the devs faced too. It might be one of the reasons PH was ultimately cut. (the other being it was just too small of a level).

Also, I learned what the "Balancing Beam" from the 1997 walkthrough probably is from Seamus too. (its section is blank in said walkthrough) He mentioned that in later versions of the level, one of the other devs got a beam working that you could use to climb into the top floor of the house without going inside (iirc anyway.) I'm guessing it was an alternative to blasting open the doors that had the table in the way. The player could use the beam to get in from the open roof, and then go down the stairs to move the table out of the way so that the doors could be opened freely.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Glad to hear this is still in progress!

Also really interesting information about the beam. I knew that they made some way to get access to the building through the outside and not doors. I wonder if another PH build survived (with the furniture too).
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The disjoint between PH and IJ terrain could easily be fixed. I can't imagine they would cut the level from that, or that it would be a real difficulty. What does seem like a large issue, though, is preventing the player from getting to IJ before they have explored the rest of the level to the West, such as the beach and the House itself. Seems to come down to poor level-boundary planning. Then again, they may have had a plan and simply not gotten to it, or the plan they had did not end up working in the engine.

This balancing beam bit sounds quite intriguing and provides a more solid target for the "Enter the Plantation House" puzzle. Thanks for finding it!

Seamus on Twitter... I'm afraid I can't glide by this with a simple "ooo that's cool!" Us TresComers need to speak up when we have Tres Dev contact, especially when that contact yields info about Trespasser! Points after this would be: Do you wish to be our official contact with him where Twitter is concerned? What all details about Tres has he revealed? This sort of thing needs to be cataloged a la TresCom.org dev interviews, such that 1) the info can be found and read in a location which makes sense for seekers to look in 2) people who site this or related dev comments will have both a notorious location to point at and the benefit of others probably having seen it as well (such as what happens when TresCom.org gets a news post).

That's all the sticky points from me!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I don't really press Seamus for a whole lot. Actually, I try not to bother him too much. I can't remember when or where he mentioned the balancing beam thing. I think someone on Trescom posted it a while ago. Not positive. He did ask another dev about the geography issues for PH on twitter once when I asked him about the level's exit. Don't think the other guy replied though. Other than that, he's definitely impressed with the work we've done on the game.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm glad to hear the story behind the balancing beam, but I agree with Draco - the rift between PH and IJ doesn't seem substantial enough to completely cut it. Some of the problem I notice however with IJ and PH seems to be the fact that leading the player into IJ is reather difficult as the entrance to IJ isn't really obvious when you're in PH, as you're more focused on the Plantation House up ahead. That being said, you CAN definitely merge PCGamer IJ with PH, but you have to tweak the terrain quite a bit to make it fit.

I would be very insterested to hear Seamus' insight into the other puzzles in the walkthrough which didn't make the cut. :nerd:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Curious to know how far they got with the Plains.. but I'm not sure what that Seamus's area was.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Honestly, you could go ask him on Twitter. He'll probably answer too. He likes us. Just don't go nuts with questions.

In other news, this is something I did after Tatu added the blood splat colors in and I got the files back.

I wasn't exactly sure how they intended to lay out the hunters' camp but I made a debris field along the riverbed to kinda show the wreakage from the movie.