TresEd Replacement Proposal

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

TresEd Replacement Proposal

Post by glitchhunter09 »

A long time ago Rexhunter99 wanted to work on a replacement for TresEd. However, the Trescom admins supposedly didn't want one for whatever reason. I think we need one because TresEd's age shows. It doesn't work quite right on my Windows 7. I mean it runs but it has some little graphical glitches. Plus Geomadd is buggy as hell too. Both haven't been updated in years. What I'm afraid of is eventually one or both of them will stop working as OS's keep getting newer.

It's about time we get a new level editor, possibly with the Geomadd features as part of it so that we don't have to keep closing the program and opening it again. Also we need to research porting over Bumpmaps anyway so this will be a good time to do that. I could probably get Rexhunter to code one but you guys would have to want it. Alternatively, I'm sure someone else will pick up the project in the future.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: TresEd Replacement Proposal

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:A long time ago Rexhunter99 wanted to work on a replacement for TresEd. However, the Trescom admins supposedly didn't want one for whatever reason.
Huh? That's the first time I've heard such a thing, and it makes no sense. Everyone is more than willing to welcome a new editor...
I think we need one because TresEd's age shows. It doesn't work quite right on my Windows 7. I mean it runs but it has some little graphical glitches.
I'd say lots rather than little, but...
Plus Geomadd is buggy as hell too.
Yup. In fact, I'd suggest working on a replacement for GeomAdd first.
Both haven't been updated in years. What I'm afraid of is eventually one or both of them will stop working as OS's keep getting newer.

It's about time we get a new level editor, possibly with the Geomadd features as part of it so that we don't have to keep closing the program and opening it again. Also we need to research porting over Bumpmaps anyway so this will be a good time to do that. I could probably get Rexhunter to code one but you guys would have to want it. Alternatively, I'm sure someone else will pick up the project in the future.
As I said, I don't know why you're under the impression that a new editor was vetoed... I thought RH99 just had no time to work on that anynmore and abandoned the idea.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Being one who talked a lot with RH99 when he was talking about a new editor - TresComa admins did not disapprove anything, Rex simply didn't have the time for it. He did actually come as far to be able to load the Trespasser terrain into a program (buggy tho).

As for me, GeomAdd and TresEd works fine on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop. Mainly it is hardware causing problems and not the OS afaik.

As for Bumpmaps. In Vanilla Trespasser, only Software mode can read them, Hardware mode does not. Trespasser CE can use bumpmaps in Hardware mode by placing the bumpmaps in the texhw folder in the data folder.

As for creating new tools. Best would be to get the source codes for GeomAdd and TresEd instead, which as always, is working on. At this moment I doubt we have anyone with the required skills to make new tools AND have the time to do it.

However, since we now have the source code for the formats, it should be easier to create a new editor with less bugs than TresEd and GeomAdd.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

While I do agree that it would be nice to have a new editor with some neat new features, I think TresEd remains perfectly fine for the time being. I know that TresEd can have glitches on modern video cards (for example, it won't draw land shadows on my GTX 970), but it's definitely not completely useless. What kind of problems are you having, Glitch?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Oh no it's quite usable for me. I was just saying we never know when it will stop working because of new OS's. As for the whole Rexhunter thing, I swear he told me that. It may not have been you guys that he was referring to or I may have just heard wrong.

As for graphical glitches, the Coordinates of my current location won't show up (I just get blank white rectangles) and the gridlines for the terrain are always visible even outside of terrain edit mode.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote: As for graphical glitches, the Coordinates of my current location won't show up (I just get blank white rectangles) and the gridlines for the terrain are always visible even outside of terrain edit mode.
Luckily I managed to get rid of the first one, but the second one depends on some OpenGL settings (used to be called "conformant texture clamp", I think) which I can't find anymore on more recent drivers...

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=239897
Interestingly, I realized that I had this fix installed in TresEd's folder since 2009 but not anymore...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Yeah, as said before. Most TresEd issues are not OS related but Hardware related. The Coordinates glitch I have only experienced on my laptop that had ATI graphic card.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

machf wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote: As for graphical glitches, the Coordinates of my current location won't show up (I just get blank white rectangles) and the gridlines for the terrain are always visible even outside of terrain edit mode.
Luckily I managed to get rid of the first one, but the second one depends on some OpenGL settings (used to be called "conformant texture clamp", I think) which I can't find anymore on more recent drivers...

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=239897
Interestingly, I realized that I had this fix installed in TresEd's folder since 2009 but not anymore...
So about the Coordinates glitch, how do I fix that? That's actually more annoying than the other one (especially since I take screenshots for Trespasser's TCRF articles which btw is now a featured article on TCRF wiki)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote: So about the Coordinates glitch, how do I fix that? That's actually more annoying than the other one (especially since I take screenshots for Trespasser's TCRF articles which btw is now a featured article on TCRF wiki)
tatu wrote:The Coordinates glitch I have only experienced on my laptop that had ATI graphic card.
It's probably that...