Chains!!!

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Chains!!!

Post by Shep »

Okay, so if you read the title then you know the question. Can we make chains that move in the game? Possibly big ones to make it easier for no clipping through each other.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Chains!!!

Post by TheIdiot »

Hmm. This does sound quite possible. The only thing is that they might glitch out because the separate links would be constantly trying to move away from each other while touching, like with crates. But I think it's worth a try.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Forgot about that part. Mostly worried about them just going through each other. Perhaps them being very large will give us less errors?
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

In an interview, when asked about chains, they said "no".

Of course, if you want to make each link a different object with its 4 physics $subobjects... hmmm...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Last edited by Draconisaurus on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, I see, it's that magic trick where you take apart three rings that are linked together and then you die!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Cool... now what about curtains. :P

Edit: tried this on my level, it being bigger make it so much better.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is something I've been thinking of for a while too. Well, more along the lines of fabrics that can conform and bend. Might be doable with a bit of magnet work.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Curtains would be best handled by animation. It'd actually be quite easy to mimic a breeze pushing them inwards (adding a light wind wav to finalize the effect).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Curtains x_x Sounds like magnet-hell lol. Ragdolls and the like don't work in Trespasser. Sequential model replacement sounds quite doable tho.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:Curtains would be best handled by animation. It'd actually be quite easy to mimic a breeze pushing them inwards (adding a light wind wav to finalize the effect).
That could definitely be done. I recently made a flag wave in the wind so it definitely can look good. What I was thinking was more along the lines of a fabric sheet that you walk into and it can sort of "bend" like you're pushing it out of the way. Soft physics or whatever it's called. :)
Draconisaurus wrote:Curtains x_x Sounds like magnet-hell lol.
Yeah, true, and from what I gather, you can't have one object mastered to another object which is also mastered to another object. If it did work, I feel like you'd end up with that perpetual spinning glitch.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
This is something I've been thinking of for a while too. Well, more along the lines of fabrics that can conform and bend. Might be doable with a bit of magnet work.
Good luck. Rotational magnets are fixed in space in Trespasser, they can't move with other objects. Chains may work because they are made of individual links, but fabric or ropes, that's something they said they left out of the engine.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

We can always make small little chains that are so small that it is like an atom and have them all liked to each other. Lets just make everything out of small dots.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shep wrote:We can always make small little chains that are so small that it is like an atom and have them all liked to each other. Lets just make everything out of small dots.
Not exactly sure what you have in mind here but... The only linking you could do with multiple chains would be simple non-rotating+non-transiting magnets. So for example if they were lined up straight, they would continue to be straight and (I believe) move around successfully as a single object. Fun thing which I think could be done with this is give the magnets BreakStrength so that they could come apart under sufficient pressure.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
Good luck. Rotational magnets are fixed in space in Trespasser, they can't move with other objects. Chains may work because they are made of individual links, but fabric or ropes, that's something they said they left out of the engine.
Ah, well that about settles it then. So much for moving cars with working doors, too! :sick:
Draconisaurus wrote:
Shep wrote:We can always make small little chains that are so small that it is like an atom and have them all liked to each other. Lets just make everything out of small dots.
Not exactly sure what you have in mind here but... The only linking you could do with multiple chains would be simple non-rotating+non-transiting magnets. So for example if they were lined up straight, they would continue to be straight and (I believe) move around successfully as a single object. Fun thing which I think could be done with this is give the magnets BreakStrength so that they could come apart under sufficient pressure.
Not sure I follow either comment here. Are you suggesting that we use tiny little "chains" that are invisible to hold multiple objects together like a hinge?