Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Time of Day...

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo... As we all know, Time of Day stuff in Tres has gotten a huge boost in practicability from Tres CE. Just now I was doing some ASA work and wondered if the DLight could be animated... Turns out, it can!! :o So we can in fact can have the angle of the sun change in real time during gameplay... Who knew?

EDIT: Durr... I also want to report that the physical object I am busy animating... Remained physical, both in bones mode and in contact with Anne, while moving in its ASA animation. Soooo... Time to think about ASA animating stuff that the player can be in! :mrgreen:

EDIT2: Mmmmm okay so... The above instance was when I walked from behind into the animated object, which was moving in the same direction as me but slower. When I went and stood in front of it, it passed right through me... Apparently the physical-or-not dimension of animated models in Tres is somewhat complex. :? At any rate I finally believe TI now when he says he fell through an ASA-animated physical model :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Time of Day...

Post by TheIdiot »

Soooo... As we all know, Time of Day stuff in Tres has gotten a huge boost in practicability from Tres CE. Just now I was doing some ASA work and wondered if the DLight could be animated... Turns out, it can!! :o So we can in fact can have the angle of the sun change in real time during gameplay... Who knew?
Yep! Have tested an animated DLight myself to quite an effect...now to implement it in RTJP. The only thing is that in order to have the sky color change, you would require a smooth fog color transition which would cause the game to stutter horribly. At any rate, I can explain to anyone how to do a Time Of Day change in a level. You could theoretically even have a full day-night cycle with perhaps 8 or so different sky colors for each time, provided they don't change too quickly. The only thing is that the clouds and any other "sky objects" will always remain the same, so you can't have the sun actually move through the sky. Unless of course you animate a CBackdrop and have it animate through the sky... :mrgreen:
EDIT2: Mmmmm okay so... The above instance was when I walked from behind into the animated object, which was moving in the same direction as me but slower. When I went and stood in front of it, it passed right through me... Apparently the physical-or-not dimension of animated models in Tres is somewhat complex. :? At any rate I finally believe TI now when he says he fell through an ASA-animated physical model :P
Hmm. Perhaps the physics "lag" behind the object that is moving, then?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

If only we could animate the Sun graphic... What if we made it a cloud layer which moves across the sky? x_X
TheIdiot wrote:
Hmm. Perhaps the physics "lag" behind the object that is moving, then?
Mmmm the physics were where the object was, not displaced from it...

*moves other physical animation discussion to this thread*
TheIdiot wrote:
I---- DURR! I just remembered that you can walk on the SS Anne B in EastDock after it has started moving... TI, better go look at that :|
Wilco!
*checks*
It seems the physics for the Anne B that you can stand on aren't attached to the Anne B mesh itself. They're attached to the CEntityAttached mesh that connects to the animated Anne B. So...my god! THAT'S IT! If you attach a CEntityAttached to a CInstance that is ASA animated, in theory (am excited :| ) that means that the CInstance will lose its physics while being animated, but the CEntityAttached that is NOT animated will stay connected to the CInstance and will also retain its physics as it is just moving normally in the game world!!! 8) So to make a raft, you ASA animate, say, an invisible box, attach the raft model with physics as a CEntityAttached, hop in, start the animation and PRESTO! THIS COULD BE IT! MOVING VEHICLES! HAHA! TO THE TESTING LEVEL!
'Nyways... one of these days I'm sure there will be a boat-riding segment in a level somewhere...
*furiously rubs hands together* MAYBE! :mrgreen:
IIIII really do not think the status of those physics as being on CEntityAttached is what made them walkable while being animated... My theory is that it has to do with Trespasser calculating whether it can handle the physical interaction when it occurs... Something about.. if an animated object is running into Anne, for example, it seems a lot more like a possible physics error scenario.. You know, the animated object constantly pushing an obj, major friction calculation, etc.. Whereas if you come up from behind, it's just you bumping into an obj which is not trying to occupy the same space as you.
Mmmm the SS Anne B example.. You are walking ON and INTO its physics if you are trying to keep up with it. Hmmm *goes to test*
Okay so I was just on the SS Anne B... Physics which would push you in a certain direction upon contact work briefly before the player is pushed inside said physics (sort of like a happens-much-easier version of the normal things-get-pushed-into-other-things'-physics glitch). Mmmm I will say that at least in the case of the SS Anne B, said physics do push you for a moment. In the case of the object I tested yesterday, it simply passes right through. Further testing is needed to get details here but from where I'm standing, it doesn't seem like animated physics can push the player for more than a few seconds before she passes through them. :cry:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

If only we could animate the Sun graphic... What if we made it a cloud layer which moves across the sky? x_X
Hmm. That could work. It would have to take up the entire sky without tiling however, which I'm unsure of at the moment.
IIIII really do not think the status of those physics as being on CEntityAttached is what made them walkable while being animated... My theory is that it has to do with Trespasser calculating whether it can handle the physical interaction when it occurs... Something about.. if an animated object is running into Anne, for example, it seems a lot more like a possible physics error scenario.. You know, the animated object constantly pushing an obj, major friction calculation, etc.. Whereas if you come up from behind, it's just you bumping into an obj which is not trying to occupy the same space as you.
Mmmm the SS Anne B example.. You are walking ON and INTO its physics if you are trying to keep up with it. Hmmm *goes to test*
Okay so I was just on the SS Anne B... Physics which would push you in a certain direction upon contact work briefly before the player is pushed inside said physics (sort of like a happens-much-easier version of the normal things-get-pushed-into-other-things'-physics glitch). Mmmm I will say that at least in the case of the SS Anne B, said physics do push you for a moment. In the case of the object I tested yesterday, it simply passes right through. Further testing is needed to get details here but from where I'm standing, it doesn't seem like animated physics can push the player for more than a few seconds before she passes through them. :cry:
Hmm. That does make a lot of sense to me actually. Like the game can't handle so many calculations so quickly. What if we dropped a big object on top of Anne for a test then? That would be a similar situation where an object is trying to take up Anne's space which she can't get out of. If your idea is correct, then the big object should crush her properly for a few seconds before just passing through her.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:What if we dropped a big object on top of Anne for a test then? That would be a similar situation where an object is trying to take up Anne's space which she can't get out of. If your idea is correct, then the big object should crush her properly for a few seconds before just passing through her.
Mmmm 2 things. 1, I haven't tested top-down physics collisions in the ASA scenario yet. 2, as stated, sometimes the incoming object will pass riht through her without interacting at all. So idk what would happen, there.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:What if we dropped a big object on top of Anne for a test then? That would be a similar situation where an object is trying to take up Anne's space which she can't get out of. If your idea is correct, then the big object should crush her properly for a few seconds before just passing through her.
Mmmm 2 things. 1, I haven't tested top-down physics collisions in the ASA scenario yet. 2, as stated, sometimes the incoming object will pass riht through her without interacting at all. So idk what would happen, there.
HMM INDEED! The mystery thickens. As for the top-down collisions, I say test both a regular top-down collision as well as an ASA one. I've noticed that sometimes Anne can clip her head through objects as well and wonder if there is any relation to this.