Creating a boomstick!

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Creating a boomstick!

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Since I don't really know how to model, and I don't have any adequate software, I'm asking for some help on creating a sawed-off shotgun from an existing gun. What I want to have is a sawed-off shotgun like the one you see in Mad Max. :P

Here's a snapshot of the existing DB shotgun from Tres

And here's a picture ofwhat could be made. I edited this in Paint.NET

So if anyone's a good modeler who's up for the challenge, reply here or PM me!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Creating a boomstick!

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, it's not really that simple. :( When you export a TPM from Trespasser into Max, the lighting on the various faces gets messed up and ends up looking bad when you re-import it to Tres. So that means we'd have to create a brand-new model rather than edit the existing DB shotgun, I'm afraid.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, you are incorrect... After getting past scale issues in welding (not too difficult), it is more than practicable.

In fact...

*takes a few mins*

Ta-daaa!
https://app.box.com/s/pobjrsji2ky6tq70zqfw67pfjvf5ebnj

...As a note, I've discovered in the process that the DB shotgun in JPDS levels (including JPDS~testing), and anywhere I've taken them from those levels, have had displaced submodels this whole time... In fact I don't think any level has them correct for some reason. They're all shifted back. 'Nyways this model is corrected in that dimension. 8-)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Thanks Draco! I owe you one for this. :wink:

Tested it on in Tres and it works well, and looks really cool!
Spoiler: show

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad to be of service. :batman: Btw where'd that nice rex skin come from?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TI, you are incorrect... After getting past scale issues in welding (not too difficult), it is more than practicable.
I'll have to go over it one day and work this out myself then. I barely have a clue what I'm doing in Max half the time so it isn't really up my alley. :sick:

Of note, when I edited some of the JPOG models for RTJP (the allosaurus, tyrannosaurus and stegosaurus), the shading didn't get messed up whatsoever. Is there a reason for this? I imported them the exact same way I would import a regular mesh.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It's very unclear... The general rule is that models from retail/beta are fine while those made by modders are not. Can't remember which result mystery models have. Mmmm it could have to do with smoothing groups. To keep things simple and known, I give all faces of new models the same smoothing group; separate mesh elements do not "smooth together" so it looks the same as if each element were given its own smoothing group. Perhaps if each element were given its own smoothing group, the error would not be present... (Ideally the maxscript would automatically use smoothing groups to create separate elements but this is not what happens.)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Draconisaurus wrote:Glad to be of service. :batman: Btw where'd that nice rex skin come from?
That skin? Oh, it's just a reskinned version of the JPDS Death Rex. I just changed the hue of the Bitmap.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Aha nice...

Any level plans for ye boomstick?