Create large terrain map

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Create large terrain map

Post by Shep »

Hello, how do you make a larger map size in trespasser like the 4096 x 4096 map?
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Create large terrain map

Post by machf »

Start with a heightmap of the size you want, import it with TresEd, then make further changes to the terrain. Export it as .tpm, import it into 3DS MAX, export it as a .trr file, use GUIapp to convert it into a new .wtd file, go back to TresEd, reload the level and keep working.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

For more detail on the Max/GUIApp steps: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=10879
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Well, after I do this I'll be sure to keep a copy of that blank map. Why not just make a program
to make a bigger map?

Edit: or a default download on the main site.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

You could just use a retail terrain (2048x2048) or the JPDS terrain (4096x4096) and flatten it out. You wouldn't be able to fill a 4096x4096 terrain anyway since you would probably have more than 65000 objects.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Ok well I have gmax and you can not export to .trr and I tried the jpds wtd and it only filled the
small area I already had. So what i'll do is make a .tpm of it. Also how do you texture the terrain. I couldn't find an answer on the forums. (yes I understand that I have no idea what i'm doing).
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shep wrote:Ok well I have gmax and you can not export to .trr
Someone knows how to "make" gmax run maxscripts but I'm not that someone..
and I tried the jpds wtd and it only filled the small area I already had.
Dur. JPDS (and RTJP) hold the record for largest terrain files at 4096... And uh... Well let's just say JPDS only takes up about 1/3rd of that area and it took 6.5 years to finish :P AND it had to be split into multiple levels. Dunno what to say about RTJP's use of this terrain size but if 4096 is NOT AT SMALL AREA. You are correct - you have no idea what you're doing. :)
So what i'll do is make a .tpm of it.
I don't quite follow..
Also how do you texture the terrain. I couldn't find an answer on the forums. (yes I understand that I have no idea what i'm doing).
In TresEd, open any level (can pick a retail one if you want to be sure) and click the button that looks like a landscape. This hides the "physical" terrain and displays the "terrain objects" that are used to decorate said physical terrain like a collage. There are generally/basically giant ones for the basic terrain texture(s) and small ones for everything else.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

on the tpm I was going to import it as terrain but again... I have no idea what i'm doing. :lol:

Also when I said it only filled a small area in jpds It was because the textures were only on the small area I already had which my problem was the textures.

oh and I have clicked on that terrain thing before but it was on my fresh level so it didn't have anything.

Edit: YAY!!! I understand the textures now. That was what was getting me thrown off a little!
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

tatu

Post by tatu »

I really do not recommend doing anything with a huge terrain before you learn the basic of editing. There is no reason to start of with that huge level cause I'm 100% sure you will never finish it. JPDS took 6.5 years as Draco said. It was worked on almost everyday several hours a day, and in the end, it wasn't fully finished when it was released. JPDS also had several members working the first years.

You should really start small. First do a like a TestScene level size with various things, maybe a small detailed level. Learn basic scripts etc. Then move on to bigger etc.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I have been learning a little about level creating and wanted a huge map so I could just have enough room for if I was creating a larger project than I plan or I want the size a little bigger than the default. It is better to have just a big level and build on that instead of worrying about size, but not saying I plan on fitting it all on the map.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Take it from the elders - you are starting out too big :P I understand your initial plan is not to fill the thing. At any rate YOU WON'T so I wouldn't spend time trying to get it in the meantime.

*Retail terrain editing works best and the lot of them are available in "\Trespasser Twilight\Shell Generator\Import_Terrain". There's even a flattened-out one. ;)

*Starting out small is very important. My first Tres work was in modifying the demo level in various ways, learning how stuff worked from an already-working level. I recommend something like this. :)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I have been and will be just tinkering with the levels for a while and not create one unless I think of a really good idea. But yes I should spend a little more time looking at the levels and looking at all the code that makes it work.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I would say it's not too difficult for a beginner to create/release a small level. :) It also gets you to ask us questions, which potentially fills in your knowledge in ways simply tinkering would not have.
tatu

Post by tatu »

You should still be fine with a retail size level. You will never be able to fill a bigger one as mentioned before. Remember that even the original levels use about 1/3 or half a retail sized terrain.