Poll - Contest Theme?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

What should the next level contest theme be?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:59 am

Summer
No votes
Horror
13%
Humor
No votes
Mystery
13%
Survival
No votes
Puzzle
13%
Pine
No votes
Jungle
13%
Plains
No votes
Water
13%
Civilization
13%
Wilderness
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes: 8

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Poll - Contest Theme?

Post by Draconisaurus »

So, I like holding level-making contests, but I don't do it very much out of a general judgment that people simply wouldn't participate if I did. It's still good to have them though. We haven't done one in a while, so, why not now?

Sooo, in order to try and maximize turn-out, instead of choosing the theme this time, I thought I'd start a poll for the theme of the contest. What does everyone want to see? Choose other and let us know if you have an idea that's not listed. (3 selections allowed)

PS: What should the start/end dates be, I wonder? Is it too late to have one which must be finished by the Summer Solstice (June 20th)?

PPS: Should this contest include a starting template? Should it be required or optional?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Poll - Contest Theme?

Post by TheIdiot »

So, I like holding level-making contests, but I don't do it very much out of a general judgment that people simply wouldn't participate if I did. It's still good to have them though. We haven't done one in a while, so, why not now?
Sweet! Now we're talking! I might be in...will have to see if I have any time on my hands.
Sooo, in order to try and maximize turn-out, instead of choosing the theme this time, I thought I'd start a poll for the theme of the contest. What does everyone want to see? Choose other and let us know if you have an idea that's not listed. (3 selections allowed)
Great idea. Would love to see Horror, Water or, as my own suggestion, Desert themes. Though Horror would be best saved for a Fall contest in my opinion.
PS: What should the start/end dates be, I wonder? Is it too late to have one which must be finished by the Summer Solstice (June 20th)?
Well, maybe give it a while. I suggest to have it start June 11th (JP's anniversary) and have final submissions on June 29th, with the winners declared on the 30th. Gives everyone about 2 and a half weeks before we close out the month with the victor.
PPS: Should this contest include a starting template? Should it be required or optional?
I believe it should have a template required because, as I said, some people might have less experience with the whole importing/modelling process and I don't think it would be fair to have the more experienced members making all of these custom assets and such. We should be restricted to using only assets in the level, which makes it a fair challenge for everyone. Building blocks are the way to go here I believe. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Great idea. Would love to see Horror, Water or, as my own suggestion, Desert themes. Though Horror would be best saved for a Fall contest in my opinion.
Hmmmmm...
Well, maybe give it a while. I suggest to have it start June 11th (JP's anniversary) and have final submissions on June 29th, with the winners declared on the 30th. Gives everyone about 2 and a half weeks before we close out the month with the victor.
Dur! Definitely want to allow more than 2.5 weeks. That seems insane. This is going partly from past experience - people need time to finish their levels and there are always late-entries. *thinks about it* Solstice just might be too soon, for this reason.. I am thinking this contest should start at least a month ahead of its finish date. Too bad, JP anniv. would be nice timing..
I believe it should have a template required because, as I said, some people might have less experience with the whole importing/modelling process and I don't think it would be fair to have the more experienced members making all of these custom assets and such. We should be restricted to using only assets in the level, which makes it a fair challenge for everyone. Building blocks are the way to go here I believe. :wink:
No way. I feel if we say "no custom assets", all kinds of members will simply not participate. Requiring the template seems okay but I am def. not saying "no importing" again. The WOT contest did that and suffered as a result. People need that kind of freedom. Plenty of amazing mods are possible with existing assets and modifications thereof.

*hit with idea*
What if the level has to be a custom modification of an existing retail level... Hmmm. (Rather than modders modding an actual retail level it would be a matter of setting up an appropriate template).
Haha, now that would be fun. Set up an in-progress PH level, full of things like basic assets, preliminary terrain editing, some trnobj work, ocean, house model... then have the contest to be turn it into a completed level. Since PH reference is scarce, this could be a way to get multiple visions of possibility into the mix instead of just one person's idea.
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

I may make my first level for this contest, I am familiar with making levels in video games and understand how things work in tresed I would start now but do we have a definite on the theme? I want to make a horror themed one or idk
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well as it happens I have already chosen the theme... I am not yet ready to announce it. There will be a template level from which to start.
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

Please do tell when you plan on releasing the template level and theme details.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sssssssoon. Working on a mini-mod ATM, have a small side-project to finish, then PH will happen. Am thinking the Summer Solstice is a good bet for release.

EDIT: Derp, TODAY is the Solstice... Well then, we'll see what I can do 8-)