Mini-Mod Mondays

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Mini-Mod Mondays

Post by Shep »

I have an early version if it. One made before that video was made. 8)
Ooooo, do upload.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

A maze, huh... I'm sure something could be done, there. :batman:
JPAC training sounds cool, too.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

JPAC training sounds cool, too.
Or as it is now known as according to Jurassic world, Jpacu
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmmm I think I prefer JPAC for Jurassic Park and ACU for Jurassic World. 8)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Was JPAC ever in the movies? pretty sure it was only for the Jurassic Park ride areas, at the Triceratops encounter (which I mention alot) has it written all over everything from containers to cages.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The only place I've seen JPAC is at IOA.. only remember it on the ride. At any rate it's "official" to me for JP. 8) Was going to have a "JPAC Central Office" at the EA in JPDS.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Well, I would say it is also official because Jurassic world loved that idea enough to make a new name for them.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo believe it or not, I was inspired this morning to start a totally new level and it turned into this week's mini-mod! 'Tis called -

Proto Park

https://app.box.com/s/5lj2s3rfacydyc1tagmh40h0np05tb6s
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Very nice, this is one of the only modded levels that will work with my compiled source code.
Really liked the music, did you compose it? Anyway, I give the level a 1/10 because the gates don't have physics.

I'm sorry
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Well, Draco, I played through your new level and I quite liked it. Here are my thoughts.
Spoiler: show
When I first played the level, I found myself in a large jungle valley that looked fairly JPDS-esque. In front of me I saw the huge figure of the Jurassic Park gate, and behind me I saw more jungle. Being the explorer I am, I first wanted to check out what was behind me when I got blocked by a Baker. Here's my first opinion. I feel that a Baker placement is pretty lazy for obstructing the player's progression. I mean, something like a locked Pine Valley gate or maybe a rock slide would feel more realistic, but an invisible barrier just breaks immersion. Anyway, I trotted on to the gate, stopping to notice one of those motion sensor things from JP1. I really liked the spinning InGen logo animation. Really added a nice touch to the level. Anyway, I finally entered the park as you will, and found myself in a linear path that was nestled in between two giant paddock fences. On my way down the road, I saw a dinosaur that resembled a Giganotosaurus and a JP1 Tyrannosaur as well. After following the path, I came across the blue utility shed from JPDS Streams: the one that was based off the sheds from the JP:SNES game. Suddenly, I saw a Suchomimus barreling right towards me! I then dashed into the shed, found a crap-load of SPAS-12's and started blasting the Suchomimus, all the while hearing the blaring sound of a security alarm. That felt like a nice touch. After killing the Sucho I thought that the alarm would stop, since the crisis was over, but it kept on blaring. So, armed with one SPAS, I headed further down the road towards another giant gate. Going through the gate, the level ended, which felt pretty abrupt but satisfying nonetheless.

In conclusion this was a fun, little mod. It was miles better than the last mod you released, Bear Path. I just wished it could've been longer. But that's fine considering this was made in such a short amount of time. Perhaps I could expand on the level with your permission? Overall, it was a neat level that I enjoyed.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Forgot to mention how awesome those tracking systems were. The beeping? ohhh man was that cool.
I change my score to a 2/10 :P (still no working gates)

anyways, I think the dinosaur by the shed came to early for me because I used the exe I made that has max dinos 100 so I couldn't see the shed without the thing already 10 feet infront.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks for the reviews! :)

The siren is an ambient trigger... It can be turned off but the player would need to be teleported out of and back into the map...

Mmmm the gates not having physics :| The gate is from an old mod called "jpgate"... Its submodels do not have "$" in their name... I suppose this is the reason the clone of the gate (the structure and not the doors) is physics-less... 'Tis confusing since the bus stop shelter in Tres doesn't use "$" either and its clones retain physics (I find it doubtful that it's use of "F" in front of the name is what causes it to work >.> ).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

What the frak is this?! A new mini-mod? And someone reviewed it before me? Why I oughta... :P
Nah, I'll give it a playthrough and tell you what I think of it. The screenshot looks neat.

EDIT: Well, played it through, and I can safely say that I agree it is much better than Bear Trail. Forgot how nice the JPDS environments looked, too...anyway, the review:
Spoiler: show
The level kicked off with me dropped onto a beautiful jungle road, straight out of JPDS. As far as I'm concerned, the JPDS assets will always look nice on their own, though I would definitely have liked to see a new jungle environment (it still looked great so no points off :) ).
I began my stroll down the road and soon came to the looming structure of the very familiar Jurassic Park gate linked up to some of those high-security fences from JPDS. While I do really love seeing new models, I kind of feel that the JP gate you used here is sort of inferior to hppav's version - out of date, if you will - and would have preferred to see the use of the newer model. Was definitely a refreshing change for me though after seeing it many times a day. :wink:
I decided to explore the surrounding area before moving through the archway, but found nothing a value. I did however come across a motion-sensor, complete with a (new?) spinning animated InGen logo, which I found really fantastic. Makes me want to see something similar on the Cray computers when they boot up in retail. :D With that done, I stepped through the gates and entered the "park". Proceeding along the long stretch of road between the two colossal fences, I passed by the Carnivores: Cityscape giganotosaurus (who desperately needs a better quality skin! - not your fault there though) and the good ol' female Rex. I was reminded here of RTJP quite a bit, but it feels and looks overall different enough to make it its own unique work. I also feel that this long area of road could have been made a bit more interesting...perhaps a stopped vehicle and some clutter could have spiced it up a bit.
Eventually the road opened into a small area where I heard an alarm blaring. Here the feeling shifted and I was somehow reminded of the Jurassic Park River Adventure attraction as I jogged over to a nearby utility shed. Within, I found a table completely covered in cold, hard metal - otherwise known as the SPAS-12 shotgun times 10. 8) With little else to find in the shed, I stepped outside carrying two shotguns (and threw one outside just for good measure) and was immediately beset upon by a lone suchomimus. Suffice to say, the suchomimus was quickly made extinct once more due to my superior firepower and I proceeded onward away from the blaring alarm. I agree again that the alarm should have been made to shut off somehow once the sucho died, but that would probably require a bit more scripting than is reasonable for a mini-mod, so it will pass.
A short ways down the road from the shed, I stumbled across a second gate facing the opposite direction; the exit to this small "park". The moment I opened those great gates and stepped outside, the level came to a somewhat early end. :?
So! How did I feel about the level? Well, I actually quite enjoyed some parts of it, while I disliked other parts. The whole look of the level was quite nice, reminding me quite a bit of a JPDS-RTJP hybrid with some new stuff mixed in. There were a couple of interesting settings and sights, but the level did fall a bit short in terms of gameplay and length.

Map Design: 5/10 - There were definitely some neat places to explore and sights to see, and I did find the linearity to be somewhat acceptable due to the setting. However, I do wish that exploration in this level was a bit more rewarding and that the level were a bit longer.
Gameplay: 3/10 - There isn't a whole lot in terms of engagement for the player, with most of the level being dedicated to following a linear trail. The lack of enemy encounters, puzzles or exploration does make this level somewhat disappointing once you've gone all the way through.
Story: 3.5/10 - The idea of a Jurassic Park somewhere in the jungle (as well as the title "ProtoPark") led me to come up with the idea that this were sort of a testbed Jurassic Park on my own, which is commendable. I do wish that perhaps there were a bit more to be found perhaps hinting at what exactly this place was used for and what happened that caused the event by the shed to occur.
Creativity: 5.5/10 - I actually found this level quite creative. The alarms, motion sensors, gates and fences all felt compatible despite being from different levels, and the use of the HSP fences instead of the regular perimeter fences was refreshing to me. I do wish though that there were a couple more new assets, or perhaps older assets used in more interesting ways. A lack of clutter objects also felt somewhat apparent in some of the more empty areas.

OVERALL: 4/10
"Dinosaur park! What a great idea..." :P
Mmmm the gates not having physics :| The gate is from an old mod called "jpgate"... Its submodels do not have "$" in their name... I suppose this is the reason the clone of the gate (the structure and not the doors) is physics-less... 'Tis confusing since the bus stop shelter in Tres doesn't use "$" either and its clones retain physics (I find it doubtful that it's use of "F" in front of the name is what causes it to work >.> ).
Hmm. I seem to remember this happening when you export $ objects from Max that the engine does not see as boxes, even if they are shaped properly. Might have something to do with the $ objects not having their pivot centered?
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

To be honset about this level (without the fact THE GATES DO NOT MOVE) I would give this a 6/10 because It was a type of place I don't see very often and I got to shoot up spas 12's )idk) all opver the plce and after that I see a dinosaur dead with the guns scattered all over the ground.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*pulls all-nighter* Weeelllll this week's mini-mod is here! It took.. about 2.5 days to make. 0.5 days longer than the official allotment, but I'm going to count it as a special case.. 'Tis called:

Mountain Path

https://app.box.com/s/5uyjohiwmk9hubxyqnlkose9jymf5ukn
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)