Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road

Post by TheIdiot »

Second Illiteration wrote:As far as your time of day progression goes, why can't you just put the time of day that you think will set the mood the best. I think realisitically, if Trespasser were a true situation, you would take time to rest and you would wait and things like that. I would say don't worry too much about having the timing perfect
The reason I want to keep things kind of logical is that I think it would be confusing to players when the time suddenly jumps forward without explaination. It simply wouldn't make sense. I suppose I could make different versions of each level, one at the original time and one at my own decided time.
Draconisaurus wrote:Nice new palms! I get the feeling that Tres HD is a sort of pro-potentiation of the high-res capacities of Tres CE for the original game. The Destiny of Trespasser is Fulfilled! :pirate:
:D Thanks! That's pretty much the objective, to take Tres to its limits and make it look as good as it possibly can, while also coming up with some fun new stuff and trying to get things as close to the original walkthrough as possible.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Decided to take a break from RTJP to get back into this project:

Just a random cliffscape in near the Mayan Face in JR. Created some more detail props, including these ledges, which can be applied to cliffs to create steps or realistic-looking overhangs. I also tweaked the Reshade a bit to get rid of the excessive bloom, and will probable tweak it some more and reduce the radius of the screen-edge blur, as right now it can be somewhat distracting.

I've also begun the process of properly scripting all of the new models from MegaJungle. A lot of them had already been scripted in RTJP~Helipad, but there are still a LOT to do, especially concerning the oddly-shaped rocks. My goal is to get things looking highly-detailed up to a distance of about 75 meters, and from there on try to cull as many objects as possible without making it obvious. Of course, considering the very high polycount of many of these meshes, this might prove to be impossible as the CE engine does still have its limits. I might try my hand at making low-poly distant meshes of some models to see if that can help improve performance, as right now when I use the console to set the CullDist to 75 and look at the Mayan Face gorge, my FPS drops from 45ish to 25ish. :sick:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Still getting over how little that broad leaf bush plant looks like a 3D mesh.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Still getting over how little that broad leaf bush plant looks like a 3D mesh.
What do you mean by that? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Which bush specifically do you mean - I assume the one on the mid-right side of the image? I deliberately made those plants low-poly so that you can place a lot of them (and I mean a LOT of them) in a small area without destroying your FPS.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The bush in the middle right of the screen. Looks like you planted a plant inside the level rather than import a mesh.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been working on converting hppav's Isla Nublar Jeeps into the InGen Hunting Party's heavily reconfigured variants 8) :

Textures are heavily WIP, but the model is mostly finished, other than smoothing out some of the rough areas and fixing the broken shading groups. The mirrors have yet to be created as I can't find good reference for them, and there are some minor details missing, such the spare jerrycans which are present on the sides and rear, the floodlights, plus some random enhancements here and there like 3D door handles and tyres. I also plan on making the rear door work, since on the original model, hppav only made it a flat texture. I'm going to be making two versions for now: the one you see above, and the roofless version, which has a different rollcage layout and a few other minor differences. The third version seen in the movies with the slide-out passenger seat has a different front-end configuration (just look at the original Tres models), so for now I'm just going to get these ones done.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Impressive... Though, I can't look at this image without cringing at the build-up of polygons intended for the final level.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Impressive... Though, I can't look at this image without cringing at the build-up of polygons intended for the final level.
At this point, I've basically just decided to go all-out and see what I can get away with. If it turns out at any point that the level gets completely unplayable without sacrificing a lot of draw distance, I'll probably just stop there and release what's playable. :P There's also the potential for using detail meshes for many objects to hopefully improve performance, since if done correctly those will probably look quite good. They'll also work as mid-distance trees which you can't get to, but aren't far enough away to be billboards.

Anyway, a bit more work has been done on the Hunter Jeep. Most of the modelling is done now (aside from the mirrors and a tiny strap which holds the jerrycan to the car), time to get cracking on those textures (although the current ones work decently enough for a "clean" exterior). I've also made the trunk door actually open in two halves as it should. Once those are done, I'll go back and tweak this model to match the topless version. Main differences between this and the topless version are a different position for the spare jerrycan, less bars on the bumper, different floodlight positioning, and a completely different rollcage and doors. The polycount right now is only slightly higher than the original model by hppav. I may also make a version without working doors and all models combined into a single mesh so that it can be moved around without worrying about magnet issues/crashes.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Not that moveable objects are allowed to have magnet-bound slaves to start with...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Not that moveable objects are allowed to have magnet-bound slaves to start with...
Oh, they can have slave magnets sall right, but those magnets can't have XFree/YFree/ZFree values set (or XTFree/YTFree/ZTFree).
A workaround would be to use the proper ActionType to "freeze" the magnets while the object is moving, and "hinge" them again when the object is static...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The time has come at last for a release!

TRESPASSER HD - BEACH

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7ptd74k1 ... 1alpha.zip

Ultimately, I have decided that the first level of HD, Beach, is beginning to feel and look rather outdated, especially in comparison to the work I have done on Jungle Road, the next level. Therefore, I have decided to release the current, unfinished version of Beach, since it is now in need of a full-on revamp in order to match the style of later levels in Trespasser HD. That being said, there are still some issues with the level: a few models are missing physics or even missing entirely (the Unimog in particular is not there, and you can't walk on the monorail station), and there aren't many triggers or puzzles implemented, including level-end triggers, so you'll have to exit the level through the pause menu. The level also does not contain any enemies, although in my final plans I hadn't really intended to include any in this first level. Regardless, much of the level is 99% complete and playable - up until the final area with the monorail station - and there is plenty to see and do despite its incomplete state. I recommend you explore every nook and cranny of the level as there are quite a few little off-the-path locations which might be worth checking out!

Also included in the download are the current stockpile of HD textures and custom skies for CE. Feel free to use them in your own projects! I have not included any new TPA files or menues as they are currently still in-progress, but I should certainly have them finished by the time JR~HD rolls out. The ReShade which I have been using in the screenshots is also a work-in-progress, but I will release it as soon as I get it to look satisfactory.
I will also note here that this level was not made with performance in mind, and that on older computers it may well crash no matter what you do. There are some trespasser.ini settings included in the Readme which may help you run the level, but I can't say for certain if they will work for you. Of course, this level also requires the use of Trespasser Custom Edition - I highly doubt ATX or retail will be able to run it.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the level! Make sure to let me know what you think of the level, what your performance is like, and what could be improved on in future levels. Bug reports are somewhat unneccessary at this point since I won't be doing much more work on this level, but you're of course welcome to report them.

Ah yes, and have fun! :)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

:mrgreen: Oooh I'm so excited!! I'll be sure to write a review later on after I've played through it.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

..and it had to be while I was away. Like always.
I tell you, it's a world-wide plot against me!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

:mrgreen: Oooh I'm so excited!! I'll be sure to write a review later on after I've played through it.
Please do! I'm eager to hear your thoughts.
machf wrote:..and it had to be while I was away. Like always.
I tell you, it's a world-wide plot against me!
Damn, he's on to us! *turns to other moderators* RUN!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BEACH RELEASED!)

Post by machf »

Looks very good even without loading the hi-res textures (I didn't have time last night, just extracted the level files, I'll try a more complete version later today).