Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Beach Extreme Detail Remake

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Question - will you be using the b55 JR terrain for the sequel to this level? IMO it is the best version we have...
I believe the one from b32 (PCGamer) is the best terrain we have. It doesn't have those weird raised ground at the end of the level, down the hill at the monorail tracks.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road

Post by TheIdiot »

In a shadowed, rocky gorge, a stern Mayan face looks down on a crashed jeep...

Jungle Road HD is under way! Beach is still near completion, all it really needs are some bugfixes, physics boxes (ugh), and a couple of minor additions. Of course, the two levels now look rather inconsistent, but I hadn't really envisioned doing the rest of the levels when I started Beach, so the flora choices were more incidental. Perhaps one day in the future, once it's been released, Beach will get a renovation to match what I envision for the rest of the jungle levels (lots of MegaJungle scenery, along with some new ones and a couple of models from other levels).

Another little change I made to Beach and Jungle Road is the addition of the RTJP sky, since I felt the crappy bluish one I'd been using looked a bit off. The fog needs tweaking now to make it less overly blue. It will be altered to better match the levels, of course.

I'm still unsure of the time of day progression I want in this mod...while I do of course still want to do Town at night to create cool lighting effects and match the movie, that would force something similar to:

Beach - Midday / Clear
Jungle Road - Afternoon / Cloudy
Plantation House - Sunset / Overcast
Industrial Jungle - Early Night / Rain
InGen Town - Late Night / Overcast
Plains - Sunrise / Cloudy
Pine Valley - Morning / Clear
Laboratory - Midday / Clear
Mayan Village - Afternoon / Clear
Ascent - Sunset / Cloudy
Summit - Sunset / Cloudy

And, as both Draco and I have said, it only feels right to have Plains take place in the heat of midday. I could, of course, change things around, but my mind is so set on the timing of the other levels that I think PL during sunrise is going to be my final decision. It would look quite nice anyway with a pinkish mist rolling over the hills, the sun coming up from across the ocean which creates the eastern border of the level. That would also put the Dam valley into shadow, which could look quite cool. I really want to know what everyone thinks of this...of course, there's always the option to keep everything as it is in the original game, but that seems a bit stale to me since the time difference only becomes obvious once you reach Ascent 1/Mayan Village.

I've also renamed this thread with the current title of this project, Trespasser HD. 8)
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

TheIdiot wrote: Image

InGen Town - Late Night / Overcast
Very nice 8), the images remind me of what I had envisioned for my Far Cry 3 attempt.

https://youtu.be/cxqiCdyAiSE
I remember watching this video with uncontained excitement when it showed the town with a thunderstorm overhead, then I saw in the description that it wasn't a mod but edited clips. Would love to see the town in that setting :mrgreen: .
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Very nice 8), the images remind me of what I had envisioned for my Far Cry 3 attempt.
Did you ever get very far with that? FarCry was supposedly inspired by Trespasser as well, at least in the environmental sense.
https://youtu.be/cxqiCdyAiSE
I remember watching this video with uncontained excitement when it showed the town with a thunderstorm overhead, then I saw in the description that it wasn't a mod but edited clips. Would love to see the town in that setting :mrgreen: .
Ah, I just saw that video earlier today for the first time. I really liked the thunderstorm town as well...I could do something similar, I think, but I'd prefer to have night in the town clear of rain since I want it to look misty as in the movie. IJ on the other hand might get a thunderstorm, and perhaps you'll be able to hear it rumbling overhead in the later part of PH and the Town.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking spiffy! I honestly don't mind the environmental differences between the levels; a main point of this mod is the simple density of jungle. Making different varieties of jungle gives a broader experience to the mod.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Looking spiffy! I honestly don't mind the environmental differences between the levels; a main point of this mod is the simple density of jungle. Making different varieties of jungle gives a broader experience to the mod.
True, yes, but I would eventually like to have everything 100% consistent to create a better sense of realism. The difference will be in the landscape and environment rather than unrealistic changes in the entire ecosystem. :P
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

TheIdiot wrote:
Did you ever get very far with that? FarCry was supposedly inspired by Trespasser as well, at least in the environmental sense
Sadly no, I built all sorts of structures ranging from the hunter Jeep to Hammond's mansion, level wise I built as far as the Plantation house in the jungle road level before I left. The reason I stopped was a mix of how some of the buildings looked and how much memory was used ( I put a lot of detail into these structures and they visually look horrible). However I did finish the Far Cry 2 version, not because I said it was done but because the game says "your done", the budget and memory are maxed out 8).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

MinePass wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
Did you ever get very far with that? FarCry was supposedly inspired by Trespasser as well, at least in the environmental sense
Sadly no, I built all sorts of structures ranging from the hunter Jeep to Hammond's mansion, level wise I built as far as the Plantation house in the jungle road level before I left. The reason I stopped was a mix of how some of the buildings looked and how much memory was used ( I put a lot of detail into these structures and they visually look horrible). However I did finish the Far Cry 2 version, not because I said it was done but because the game says "your done", the budget and memory are maxed out 8).
Sounds cool, but of course older games (and even a lot of newer ones) do have limits that you're eventually going to run into if you try to expand further than the scope of the base game. You wouldn't have trouble creating all of Isla Sorna in, say, Fallout, since it was made to handle gigantic maps like that, but of course it would take a ton of work to get Fallout looking like Tres, as opposed to FarCry which already has a lot of useful props.

Perhaps you can share some screenshots of your unfinished work, if you don't plan on ever completing it? Maybe I can take some inspiration and apply it to this mod. :wink:
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

TheIdiot wrote: Perhaps you can share some screenshots of your unfinished work, if you don't plan on ever completing it? Maybe I can take some inspiration and apply it to this mod. :wink:
Its on the to do list, probably will start that topic once I finish the E&A research topic or when I don't have anything else to post.
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

I watch this with the same excitement as I did with S13nt's posts, giddy.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Blapeuh wrote:I watch this with the same excitement as I did with S13nt's posts, giddy.
I still check his site frequently as I'm always hoping to see more of his work. He's a big inspiration for this project (a couple of visuals are heavily inspired by his work, including the beach and the Mayan Face). :wink:
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

TheIdiot wrote: ... He's a big inspiration for this project (a couple of visuals are heavily inspired by his work, including the beach and the Mayan Face). :wink:
That's nice and you are doing a great job (going by the pictures and descriptions you write).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

A small update, some new-ish palm trees:

They're not specifically new, however, since they're actually a remake of the VPlmHwii set of trees from retail. They're a bit higher poly and smoother, and I added a couple of tiny details and completely re-did the textures in HD with bumpmaps. This was taken in TresEd so the textures are low-res, and the lighting is a bit different since this is RTJP~Helipad and not Beach HD. Originally, they were made just for RTJP to replace the unfitting old version, but I was so pleased with the results that they'll also be included in MegaJungle and HD, where they act as simple generic palms alongside the real coconut palms and alexandra palms.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

As far as your time of day progression goes, why can't you just put the time of day that you think will set the mood the best. I think realisitically, if Trespasser were a true situation, you would take time to rest and you would wait and things like that. I would say don't worry too much about having the timing perfect
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice new palms! I get the feeling that Tres HD is a sort of pro-potentiation of the high-res capacities of Tres CE for the original game. The Destiny of Trespasser is Fulfilled! :pirate: