Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BEACH RELEASED!)

Post by machf »

I just added this one to the Downloads section. But for some reason, i couldn't generate a thumbnail for it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:I just added this one to the Downloads section. But for some reason, i couldn't generate a thumbnail for it...
D'oh. One thing after another with the server. :( I checked the download you uploaded, and yeah, it just has that generic missing image icon as a thumbnail.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Well, we can still create thumbnails of our own for now, if really needed. At least we can upload files again ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Did a tiny bit more work on JR today. I wanted to test out what a more open space looks like with my assets, and it turned out fairly nicely! Any idea of what this location is? :wink: Hint: it wasn't in the final game (B116).

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The place with the Mayan head?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Spiffy, dude. If I had to guess I'd say the area just east of the telephone.
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:The place with the Mayan head?
The area with the Mayan head is in retail, the head isn't.

I am gonna say the side of the hill between where PH in retail is and the beach/hidden valley.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

All good guesses, but no to all. :P This is the "Make-out Rock" location found in the walkthrough, which can be found south-west of the monorail station. The screenshot was taken standing on the side of the slope so you can't really tell how steep the elevation is - I thought the overhanging log, which the walkthrough says would be pulled-down in order to climb up to the top - might give it away.

This location actually exists in some of the earlier versions of JR (with a giant rock on-top to mark the location) but was removed in the later versions of the level, but since I'm using a combination of the earlier versions of the level as the base terrain, it's still present. I increased its elevation and turned the surrounding area into a slightly taller ridge to appear more prominent and give a view over the jungle canopy. I'm working hard to keep a sightline from the monorail tracks to the hilltop and from the hilltop to the hidden waterfall (which is in its pre-B96 location) in order to give the hilltop a purpose in gameplay, considering how difficult it will be to navigate your way through such dense jungle. Because I'm using only MegaJungle foliage, including some new pieces not yet released, navigating your way through the undergrowth is extremely difficult if not following a trail of some kind. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh neat.
I feel that one of the things the JR level design failed at was that there is a straight-line road you can follow from start to finish, causing the extraneous areas to be mostly useless. In some unmade version of JR, geo barriers could be made to encourage more exploration.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh neat.
I feel that one of the things the JR level design failed at was that there is a straight-line road you can follow from start to finish, causing the extraneous areas to be mostly useless. In some unmade version of JR, geo barriers could be made to encourage more exploration.
That is the purpose of open world areas that the game was supposed to have more of. If you would've done something so the player had to move from the road, it would still be a straight-line (linear) gameplay.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Strictly speaking the old version of JR (earliest build) seems to have been set up to have 3 main routes with physics puzzles and then the whole open area leading to the hot spring.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh neat.
Well, you'll be happy to hear that this version of JR is using terrain almost entirely from the pre-B96 JR terrains, so the linearness of the final version is basically non-existant. I am going to adjust the terrain a fair bit in some places to ensure that you must explore and solve puzzles to progress, but there will be multiple routes to the end of the level. You can still follow the road, but it will be broken up in many places which will hopefully cause you to get lost trying to find where it picks up again.
Draconisaurus wrote:Strictly speaking the old version of JR (earliest build) seems to have been set up to have 3 main routes with physics puzzles and then the whole open area leading to the hot spring.
That's what I have in JR HD. Those three routes at the start all lead to the "triceratops valley" area, but you can also go into the open area and explore there as well. I'm going to make it a challenge to skip those three routes if you decide to take the open route by making the jungle there much thicker and without many trails. The foliage is dense enough to make a 20x20m square area a very difficult to navigate maze, which gives the make-out rock some strategic importance for spotting targets. Think of it as Trespasser Legacy x2.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tres Legacy x2?? Wow.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tres Legacy x2?? Wow.
8) Just as difficult to navigate but hopefully requiring less overall objects to accomplish. The big bushes especially save on object count when used in bunches.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So a little while back, I decided to start anew on Beach HD using entirely plants from MegaJungle, as well as some entirely new assets...

Image Image

Unfortunately, I had to take these screenshots in TresEd as the level itself simply will not load due to the amount of overlapping transparent objects, and I haven't been able to fix the error in the time I've had for modding, which has prevented me from moving further into the level. I know what the error is because deleting the grass meshes allows the level to load, but sadly I'm not really willing to remove them as they are a crucial detail to prevent things from looking flat. Although I do have one idea as to how I might be able to fix this bug (namely, placing and then combining all of the grass meshes in an area), I haven't had the time for it recently, so for now the best I can do for screenshots are these rather ugly TresEd ones. However, I just wanted to show the beginnings of what Beach HD Mk. II might become, as well as some of the new assets, like the cliffs and Cuban Palms, as well as the new way I've been layering TrnObjs, which is based on the way the PCGamer IJ level did it - a layer of dirt overlapped by increasing levels of "cover" objects.