Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Mobile vehicles

Post by TheIdiot »

Slugger wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Urgh... I trust you guys on this the-physics-teleport thing. That sucks :? What about animating moveable physics boxes specifically? Something to test...
You knew $-objects and solid instances? I'd imagine you'd get the same result. I think the physics is disabled during those ASA animations regardless of the origin of the object. But never hurts to try.
I tested it today, same result. Both $ objects and invisible instances lose their collision while animating in an ASA and return to normal afterward. The $ objects also appear to be very finnicky, especially if attached to other instances, in which case they crashed the game. The only other way I can think of that would give an ASA object physics would be to continuously teleport an invisible physics instance to the location of the animated object, but I'm unsure if that would even work because the instance doesn't even seem to technically exist in the game while animating, only before and after doing so. :?
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Why did you decide to animate the vehicle using ASA animations? I'm assuming because it has a complicated path you want it to follow?

edit: And yes, I think it's well known that the engine does not like any sort of manipulation of $ objects.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Why did you decide to animate the vehicle using ASA animations? I'm assuming because it has a complicated path you want it to follow?
Indeed. It's a helicopter that has to fly over mountains in multiple directions and at varying altitudes, turn around completely, and descend to the ground, all with the player inside (think of the intro to the movie). It seems the best way to do this will just to be to animate the player as well to be inside the chopper, which should work fine.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Why do you need the player to be inside? Why not just make the ASA animation also movig the camera together with the helicopter?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Why do you need the player to be inside? Why not just make the ASA animation also movig the camera together with the helicopter?
That's what I've done, except "player" is the target instead of "camera" so that you can look around and see your body while inside. The player is animated to be sitting in the front seat and the helicopter is animated around her. I've got it figured out already, was just curious if this could be done in a different way should we figure out how to keep physics in an ASA.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm damn..

As for the continuous-physics-teleport, I am thinking that would crash the game if it is too frequent. Might work in intervals that happen to work with the environment.
The only other way I can think of that would give an ASA object physics would be to continuously teleport an invisible physics instance to the location of the animated object, but I'm unsure if that would even work because the instance doesn't even seem to technically exist in the game while animating, only before and after doing so.
What you say doesn't make sense here - the physics aren't being animated, they are being teleported. The phys tied to an object via script certainly can't be teleported, I would think..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:What you say doesn't make sense here - the physics aren't being animated, they are being teleported. The phys tied to an object via script certainly can't be teleported, I would think..
What I meant is that the physics don't appear to be attached to the animating object, as if they disappear until the instance has stopped its animation. The instance itself seems to "disappear" physically along with its physics objects, and "reappear" where the ASA ends. Though you can see the animated instance moving, it doesn't retain any of its physical properties until it has stopped. Hope that clears it up a bit.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well I knew that, yesh...

*reads what you wrote again*

So a main point is that I am very sure you cannot teleport attached-phys of a model, no matter if it is moving or not. If the phys are not attached, they obviously don't disappear or reappear with the ASA. And as you found out, animated solo-phys only teleports.
There would be no ASA-related issue in teleporting physics, as they would be separate and not scripted to animate to begin with (unless someone tests and confirms that attached phys can be teleported, but regardless this is not what I am talking about).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So a main point is that I am very sure you cannot teleport attached-phys of a model, no matter if it is moving or not. If the phys are not attached, they obviously don't disappear or reappear with the ASA. And as you found out, animated solo-phys only teleports.
Correct.
There would be no ASA-related issue in teleporting physics, as they would be separate and not scripted to animate to begin with (unless someone tests and confirms that attached phys can be teleported, but regardless this is not what I am talking about).
Well, teleporting regular invisible instance-style physics objects works fine since they're just regular objects that are invisible, but when you try to teleport a $-type physics object that is attached to something, the game crashes. So long as an instance is animating, its physics become redundant.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*forgets what we were originally talking about*
*reads*
Ah, yes.
The only other way I can think of that would give an ASA object physics would be to continuously teleport an invisible physics instance to the location of the animated object, but I'm unsure if that would even work because the instance doesn't even seem to technically exist in the game while animating, only before and after doing so.
So my point is, your point of doubt about continuously teleporting phys is.. not a thing (since we're talking about separate phys). Sooo, phys teleport sequences to go with ASA animation is something we could test out..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

*forgets what we were originally talking about*
*reads*
Ah, yes.
:lol: Did that myself as well, but I didn't want to say lest I seem like I have no idea what I'm talking about...
So my point is, your point of doubt about continuously teleporting phys is.. not a thing (since we're talking about separate phys). Sooo, phys teleport sequences to go with ASA animation is something we could test out..
Okay, I get it now. So if, say, we were moving a car, we would animate the car in a standard ASA manner and then teleport the physics to the car as it moves?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Correct!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Correct!
Alright! Discussion back on track. Maybe I'll give this a go tomorrow, sounds like such a thing could be useful for moving ASA targets I've been thinking about recently... :wink: