Tresed help

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Tresed help

Post by Shep »

Hello, I would like to know how to save files on tresed, When I save the .grf can't save to disc. How am I suppose to save the game and how to play it when finished?
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Tresed help

Post by TheIdiot »

In order to save the files, you need to have performed a hard-drive install of Trepasser - that is, installing the game normally, then copying everything from the disk onto your computer in the folder that you installed the game to. If you also install either the ATX Patch or the Trespasser Custom Edition (installing either one of the two is a MUST), you can pretty much say goodbye to the CD as both of them allow the game to be run without a CD in the drive, so long as you can put it in once for verification. That way, you never have to worry about the hard-coded files or even using the CD at all in the future. :)
Good luck working on your levels!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Actually, a HDD install means copying the contents of the CD to a folder on your HDD, popping out the CD and running the installer from the copied folder (and leaving it permanently on your HDD).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Actually, a HDD install means copying the contents of the CD to a folder on your HDD, popping out the CD and running the installer from the copied folder (and leaving it permanently on your HDD).
Gosh dingus, machf is right again! :P I must have remembered wrong - thanks for clearing that up!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

To be fair, there a lot of different ways of installing Trespasser so you don`t need the CD in your CD drive, editing the registry after normal installation is another way, for example.

Bottom line, you can`t save your edited level because you`re loading them from the CD and CDs are usually read-only, so you need to copy the files onto your hard drive first.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Thanks everyone, I would have replied faster but I thought no one did since the message thing in the top left doesn't show anything. Another question is how do you use the ATX mod? I tried to use it and it said SMACKW32.DLL is missing. I did this before the drive install so should it work if I do it now?
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Silly me, there is a notify me when posted button in the options. :p
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!