Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: TheIdiot Releases Stuff

Post by TheIdiot »

Update!

Here's a tweak I made for the default CE HUD styled after the JPDS HUD. You can play it with any level if you want, although it was designed for JPDS to replace the non-functional HUD. It's not an exact replica of the original since I couldn't figure out how to extend the background, but it works well enough for now. Note that it doesn't show the reserve ammo, only the ammo you have in the gun in your hand. The HUD is also vaguely transparent to keep it from being distracting.

To run this, create a folder called "Scripts" in your main Tres directory (wherever your data folder is located), or in a CE mod sub-directory, and extract all of the files there. It will work from there on flawlessly. If you install it to the main directory, it will also work with any CE-loaded mods you use, but will be overridden by mod-specific HUDs.

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g9e9utxin ... for_CE.zip

Image Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mm nice release... I would definitely chance the black text to white, tho. You can barely see it!
Like the cloud action you have going on. :| Tho your desire to see further in the level via less fog makes it all seem a bit empty to me.. In JPDS~streams you're not supposed to plot your course by gazing into the distance, but rather finding and choosing landmark paths to follow such as roads, rivers, or powerlines.. In the reduced-fog the level seems much smaller.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Mm nice release... I would definitely chance the black text to white, tho. You can barely see it!
I wanted to keep it as close to the original design as possible. The text in JPDS was originally black, after all.
Like the cloud action you have going on. :| Tho your desire to see further in the level via less fog makes it all seem a bit empty to me.. In JPDS~streams you're not supposed to plot your course by gazing into the distance, but rather finding and choosing landmark paths to follow such as roads, rivers, or powerlines.. In the reduced-fog the level seems much smaller.
Derp, completely forgot about the fog changes I'd been working on, I hadn't meant to show them yet... :|
Really? I felt exactly opposite! :sick: When you can see across the entire level, it gives it a sense of scale, as if the island stretches off into the distance beyond all sight (the fog ends close enough that the non-detailed areas are hidden). The very close fog you had originally made things feel sort of constricted, as if you're fumbling around in the dark. I was careful to make sure you can't just gaze into the distance to plot a course as well, since the foliage and landscape blocks your view when you're on the ground in the jungle. It feels more natural when you come around a particularily clustered bunch of trees and suddenly you stumble across the airfield. You actually designed the level in such a way that the foliage acts as an excellent natural sightline barrier - only from the starting hilltop can you actually look out across the island, but even so the terrain blocks your view of anything important. You can only barely make out the mountain in Plains in the extreme distance.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Not to mention that close fog is a cheap trick used by games to keep the FPS high by blocking the view of objects that aren't really close to the player... your approach sounds nicer.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, JPDS was set up for mysterious low visibility, in keeping with darkness and secrets. Ya'll can open it up and see where things lead if you want.
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Location: Over here hacking . . . I mean protecting your computer! :)

Post by DennisNedry »

Just so you guys know I found the link for the Hi-Res Texture Pack that TheIdiot made, enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/41mol76n9 ... es+V01.zip

Original Forum For Hi-Res Texture Pack: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10785

Hammond: Our lives are in your hands and you have butterfingers?
Nedry: AH AH AH you didn't say the magic word! SNICKERS!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks for posting the link, good to have those textures around... Am wondering how Tres Island Mod will look with these and others. :| Probably like a modern game. Might be a good idea to use high-poly dinosaur models in it, too.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just so you guys know I found the link for the Hi-Res Texture Pack that TheIdiot made, enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/41mol76n9 ... es+V01.zip

Original Forum For Hi-Res Texture Pack: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10785
Thanks for that! :) I won't be adding it to the first post though as I consider it a larger project independent of this smaller release thread.
Draconisaurus wrote:Thanks for posting the link, good to have those textures around... Am wondering how Tres Island Mod will look with these and others. :| Probably like a modern game. Might be a good idea to use high-poly dinosaur models in it, too.
Well, the High-Res textures are very incomplete, it's mostly just some Beach props that were redone. I'll have to get back on that one day.
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Location: Over here hacking . . . I mean protecting your computer! :)

Post by DennisNedry »

TheIdiot wrote:
Thanks for that! :) I won't be adding it to the first post though as I consider it a larger project independent of this smaller release thread.
No problemo! I just can't stand broken links, or when my plans go haywire. Such a waste of good dino embryos. Lets just forget all about the events at Jurassic Park shall we. :nerd:

But seriously great job with the textures, are you ever planning on finishing the Hi-Res Textures?
Hammond: Our lives are in your hands and you have butterfingers?
Nedry: AH AH AH you didn't say the magic word! SNICKERS!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Dennis, I highly doubt your interest in upgraded textures is for creating better desktop wallpaper... I'm warning you, if I see just one more unregistered use of the sat uplink...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

But seriously great job with the textures, are you ever planning on finishing the Hi-Res Textures?
Possibly, at some point. The problem with the Tres textures is that they're all divided up into so many images that it gets tedious just to retexture 1 object - even the average rock has 5 or 6 seperate textures.
or when my plans go haywire. Such a waste of good dino embryos. Lets just forget all about the events at Jurassic Park shall we. :nerd:
Considering the scale of the InGen Incident compared to the recent Masrani Incident, I would say your deliberate betrayal at least had far less catastrophic consequences than the general stupidity of Masrani's staff. Considering you're...well, dead, I think your apology may have some truth behind it after all. :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Now, now, let's not go pointing fingers. Hammond clearly should have spared even less expense than he did. :yum:

TI, the Trespasser Island Mod, IMO, really does call for an army of high-res textures. Perhaps prioritize which kinds of textures (from all levels) will receive the treatment and which won't.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Here's a tiny update, the Trespasser Weapon Sound Overhaul!

This is a small mod I did a long time ago for a user who wanted to replace the weapon sounds with his own selection. I never released the file publically, and the user seems to have disappered since (if you're the one reading this, feel free to let me know who you are!), so I've decided to put the file up for download. It works as an additive Effects .TPA file which you can attach to your mod in order to replace most of the gun sounds with these excellent new ones!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2tnw2qb2w ... A.zip/file
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Wow, an update almost a year after the previous post... let's see how this sounds. (Or should that be "let's hear"?)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, neat, however I'm more interested in a dinosaur sound collection ;)