Where is the import models folder

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Where is the import models folder

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The first time I try to create a new level and this is what I read in quick start guide..

Drop created file labeled, 'Trn_Placement.values.txt' into the Import_Models Folder. This file is important as it tells the engine what .wtd (terrain file) to load (this information is held inside the Trn_Placement Model). This is automatically produced to match your new level's name

however, I cannot find the import models folder to drop that file into. Can someone tell me how to go from there?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Where is the import models folder

Post by machf »

Unfortunately, that's what the original Trespasser developers used. We don't (didn't?) have the tools and files they used, so we've been doing things differently (developing our own set of tools and using a different method to build things). Can't help you with that, sorry.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

sorry forgot to mention this is from the twilight package that trescom put out.. not the developers original one.. look in the twilight package online, Tres_Twilight_v1\Trespasser Twilight\Shell Generator the quick start file there..it will say as above.. so I am very confused.
Attachments
quick start to creating a new level.bmp
quick start to creating a new level.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 18165 times
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Let me see if I can help you with a image :)

Drop created file labeled, 'Trn_Placement.values.txt' into the Import_Models Folder. This file is important as it tells the engine what .wtd (terrain file) to load (this information is held inside the Trn_Placement Model). This is automatically produced to match your new level's name.

In other words drag and drop 'Trn_Placement.values.txt' into the Import_Models Folder
Attachments
help.jpg
help.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 18157 times
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Maybe I am not making it clear, maybe I am just not right in the head, but this is how the twilight package opened up, and this is the folder that has the level generator thing in it..
Attachments
folder that has shell gen in it.bmp
folder that has shell gen in it.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 18154 times
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Bryankd2015 wrote:Maybe I am not making it clear, maybe I am just not right in the head, but this is how the twilight package opened up, and this is the folder that has the level generator thing in it..
Ups sorry, my fault... your using the twilight package not familiar with it sadly , but from what I know the twilight package was created over two or more years ago, and is today outdated , ( please anyone correct me if I am wrong)

I not sure how it works since twilight is basically all the tools in one place kinda thing :?

Best bet you have is download the Shell Level Generator http://www.trescom.org/download/downloa ... er0.05.zip
and put it directly in you trespasser data folder, that way the Import_Models folder will be there :)
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank you for that.. I was not aware.. I will do that

by the way, I downloaded it after reading that and I want to know do I put the contents of the zip in the trespasser/data folder or what
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Bryankd2015 wrote:Thank you for that.. I was not aware.. I will do that

by the way, I downloaded it after reading that and I want to know do I put the contents of the zip in the trespasser/data folder or what
yep you can do that, extract it to the trespasser data folder and then run it, and create the level, that way the Import_Models folder will be there and you can continue :)
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

ya.. that worked.. now trying to get the geoadd to put in the wtd file

I want to create new levels and import the original terrain to each of them, so they can be changed and ran correctly, unless there is another way to alter the original levels, without it popping errors trying to load them into the game
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, you're using Twilight? I never really looked at it (as it was basically a package containing stuff I had already downloaded individually), I thought that you meant one of those documents that were there with the source code... (or were they the ones tatu got, maybe?)

I guess the best person to answer would be whoever wrote it in the first place...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I am restoring the game by way of the 1997 Walk through, so I want to be able to create or fix the lost levels and alter the existing ones.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Bryankd2015 - Tatu and I are the creators of Trespasser Twilight. Sorry I didn't see this when you posted it. The Import folders in the Tres Twilight version of Shell Gen are mostly of my own adding. There's no "models" folder, as that is basically the "everything else you do on your own" catagory. There are many models to be imported in the various Import folders. Please read the file "_readme.txt" within the Shell Generator folder for a quick description of how to use it.

As for Twilight being out of date - I wouldn't quite say that. As I've noticed so far, Tres CE is not fully cooperative with all released levels and so the engine in Twilight's /Game folder serves as the go-to for these cases. I am tentatively considering a re-release of Twilight which contains both the "old" ATX engine and Tres CE, but all that's needed is to make a new folder for the CE engine within Twilight. I still fully recommend Twilight as an organized resource for Tres modding/playing. ;)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:but all that's needed is to make a new folder for the CE engine within Twilight. I still fully recommend Twilight as an organized resource for Tres modding/playing. ;)
Not really. All you need is the CE exe in the same folder as ATX. They use different .ini files so you can use both ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

The first time I try to create a new level and this is what I read in quick start guide..

Drop created file labeled, 'Trn_Placement.values.txt' into the Import_Models Folder. This file is important as it tells the engine what .wtd (terrain file) to load (this information is held inside the Trn_Placement Model). This is automatically produced to match your new level's name

however, I cannot find the import models folder to drop that file into. Can someone tell me how to go from there?
That's because my instructions were written for my shell level generator package and not the alterations or the repackaging made by others. In its original package, only the import models folder existed. They should have rewritten the instructions to fit the changes that they made. ;)