Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: All New Trespasser Fan Levels

Post by mleise »

TrespasserGuy wrote:[…] I don't think I was ever interpolated into the air […]
Interpolation is when you have multiple data samples and you guess at additional data in-between those to achieve a higher apparent resolution. In 3D games, that's the difference between software rendering with blocky textures and hardware rendering with smooth textures. Extrapolation is the process of adding data outside of the known values, for example to create forecasts.
What you are looking for is probably "catapulted" or "launched". :nerd:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooooo finally played this level! (Mountain Road)

First off, always nice to see new levels full of stuff. This, IMO, is one of the top reasons we all are here. I don't join forums just to chat. 8-)

Pros:
Nice variety of stuff... Good to see old assets being put to new uses. It enhances their legacy and the diversity of that which has been accomplished in Tres. I quite like that black/red male raptor with the crest... Where's it from? *embarrassed that he can't recall whether it is in JPDS* Also, it's good to see someone else using the new, film-canon raptor vocals and some of the music from JPDS. :) AFAIK, you are the first modder to implement the new vocals in a mod other than JPDS. I liked the variety of scenes - an InGen facility here, a nest there, a jeep-wreck there.

Cons:
The foliage is... Well there's not a whole lot of it. The level feels a bit empty/unrealistic at its current foliage level. It's especially lacking in ground foliage (can't remember if there was any). There are lots of other mods which suffer this... It's just not as fun to go around an empty level without natural scenery to look at. Gives the impression of less work put into the level, too (no offense :). 'Tis a common beginning-modder issue.
Went around the level first ingame, then in TresEd... Went to the facility and turned on the power (was this supposed to do something other than start sound FX and summon a raptor?), then checked in TresEd to see a path beyond the fence (made obvious by the fallen palm crossin a casm)... Is there supposed to be a way to get passed the fence? I could not accomplish it even with the crates I found next to it.

Bugs:
First off, you included the additive TPA files without an INI file to assign them. Dunno how many members here created one which assigns them / know how to do that. Here it is:
https://app.box.com/s/lu8lvvbghjqrruziw72g8zwh0xgeag1j
Theeeee end-level trigger (from what I can tell w/out looking in TresEd) loads the same level you are in. Maybe this was done since the next level is not out yet - better to have an endgame trigger there instead.

Rating: 5.5/10

Great level - you are now among the ranks of those who have released new, finished Trespasser content! 8)
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Mon May 02, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

The funny thing is that in two play-throughs I could not find what the Mayan spirits demanded to grant me passage into their lands of ancient temples and secret caverns. Eventually I looked it up in TresEd to find it is very early in the game and was surprised by how much I missed out on. It's the first time I've seen an easter egg that is larger than the actual product. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Edited my post above... Forgot that this thread had multiple levels, and said "with" instead of "without" (re: INI file).
Aaaand... Did not find the Mayan ruins, ingame or in TresEd! Don't suppose I could get a hint as to how to find them?

Aaaand Hunters Camp... *is lazy and busy and played the level a long time ago* Suffice it to say, I really liked the little hidden Mayan spot, the whole tunnel thing, and the use of JPDS plains trees. The facility area felt a bit empty and I don't recall the level ending. Ah yesh and the actual hunters camp felt very empty. Again, I really liked the tunnel stuff. :) I'll give that one a 4/10.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Your rating is based on the game WITHOUT the ruins? Can't do that! :p
Well, remember that hoax about supposedly Mayan/alien crystal skulls? There is one not far from a little tool shed and it will talk to you. Listen closely...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Reminds me of the "crystal" skull in JPDS, which dispenses advice... ;) In fact it doesn't look crystalline so much as green soapstone...
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Well from the description ... it might actually be that skull. I don't know JPDS though.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sooooo finally played this level! (Mountain Road)

First off, always nice to see new levels full of stuff. This, IMO, is one of the top reasons we all are here. I don't join forums just to chat. 8-)

Pros:
Nice variety of stuff... Good to see old assets being put to new uses. It enhances their legacy and the diversity of that which has been accomplished in Tres. I quite like that black/red male raptor with the crest... Where's it from? *embarrassed that he can't recall whether it is in JPDS* Also, it's good to see someone else using the new, film-canon raptor vocals and some of the music from JPDS. :) AFAIK, you are the first modder to implement the new vocals in a mod other than JPDS. I liked the variety of scenes - an InGen facility here, a nest there, a jeep-wreck there.

Cons:
The foliage is... Well there's not a whole lot of it. The level feels a bit empty/unrealistic at its current foliage level. It's especially lacking in ground foliage (can't remember if there was any). There are lots of other mods which suffer this... It's just not as fun to go around an empty level without natural scenery to look at. Gives the impression of less work put into the level, too (no offense :). 'Tis a common beginning-modder issue.
Went around the level first ingame, then in TresEd... Went to the facility and turned on the power (was this supposed to do something other than start sound FX and summon a raptor?), then checked in TresEd to see a path beyond the fence (made obvious by the fallen palm crossin a casm)... Is there supposed to be a way to get passed the fence? I could not accomplish it even with the crates I found next to it.

Bugs:
First off, you included the additive TPA files without an INI file to assign them. Dunno how many members here created one which assigns them / know how to do that. Here it is:
https://app.box.com/s/lu8lvvbghjqrruziw72g8zwh0xgeag1j
Theeeee end-level trigger (from what I can tell w/out looking in TresEd) loads the same level you are in. Maybe this was done since the next level is not out yet - better to have an endgame trigger there instead.

Rating: 5.5/10

Great level - you are now among the ranks of those who have released new, finished Trespasser content! 8)
Thanks for the review, Draco. If this isn't constructive criticism, I don't what it is. If you want to get over the chasm with the dead palm tree next to it, try to look at the hunter skeleton nearby. I also want you to find the Mayan ruins, for there is a really nice Easter Egg over there. :)
mleise wrote:The funny thing is that in two play-throughs I could not find what the Mayan spirits demanded to grant me passage into their lands of ancient temples and secret caverns. Eventually I looked it up in TresEd to find it is very early in the game and was surprised by how much I missed out on. It's the first time I've seen an easter egg that is larger than the actual product. :)
Hah, thanks mleise. I tried to make that side-quest as enjoyable as possible. :D
Draconisaurus wrote:Edited my post above... Forgot that this thread had multiple levels, and said "with" instead of "without" (re: INI file).
Aaaand... Did not find the Mayan ruins, ingame or in TresEd! Don't suppose I could get a hint as to how to find them?

Aaaand Hunters Camp... *is lazy and busy and played the level a long time ago* Suffice it to say, I really liked the little hidden Mayan spot, the whole tunnel thing, and the use of JPDS plains trees. The facility area felt a bit empty and I don't recall the level ending. Ah yesh and the actual hunters camp felt very empty. Again, I really liked the tunnel stuff. :) I'll give that one a 4/10.
Yeah, I'll try to fix up Hunters' Camp before it's actual release. It was based off the first level I actually tried to make, so I can understand your rating. :P
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hey, everybody. Just wanted to let you know that a YouTube gamer by the name of Shadefyre has played through my Mountain Road level. I let him have the level files a few months ago and now he finally did a Let's Play of it. He's already done playthroughs of custom Tres levels before, such as Mickey's The Hunt and Sluggers' Complex. Go check it out, he offers some great commentary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdN-LasDBg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNOh1_w0D5k
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TrespasserGuy wrote:
machf wrote:Your request is hereby denied :P

Nah, I'll let you know once it's done. I'm downloading it right now.

Hey, machf, did you ever get around to downloading this level? :)
Well, I finally uploaded it today. Now I'm uploading the earlier version (just in case) and Hunters' Camp, too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

machf wrote: Well, I finally uploaded it today. Now I'm uploading the earlier version (just in case) and Hunters' Camp, too...
Thanks, machf. I feel like I've really contributed to TresCom by having a level of mine on the site. :D Thank you again.
Also, do you mind using this image as the icon for the level?
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Done.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Also, do you mind using this image as the icon for the level?
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Say, where is that level of hppav's where those geothermal pipes came from? It was a version of TLW film town that he made...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Say, where is that level of hppav's where those geothermal pipes came from? It was a version of TLW film town that he made...
Possibly here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9217
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Aha thanks!