-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Trespasser Experience

Post by tatu »

Trespasser Experience

ABANDONED
This work is not in the works anymore.

Code: Select all

Trespasser Experience is a project created by Tatu. The aim of the project is to bring more experience to the levels
of Trespasser with the help of various sources, as offical documents, original assets, earlier builds etc.

Levels released in this project can be used as replacements of the original levels, as these are fully playable.
Major changes like new areas, new fanmade assets etc have not been created or added, in order to keep the true
Trespasser-Experience. You can now replay the game once again and have more fun, and discover new things.

See readme in download for further information
I always wanted, since the leak of build 96 combine various things from it into the retail levels and create levels you can use to replace the retail ones, and get both the build 96 and retail experience. I have used various sources like official documents, assets etc to create this, and my plan is not to add new areas, fanmade assets etc to the game, but rather keep the original feeling of it. I will try to fix bugs etc in any way I can (things possible without programming).

First release is the summit (SU). Should be played with the CE patch with DisplayDX9 enabled for best experience.

Easiest is to download and play to see what this project really is, as I'm not great in writing descriptions :P

Releases:

SU:

2014-10-18:
https://app.box.com/s/bixp3bj6congqrfw0ka2hvijcvu3pal5

2015-04-21 (Use above as a base, then replace level files.)
https://app.box.com/s/0njyiizzvcs7ltgnsnxqp0aw8mzy83v1
Last edited by tatu on Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Re: Trespasser Experience

Post by tatu »

The 24-bit textures included are from leaked assets, and might not be noticeable in-game. One example however will be the hunting rifle:
TresExp24BitTextures_HuntRifle.png
TresExp24BitTextures_HuntRifle.png (381.88 KiB) Viewed 17693 times
Top image is the 24-bit texture. Notice it's more bright than the bottom.

Botton image is the texture from the .SWP file.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

1. Installation is a bit too finicky. On the forum here you should just say "Download the .zip into your trespasser root folder and extract. If you are not using Trespasser CE, then read the readme for further instructions" and have it be that way, rather than forcing us to open the readme and then extract different directories from the zip into different directories in Trespasser. I know this is a minor complaint, but having it the way you've done it gives players doubts as to whether or not they installed in correctly.

2. The level didn't load the default CE way you had it come with, I had to move the map directly to the data folder and remove the old copy before it would show up.

Oh, but I do love this little update you've made. This is what I've wanted to do for quite a while. Not remakes, but little fixes that fix the game's most easily fixable flaws. Did you add any new acts to the raptors? After I first ascended from the lower base and met the first two raptors (not the ones at the very beginning, but when you start to climb) and sprayed my stocked MAC-10 into them, one of them jumped or lunged or something, but then ran into the other raptor and they both went past me to my other side. I killed one as it was flying through the air, and the other was limping away wounded. But my other gun I had dropped earlier and was on the other side of the wounded raptor, so I had to deal with that. I loved it.

I wish I had a stair machine...

One bug I did see was that the alpha boss raptor spawned but didn't activate until I got closer to it. It was stuck in that spawn pose.

So if I were you I would:
1. Fix the blood palette issue (not that important as it still looks gory)
2. Fix the alpha raptor's activation distance.

And optionally:
3. Prevent the player from seeing the alpha raptor when it spawns. Perhaps move the spawn trigger somewhere else.
4. Make the way to get out of the boss arena some other physics puzzle besides box stacking (behind the boxes or something so as to hide the alpha raptor from spawning)

I might consider redoing some textures to help you with your project...
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu

Post by tatu »

1. Installation is a bit too finicky. On the forum here you should just say "Download the .zip into your trespasser root folder and extract. If you are not using Trespasser CE, then read the readme for further instructions" and have it be that way, rather than forcing us to open the readme and then extract different directories from the zip into different directories in Trespasser. I know this is a minor complaint, but having it the way you've done it gives players doubts as to whether or not they installed in correctly.
I will work on doing a better installation instruction, been stressed out all day so I did a quick one. I didn't focused too much on it since you can just do the same like any other fan level. Also, most people here atm know how to install a fan level (anyone who will probably try this out anyway).
2. The level didn't load the default CE way you had it come with, I had to move the map directly to the data folder and remove the old copy before it would show up.
Which map, and which old copy?
Did you add any new acts to the raptors?
I did not. I believe you enabled some with the .ini file in CE, haven't spend any time on the raptors.
One bug I did see was that the alpha boss raptor spawned but didn't activate until I got closer to it. It was stuck in that spawn pose.
I do not have this issue. Do you have the max activated dinosaurs option set in the .ini file? If that so, try disable it. Also, I played with the settings found in the "trespasser_dx9.ini" example configs folder. No other settings have been tested, as that will take too much time.
1. Fix the blood palette issue (not that important as it still looks gory)
As mention in the readme, I'm aware of the problem, I need to find a palette that works will all terrain textures, since I use textures from both AS and SUM.
2. Fix the alpha raptor's activation distance.
See above.

And optionally:
3. Prevent the player from seeing the alpha raptor when it spawns. Perhaps move the spawn trigger somewhere else.
Because the location is pretty small there is no way to move it so the player don't see her, as she is bigger than the buildings, you can't hide her.
4. Make the way to get out of the boss arena some other physics puzzle besides box stacking (behind the boxes or something so as to hide the alpha raptor from spawning)
As I said. My intention is to combine things from various official sources, not add things I would like to see. I have no intention in doing a remake of the levels. Minor things are added as eye candy (like the shoulder part of the hunter, and the rib etc), but no really changes to puzzles. Also, it's a direct import of the ending box puzzle found in build 96, and it works fine.

I also have no intention in making it possible to hide the alpha raptor, since it's a boss battle, and in build 96, you could only finish the game if you killed the boss. It is meant that you are going to kill the raptors, and then finish the box puzzle.
I might consider redoing some textures to help you with your project...
Then again, I have no intention in doing a remake of any kind, as mention in the Readme. So I will not redo any textures as I will only use what's found within the game files and from official asset. I will not use any fan-made asset for it (unless it's physics made for models not found in-game, like from Mystery Models).

awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

tatu wrote:
Which map, and which old copy?
Your map, and "old copy" refers to the "Trespasser/data/Trespasser Experience/SU.scn" I had to remove to allow the game to detect the "Trespasser/data/SU.scn" one. Anyways, I was using an old version of CE that maybe didn't have support for the custom file paths yet. Dunno.

And if you want a fixed, original feel rather than a revived one then that's okay too I guess... just seems a bit odd to organize all of these assets and spend valuable time only to add roofs to the buildings and add more bones. It seems then that these updates of yours are going to be so limited in scope that only those who are already hardcore fans would bother to try it. :?

This still is a baby step in the right direction though. We need functioning maps more than we do better textures. Hopefully Tatu will let us use these levels of his as templates to improve the game further than he is willing to go.

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Cool, I'll have to check this out later. Sounds rather interesting, and it's something I've tried before - can't wait to see how yours turn out. Is this the same project you guys let me playtest the BE level from..? :P
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DrShaw »

I'm so trying this out because a fix up version of the original levels is amazing to hear because the originals has many problems. Downloading it now.
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Your map, and "old copy" refers to the "Trespasser/data/Trespasser Experience/SU.scn" I had to remove to allow the game to detect the "Trespasser/data/SU.scn" one. Anyways, I was using an old version of CE that maybe didn't have support for the custom file paths yet. Dunno.
Possible. That's why I said read the readme, it tells you which version you need in order to play it :P
And if you want a fixed, original feel rather than a revived one then that's okay too I guess... just seems a bit odd to organize all of these assets and spend valuable time only to add roofs to the buildings and add more bones. It seems then that these updates of yours are going to be so limited in scope that only those who are already hardcore fans would bother to try it. :?
I find it weird that no one in the last 11 years (since the latest TresEd was released) have made any major project to fix up the original levels. There have been some minor project that got abandoned, but many turned into more remake with a lot of fan-made things. I personally prefer the original levels, and also, in most game communities, bug fixing the original levels are the first thing people want. I know there are more people here who love them. Also, doing a huge bug fix project, aim to reduce all floating objects, broken scripts etc might want people to replay the game again. Why use the game only for modding if we don't respect the work the dev did? I'm also friend with many from the dev team, feels right to finish a lot of what they never got the time to do.
This still is a baby step in the right direction though. We need functioning maps more than we do better textures.
It's a huge step in order to make the original levels even more playable. There is also already the project Trespasser Reloaded for a huge remake of all levels. Feel free to contact Draco for textures, we need that help there :)
Hopefully Tatu will let us use these levels of his as templates to improve the game further than he is willing to go.
Feel free to do whatever you want with them. Use then as a base template, mod them etc :)
Cool, I'll have to check this out later. Sounds rather interesting, and it's something I've tried before - can't wait to see how yours turn out. Is this the same project you guys let me playtest the BE level from..? :P
That would be Trespasser Reloaded ;)
I'm so trying this out because a fix up version of the original levels is amazing to hear because the originals has many problems. Downloading it now.
I hope you will have fun :)

awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

tatu wrote:
Possible. That's why I said read the readme, it tells you which version you need in order to play it :P
The point was that I was unable to do it the CE way even though I had CE.

Post benchamrks:
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:The point was that I was unable to do it the CE way even though I had CE.
I forgot to mention that I use Trespasser Twilight as a base, but still, not sure why it didn't work for you, as it worked fine for me.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice level Tatu! Didn't realize you had already released something for this. 8)

I want to say that I preferred the retail release of SUM over this in most ways. To start, for whatever reason, the beginning of b116 SUM is the about the hardest dino encounter in the game. I die over and over before successfully defeating them. In this case it was fairly easy, even though there was a missing gun at the start. I think one reason might be that I was basically attacked by only one raptor at a time, there. Also in some way, the interiors of the buildings... while nice... make it easy to hide from the raptors and decrease the difficulty of the area. Might be part of why they were taken out. I commend including more complete versions of models in your mod but this was a minor issue. I guess it's okay though.

Definitely fix that blood splat issue.. yuck lol. Message me in facebook - I know how to create totally new terrain palettes. I am curious why terrain textures from AS you're using that causes this problem. I'm also confused because if you are using any of the original Tres terrains, they should have bloodsplats (unless it's from a beta level which, unbeknownst to me at this time, does not have bloodsplats at all and so doesn't support their colors).

Mmmmm Tatu... The radio conversation is completely missing! I am certain it's because you're using beta triggers. Generally not a good idea, IMO, except for things which were completely removed. Scripted events is one thing you should expect b116 to be superior for in most cases.

I must say, I was not pleased that some (or all?) weapons were stocked with half normal ammo. This is from the beta I take it?

For the final area... I liked your inclusion of Anne's talking to the raptors after they die. It clashed a bit with the music and ammo counts but I liked it nonetheless. As for the crate puzzle... All I had to do was move one crate over to the others and boom, I was over. I remember it being more involved in the retail; it's up to you but I preferred it being a bit more difficult.

As a note, I must say that I didn't notice any of the higher res textures. I forgot to look but it may point out that higher res / 24/32-bit textures are mainly valuable on certain kinds of objects rather than for general use.

Hmm... You've used "li_su_0.tga" for the loading image. That's a nice name but you'll need to come up with new naming schemes for the other--- Or wait. Are you only making new loading images for levels with different names?

Question! How much of the Max IT stuff will go into the Tres Experience version of IT? I could imagine you including the increased area in the town, with the lost gate, but also of course including the whole dam area...
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Mmmmm Tatu... The radio conversation is completely missing! I am certain it's because you're using beta triggers. Generally not a good idea, IMO, except for things which were completely removed. Scripted events is one thing you should expect b116 to be superior for in most cases.
The radio conversation worked fine for me. I think you have to mess with the radio after you press the big red button.
I must say, I was not pleased that some (or all?) weapons were stocked with half normal ammo. This is from the beta I take it?
Most weapons in summit have always had half ammo, even in the retail. I like this, and I think more weapons in the game should be this way to make the game more difficult and more realistic.

Although I would definitely edit the weapons so that instead of 4/4 ammo it is 4/8 ammo, so Anne actually lets the player know. Although Anne would usually just say four shots anyways, so this idea is more applicable to the automatics.
As a note, I must say that I didn't notice any of the higher res textures. I forgot to look but it may point out that higher res / 24/32-bit textures are mainly valuable on certain kinds of objects rather than for general use.
I don't think Tatu had higher res textures (he doesn't want any as discussed above), just higher quality 24-bit textures of the same resolution. Like how the textures were before they were originally compressed to their 8-bit palettes.

Post benchamrks:
tatu

Post by tatu »

I want to say that I preferred the retail release of SUM over this in most ways. To start, for whatever reason, the beginning of b116 SUM is the about the hardest dino encounter in the game. I die over and over before successfully defeating them. In this case it was fairly easy, even though there was a missing gun at the start. I think one reason might be that I was basically attacked by only one raptor at a time, there. Also in some way, the interiors of the buildings... while nice... make it easy to hide from the raptors and decrease the difficulty of the area. Might be part of why they were taken out. I commend including more complete versions of models in your mod but this was a minor issue. I guess it's okay though.
I haven't modified the dinosaurs in any way. Also, there is no missing gun, as I used the retail level as the base file, and I did not remove anything. Also, you don't need to go into the buildings if you think that makes it too easy ;)
Also, remember you probably played it with ATX most of the time, and that had the difficult slider, and other dino modding settings.
Definitely fix that blood splat issue.. yuck lol. Message me in facebook - I know how to create totally new terrain palettes. I am curious why terrain textures from AS you're using that causes this problem. I'm also confused because if you are using any of the original Tres terrains, they should have bloodsplats (unless it's from a beta level which, unbeknownst to me at this time, does not have bloodsplats at all and so doesn't support their colors).
I didn't use the AS palette, but rather one that came with Tres Twilight. Will PM you.
As Awesome said, it works fine. I changed it so you have to touch the radio in order to control it. Makes more sense to me.
No. From retail.
For the final area... I liked your inclusion of Anne's talking to the raptors after they die. It clashed a bit with the music and ammo counts but I liked it nonetheless. As for the crate puzzle... All I had to do was move one crate over to the others and boom, I was over. I remember it being more involved in the retail; it's up to you but I preferred it being a bit more difficult.
As for Anne's talking, that was mention in her VO script. As for the puzzle, the retail needs you to place two create instead of one in order to get over, I will look into that.
I don't think Tatu had higher res textures (he doesn't want any as discussed above), just higher quality 24-bit textures of the same resolution. Like how the textures were before they were originally compressed to their 8-bit palettes.
Yes, I only used the ones coming from the mystery models etc.
Hmm... You've used "li_su_0.tga" for the loading image. That's a nice name but you'll need to come up with new naming schemes for the other--- Or wait. Are you only making new loading images for levels with different names?
SU since it's mention in the documents that it was it's original name, so beach will still be BE etc. But SU loading image is just a renamed version of SUM, but since CE doesn't load them from the regular menu folder as ATX did.
Question! How much of the Max IT stuff will go into the Tres Experience version of IT? I could imagine you including the increased area in the town, with the lost gate, but also of course including the whole dam area...
I don't know yet, haven't come that for. I might end up doing the dam area it's own level, since the Max IT terrain doesn't include the dam area. We'll see.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Frak, forgot to post my review on here after playing it last week! :sick:
Overall, excellent work fixing things up. The bloodsplat issue was something I noticed too, but you guys should be able to fix it yourselves. If you wanted to include the building interiors but keep the difficulty up, you could just add bool Frozen = true to the doors so they don't move but could still potentially be accessed. Apart from that, didn't really have anything else to comment on in the bug department - the radio worked fine for me too. The Raptors at the start nearly killed me and I ended up resorting to firearms because they kept running me down and there aren't any melee weapons (in case you don't know, I try to play levels in Tres without guns and bunny hopping unless totally necessary). Also, it seems you added a few extra Raptors to the trail leading up to the helipad station? Either way, that section was particularly difficult - I died twice when I was knocked off of cliffs by surprise dinosaurs. As with Draco, I noticed that you made the box puzzle at the end somehow easier; usually, you would have to stack two boxes or just repeatedly jump at one box until you got on top, where in this version I just threw a single box over there and climbed up. In my opinion, however, I thought this was actually an improvement - I always thought that one last box puzzle kind of took away from the climactic nature of the final battle. :P
Uum, the one little suggestion I have is to get the wind turbines spinning. Although I know this wasn't in the retail or beta. I think it would make sense considering the fact that the island's power is up and running again in addition to there being an audible wind ambiance in the background. I'm pretty sure the wind turbines are separate objects from the fans, so this should theoretically work if done using triggers and magnets - just this fact makes it seem that at one point the devs were going to have the turbines working. :)
Anyway, great work again, tatu! I ended up replacing my retail SUM.scn level with yours (even changed the triggers at the end of AS2 to load your level). I look forward to seeing what else you'll be updating in the other levels.
One last question, will the Tres Experience include Pine Valley in working form? The Geo Plant and the bridges that follow it seem to be broken trigger wise; I believe the bridges with the little control panels were supposed to be raised until you get the Geo Plant working so you can't reach the Lab without restoring power.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:
I haven't modified the dinosaurs in any way.
Well, it's just an observation that that it didn't seem as thrilling or as dangerous as I'm used to. Could have been my specific playthrough(s) of your level or something.
PS: After playing your level and SUM-retail I have decided they are about the same difficulty. I guess I have gotten pretty good at that encounter by now. :)
Also, there is no missing gun, as I used the retail level as the base file, and I did not remove anything.
Hmmm... After looking again... I see I was mistaken. For some reason I came under the impression that the desert eagle at the start was missing.
Also, remember you probably played it with ATX most of the time, and that had the difficult slider, and other dino modding settings.
True but to my knowledge I've never altered the difficulty setting as long as I've played lol.
I didn't use the AS palette, but rather one that came with Tres Twilight. Will PM you.
Hmmm I see... And alright.
As Awesome said, it works fine. I changed it so you have to touch the radio in order to control it. Makes more sense to me.
Ohh. My bad. Sounds like a good idea. 8)
No. From retail.
..Ah.
As for Anne's talking, that was mention in her VO script.
Yes I recall - that's part of why I like it. :yes:
As for the puzzle, the retail needs you to place two create instead of one in order to get over, I will look into that.
Sounds good!
Yes, I only used the ones coming from the mystery models etc.
Yeah my bad... I actually knew that, I was just mindlessly referring to them as such because of the nature of the Tres CE feature. At any rate I still didn't notice a difference, but I wasn't looking...
SU since it's mention in the documents that it was it's original name, so beach will still be BE etc. But SU loading image is just a renamed version of SUM, but since CE doesn't load them from the regular menu folder as ATX did.
*opens archive to be sure* Uhhh Tatu, it's still in the regular menu folder in your release. And ATX loaded them from a separate folder - maybe you were thinking the right thing but typed it backwards. I'm not sure but there might be some alternate menu stuff available in CE, anyways.
I don't know yet, haven't come that for. I might end up doing the dam area it's own level, since the Max IT terrain doesn't include the dam area. We'll see.
Oh interesting. I figured you wouldn't want that kind of major change but I could see it working. Could name it PL even though it won't have much in the way of plains lol.