My old project: Trespasser Reborn

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

My old project: Trespasser Reborn

Post by TheIdiot »

So two years ago, after I realized my Return to Jurassic Park level was somewhat of a disaster but before I decided to remake it, I started on a project I called Trespasser Reborn (since you guys took Reloaded :P ). Basically, it was a sort of JPDS-style (in fact, it uses almost all JPDS objects) remake of the original Trespasser on a map of the film-canon Isla Sorna. Starting at the Beach on the south, you'd make your way to the Town and then the Summit. But there would be other ways to escape, and other hazards along the way.
Unfortunately, I managed to screw up the level in many ways and bring the palette count up to like 89, which Tres won't load properly without crashing. So I pretty much ended up with a glitchy, crash-prone level with the first three levels complete. However, it is still playable and interesting to see! I'll upload it another time when I can find a good uploading site for the level.

So, as with my usual post, click "show spoilers" to show the images I took on my journey.

BEACH
Spoiler: show
"Oh God...this can't be happening. We hit the water like...Marquez? Marquez!"
The starting beach. Water is set up like in TC-Isle, with animated waves and fading color water. There are little sea shells as described in the old walk through. This is on the very south end of the island.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
"Sure is beautiful here. Must be one of the offshore islands."
Just after that rock-jumping puzzle, which is in the game. I'm heading West along the coast. You can see the foundation in the distance.
Click on Image
"A foundation, maybe..."
The ruins of the Hotel. Some of the planks are booby-trapped to fall if you go under them. There is also a gun and a few melee weapons in hard to reach spots.
Click on Image
"I wonder what they left here..."
Turning north and inland, you can see the back part of the Hotel which is similar to the Jungle Gym in Tres.
Click on Image
"InGen - some kind of...wait."
The more subtle little InGen sign I put just behind the second fence. You have to use a tool to smash through some boards in a weakened section of the fence to go on as the gate is locked.
Click on Image
"Looks like it ran off the trail for some reason."
A little area off in the jungle, mainly for detail and something interesting.
Click on Image
"Oh god. Something like thirty people died here. Professional hunter types...mercenaries..."
You can either follow the road or go down into the little valley. I had yet to add the Unimog, which would've been crashed into one of those little puddles.
Click on Image
WHO LIKES BOX PUZZLES?! I don't, so there would've been two little bridges across the divets here, except the second would would be broken and require some plank moving to proceed.
Click on Image
"What happened here?"
The crashed car and boulder valley where the first Raptor attacks. In this mod, you don't encounter any dinosaurs until much later in Jungle Road as inspired by the walk through.
Click on Image
"I knew all along this was a stupid idea."
The see-saw bridge, functioning as good as ever!
Click on Image
Off in the distance, an eerie ruin creeps from the jungle. Hard to see until you're right on top of it, like the walkthrough says.
Click on Image
"Welcome to the City of Tomorrow."
Got a bit to say about the monorail station - first off, you can see it's a bit more interesting with some benches and stuff. You can also see a new sign I made for the area, the other just behind the station which actually reads what Anne says. I also remade the two small signs in HD and completely redid the station's textures to match more with the theme.
Click on Image
JUNGLE ROAD
Hammond narrates as you drop from the monorail track and either continue along the road or follow a creekbed. The monorail is almost finished in this game, with its final section in the middle part of Industrial Jungle.
Click on Image
"Oh, man...he really did it."
Aaaand glitchasaurus. The Trike's head palette got messed up and this happened. Other than that, your first dino is sleeping and won't wake up unless you do so yourself. It makes a breathing sound, too! This area is where you would find the raptors vs Triceratops in the original.
Click on Image
More glitchasauruses! This is the place where you see your first herd of dinosaurs - in this case, a trio of Triceratops. One of them is a baby and will get attacked by a pack of suddenly spawning raptors which come from the woods on the left. In the distance is Mount Crick.
Click on Image
"Woah...surreal."
Can you guess what that building is? Obviously you can. But no peeking!
Click on Image
"Ugh, this SUCKS!"
The monorail has gaps in it now - one of them over a fifty foot drop. Also there are raptors below you. And crates on the track. Have fun!
Click on Image
"Well. They certainly were serious about their monorail."
This is where it ends and you get a nice overview of the terrain to come in Industrial Jungle.
Click on Image
INDUSTRIAL JUNGLE
"Clever girl."
Moving through the creekbed and passing some ominous skeletal remains, you come across this pair of hungry raptors.
Click on Image
"Sun's in the west. I think. Which means that mountain I saw from the beach must be north."
This view from a dried up watefall offers a view across the swamps and all the way to Mount Watson. Keen observers will notice a very ominous set of buildings below in the dense jungle.
Click on Image
"This...this isn't supposed to happen."
Look everyone, it's Carter!
Click on Image
"This should be happening to a...a policeman, or a...ninja."
A guest star awaits if you step behind the waterfall.
Click on Image
"No thanks required."
One of the best parts of the original makes a return.
Click on Image
"Oh God..."
Exiting the streambed brings you to a lake where the mud slows you down and this bad boy awaits. Each Tyrannosaur looks different and uses a different skin. And there are seven of them too.
Click on Image
Your only refuge from our old pal Rexy is in this canyon. But does this entrance really look much safer?
Click on Image
"Oh God, it's a nest."
Here's a secret little area you can get to from the T-rex lakebed area. Shows you a view of what's to come.
Click on Image
Uh oh.
Click on Image
Here's the other monorail station, still under construction. You can get back on the monorail to bypass the Raptor Canyon from here.
Click on Image
"I can't believe I just did that."
Don't jump off this cliff - the triggers won't save you! There's a road that goes around, fortunately.
Click on Image
"Showers, coffee, air conditioning. Almost there."
This shattered bridge is the only barrier between you and the town. All you need to do to cross is place a piece of plywood across the gap - while an angry Albertosaurus harasses you.
Click on Image
Outside the town, things don't really look too good.
Click on Image
"This thing needs a passcode. Must be written down somewhere."
Fortunately, I didn't freeze the gate yet so the non-exsistant passcode isn't needed.
Click on Image
INGEN TOWN
"Hello..? Hello!"
Main street in the town. Hppav's models look friggen brilliant in a dense jungle setting.
Click on Image
"This place is dead."
My crappy model of the InGeneral Store. It was my first!
Click on Image
"Where is the goddamn phone?!"
My second model, this time a hotel-type building for visiting mad scientists. It may or may not see a return in RTJP.
Click on Image
"Very nice, John."
Glitch city. This model I am pretty proud of though. Friggen palettes messed it up pretty bad though, and the game tends to crash here all the time.
Click on Image
"Heart of an Empire."
Hammond's main hall. The building actually has physics, too. On the left is a library, storage and bathroom, to the right is the kitchen and dining room. Second floor has the study, master bedroom, master bathroom and guest bedroom. I'd try and show you guys but the game just couldn't handle the awesomeness.
Click on Image
And there, ladies and gentlemen, is what remains of my first (not really) large-scale project. There is some more stuff, namely the Embryonics Admin valley, Holding Paddock, Railroad, Dam and Airstip, but none of it is really that detailed. I have some heavily edited images I made while I was working away, maybe I'll share them later. Not too bad, but could use some improvement. If you guys want it, I'll share it. Just be aware of all the bugs and stuff first. :P
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: My old project: Trespasser Reborn

Post by tatu »

Looks pretty good! Would love to see these released even if they don't work properly.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Nice work,I like how colourful the jungle shots are,for some reason it stands out..like they look richer than usual.Been lot more trespasser activity around here recently too which is nice to see.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Hello,

This is absolutely brilliant and I love what you have done! The whole thing just "pops" more than the original. I want to see more.

Will you be returning to this project to flesh out some of the undetailed areas you mentioned? I hope you will, because, as I said earlier, this is brilliant stuff.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:Looks pretty good! Would love to see these released even if they don't work properly.
Alright, I'll give it a go. Someone want to shoot me a link for a good site to upload the five level files?
vagrantart wrote:Nice work,I like how colourful the jungle shots are,for some reason it stands out..like they look richer than usual.Been lot more trespasser activity around here recently too which is nice to see.
Well, like I said, all the flora and terrain is from JPDS. Maybe the amount of lighting I used and ambiance are what makes it pop so much more, though I'm pretty sure the values are from Tres's InGen Town.
Road Warrior wrote:Hello,

This is absolutely brilliant and I love what you have done! The whole thing just "pops" more than the original. I want to see more.

Will you be returning to this project to flesh out some of the undetailed areas you mentioned? I hope you will, because, as I said earlier, this is brilliant stuff.
Nah, I think this project is kind of toast, unless someone wants to export the whole thing to a clean, unbroken level. I'll upload some editor screens of the rest of the level though. :)

EDIT: New images of other areas, show spoiler:
The holding paddock, just north of the Triceratops Clearing. You'd have to go into it in order to find an item.
Click on Image
A better shot of the Aviary, the top part is from JPDS but I was able to model the main cage. There's nothing inside though.
Click on Image
Another area in the Raptor Canyon.
Click on Image
The road from the East Monorail Station that I mentioned, goes down into the Albertosaur Valley.
Click on Image
Overview of the Town. There was to be a lot more to it.
Click on Image
Your first view across the Plains.
Click on Image
This wall divides the Plains and the runway station so you can't get there until later.
Click on Image
"As far as I'm concerned, there's four seasons."
Click on Image
Parking lot and entrance to EA. I originally tried to build the whole EA from "building blocks", but once I learned to model, I decided it was kind of crappy. So this ruin is a testament to how far I came since this was one of the first areas I made. The main entrance is from that old Genetics Lab level that I can't remember the creator of. :P
Click on Image
A view from the top of the hill into Pine Valley. This is where things are REALLY unfinished.
Click on Image
Tar Pits blocking entrance to the Geothermal Plant, which is visible in the distance.
Click on Image
Here's part of the railroad, just to the west is the Hunter Camp.
Click on Image
The Summit Lift, it's only barely possible to actually get up here in game.
Click on Image
Some new melee weapons I made. I can't figure out how to get Anne to hold them correctly. Any help here? I plane on using them for RTJP. Left to right: Croquette Mallet, Cricket Bat, Golf Club, Shovel, Wood Axe, Fire Axe.
Click on Image
Here's all the dinosaurs I had so far. Both Raptor tribes, male, female and sleeping Triceratops, Albertosaurus, and three of seven Tyrannosaurs. All the skins are from third-parties, just ported to these Tres models.
Click on Image
Closer view of the Raptors. The JP3 Raptors would be Tribe A, TLW and JP are Tribe B and the Tres Raptors are Tribe C.
Click on Image
And here are the Rexes as well.
Click on Image
This beach is just off to the west of the starting beach. It was intended to be the JP3 rescue beach.
Click on Image
Overview of the Hotel construction site. I know the water looks weird here, but in-game it's all good.
Click on Image
Nice little area off the beaten track, no idea what happened here, but I thought it felt kind of "Trespasser-ish".
Click on Image
The Jungle Road construction shack, this is if you don't follow the creekbed.
Click on Image
Mayan Face / Jeep. I won't disclose its location, it's a secret to everybody. Heh heh.
Click on Image
The Sleeping Triceratops clearing. To the left is the "makeout rock" from the walkthrough.
Click on Image
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

These images are very inspiring. Thanks for posting these very cool pics.:)

Though, they make me a little sad...........
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

This is some beautiful stuff. And you seem well underway, the first levels seem very well done. Why did you decide to quit the project? I believe with the stuff you have learned over time you can finish this great project!
If you are not planning on finishing it, are you releasing the project files. So others can tool with it and maybe finish this great potential of a project?
tatu

Post by tatu »

This is too cool to be unfinised. If you want, I could take a look at try to import everything into new levels for you.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Blapeuh wrote:This is some beautiful stuff. And you seem well underway, the first levels seem very well done. Why did you decide to quit the project? I believe with the stuff you have learned over time you can finish this great project!
If you are not planning on finishing it, are you releasing the project files. So others can tool with it and maybe finish this great potential of a project?
Well, actually, everything is in a very, very unfinished state. There's no real puzzles or triggers yet. I ended up quitting because I wanted to go back to Return to Jurassic Park once I saw that hppav had released the VC model, plus I already had much more done on RTJP's old alpha level, which is now scrapped. I do plan on releasing what I have left of the Reborn resources - that includes the level files, text documents and a few other little things I had set up. Once I do, anybody is more than welcome to take it up. I'd love to see someone else do more work on it. :) I'd still be there to help if there was anything you guys needed, sort of in a consultant way.
tatu wrote:This is too cool to be unfinised. If you want, I could take a look at try to import everything into new levels for you.
Well, that'd actually be a huge help. It's only the one level, but it's the entire island. I'll see where I can upload it to and then, like I said, anybody who wants to can tinker with it...as long as I get to be a beta tester! :mrgreen:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, after much slacking around, I finally managed to get the "final" version of the level uploaded. Go ahead and check it out, it can be played with Trespasser Twilight. I think. Remember that you CANNOT RELOAD SAVED GAMES, LOOKING AROUND QUICKLY CAN CAUSE CRASHES, and THERE ARE MANY, MANY, MANY BUGS! Standard gameplay can usually get you to the town if you're clever enough. All of my custom assets can be used for your own levels as long as I'm credited - seeing as how most of the models are from JPDS you may want to credit them too. Enjoy, my fellow Trespassers. 8)

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9j83ch ... res_Reborn
tatu

Post by tatu »

Great! I will take a look at this and see what things I can do to reduce crashes etc ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Have just played through this level up to the bridge before the town, and explored the rest in TresEd. AWESOME!!!! :D It is super cool to see JPDS assets used in something new and in many areas more or less complete. Also nice to see a slightly more complete EA, heheh. I really liked the film/film-concept-art accuracy of the town, that's pretty awesome! One of the unrealized goals of JPDS. Too bad you didn't do the helicopter building and/or town geo plant. I feel this is in many ways superior to original Trespasser, in the areas where it is finished. I also want to congratulate you - AFAIK this is the first non-retail/beta Trespasser level (except those using the original levels as a basis) to use monorails. For some reason fan mods just don't make use of them. I thought you used the individual monorail pieces very skillfully and it makes me want to get back to work on JR Reloaded, where this has been planned to be done.

FYI, I played this level in Tres CE. I couldn't get across the bridge to the town, so I tried it in Twilight to see if I could fly across, and the level would not load. :? It's too bad this level crashes at some point, or I would strongly suggest that you finish it!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Have just played through this level up to the bridge before the town, and explored the rest in TresEd. AWESOME!!!! :D It is super cool to see JPDS assets used in something new and in many areas more or less complete.
Thank you! :mrgreen:
I ended up using the JPDS level as a base since I was too lazy to import everything one by one to a new level. Plus I thought JPDS was textured 100% perfectly.
Also nice to see a slightly more complete EA, heheh.
Yeah, it's quite something to actually be able to go down there and check it out. Though I think I prefer the JPDS layout a lot more. :wink:
I really liked the film/film-concept-art accuracy of the town, that's pretty awesome! One of the unrealized goals of JPDS. Too bad you didn't do the helicopter building and/or town geo plant.
The goal was to get it as close to what was see in the movie as possible, plus use the remainder of hppav's town models in the level. I planned to model every single building but never got around to it.
I feel this is in many ways superior to original Trespasser, in the areas where it is finished.
Thanks again. :D That was more or less my goal, to make it better than Tres while still being the same game.
I also want to congratulate you - AFAIK this is the first non-retail/beta Trespasser level (except those using the original levels as a basis) to use monorails. For some reason fan mods just don't make use of them. I thought you used the individual monorail pieces very skillfully and it makes me want to get back to work on JR Reloaded, where this has been planned to be done.
Did that monorail ever take forever to finish... :sick: There's so much detail you have to do on it, plus track placement is a huge pain in the arse. I'm glad it turned out though. Can't wait to see it in JR: Reloaded, maybe I can give you some tips or help if you return to it.
FYI, I played this level in Tres CE. I couldn't get across the bridge to the town, so I tried it in Twilight to see if I could fly across, and the level would not load. :? It's too bad this level crashes at some point, or I would strongly suggest that you finish it!
Hmm...that's odd. Well, to cross the bridge you have to grab the wooden plank lying in the gravel pile to the left of the road when facing the town and use it to bridge the gap, though it often ends up falling in. If you're skillful enough you can jump across the pillars in the river, though this tends to end poorly. :P I've never had trouble making it load before, and I'm playing at max settings in 1360x768 resolution. Huh. Well, hopefully you'll be able to check it out more once Tres CE gets the ATX functions. It's a ton of fun just running around and looking at stuff in Tres, plus the town has a lot of good stuff as well, like the new melee weapons (which don't work right but are still cool). 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Thank you! :mrgreen:
I ended up using the JPDS level as a base since I was too lazy to import everything one by one to a new level. Plus I thought JPDS was textured 100% perfectly.
Heh, I assume you mean JPDZ; that was the reason we released it, so others could use it as a base (or as an organizational preset for export/import). And thx - I thought the textures were largely an improvement over the originals from Tres. The brightness of the green in original Tres strikes me as inaccurate and definitely less scary and vivid. The new bark is mostly taken from photos of trees rather than being painted somehow.
The goal was to get it as close to what was see in the movie as possible, plus use the remainder of hppav's town models in the level. I planned to model every single building but never got around to it.
Uhhh, you had every building from the movie and more (from Sam alone). Don't you mean from the concept art? :)
Did that monorail ever take forever to finish... :sick: There's so much detail you have to do on it, plus track placement is a huge pain in the arse. I'm glad it turned out though. Can't wait to see it in JR: Reloaded, maybe I can give you some tips or help if you return to it.
Tatu is working on its foliage right now. I suspect I'll be working on its monorail sometime in the next month or so.
Hmm...that's odd. Well, to cross the bridge you have to grab the wooden plank lying in the gravel pile to the left of the road when facing the town and use it to bridge the gap, though it often ends up falling in. If you're skillful enough you can jump across the pillars in the river, though this tends to end poorly. :P
Huh, well I don't have time to try that out now... I'll probably just wait until CE has fly..
I've never had trouble making it load before, and I'm playing at max settings in 1360x768 resolution. Huh.
Eh, might have something to do with playing in software mode. Recall that in normal ATX Tres, hardware mode stinks for me, lol.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Heh, I assume you mean JPDZ; that was the reason we released it, so others could use it as a base (or as an organizational preset for export/import).
Yesh.
And thx - I thought the textures were largely an improvement over the originals from Tres. The brightness of the green in original Tres strikes me as inaccurate and definitely less scary and vivid. The new bark is mostly taken from photos of trees rather than being painted somehow.
It all came together very well, plus the general lighting really helped make it seem like a "dark" experience. I think the EA would've been rather scary, actually, depending on how you did it.
Uhhh, you had every building from the movie and more (from Sam alone). Don't you mean from the concept art? :)
From both the concept art and my own ideas. I wanted to do the helicopter building as well, but other than that it would've just been houses and maybe a power station of my own design. Maybe a cafe as well.
Tatu is working on its foliage right now. I suspect I'll be working on its monorail sometime in the next month or so.
Sweet. Keep us posted. PLEASE! :D I keep checking the Tres Reloaded thread hoping to see more...
Eh, might have something to do with playing in software mode. Recall that in normal ATX Tres, hardware mode stinks for me, lol.
Aaaaagh...you and your hardware mode. :D