Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Windows 8 Support?

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm. Didn't seem to work. 1) Can't actually see the available resolutions in my render menu, have to enter them manually. 2) Trespasser would automatically occupy the entire screen on my old computer, meaning the menu was stretched into widescreen. It seems even setting the resolution to a widescreen setting will not make the game play in widescreen... Apparently Tres rewrote the tpass.ini file from 848x480 to 800x600 upon starting up. This didn't happen to me in Windows XP, so I'm guessing that Windows 8.1 is detecting that it was designed as a full-screen game and confining it to that space. Rather unfortunate, though it would've proved useful if Big Red had never provided widescreen through ATX.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, I first used a hex editor to get widescreen before BigRed included the option in the next ATX release... you could do the same.
Remember, retail out-of-the-box Trespasser is limited to a maximum resolution of 800x600, there was a hack/patch needed to allow it to run at different reslutions (which was later incorporated into ATX when it was first released).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Check the ATXconfig, under "[Variables]". There you have:
"MatchAspectWithResolution=0
AspectRatio=0:0"

Might got something to do with it?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm thanks machf.

Oooo Tatu thanks, that might do something.

*checks*

Meh, nope. All that did was squish the image within fullscreen. :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Look for the "Trespasser Screen Size Tweak" here:
http://www.trescom.org/patches/

That will allow you to get resolutions higher than 800x600 if you aren't using ATX. No proper aspect ratio for widescreen, though. Maybe I'll take the time to write a similar patch that does that... it's just a matter of replacing the 1.333 value in the executable with the corresponding one for your screen (1.778 for a 16:9 one, like 1280*720, 1.6 for a 16:10 one, like 1280*800, 1.889 for a 17:9 one, 1.667 for a 5:3 one, etc.).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm. I am using ATX (Trespasser Twilight and other engines) so I don't think that will help. The problem isn't getting higher resolutions (my computer can't handle those well with Tres anyway), simply getting widescreen. I am prepared to settle with playing the game in widescreen; used to be that way anyhow. The persistence of my computer to squish the menu itself into fullscreen makes me doubt it is possible to fix without serious driver modifications.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... maybe ATX is only correcting the aspect ratio in hardware mode. I remember I didn't test it in software mode...
Anyone tried software mode in widescreen with any other OS?
tatu

Post by tatu »

The ini file resets for me too. And I think the problem is that the monitor doesn't support wide-screen in such low resolution. Not that Trespasser doesn't. That's why you can't force it, because Trespasser check to see if the resolution is supported by the monitor, if it's not, it change to the closest one.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf, just made sure by testing hardware mode widescreen - no go.

Tatu, I think you might just be right about that... I can imagine low res widescreen resolutions being a rarity for modern computers.