Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Antispam: No

Trespasser Windows 8 Support?

Post by 3insanity »

Hey guys I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 64bit and to my surprise found that the software was unable to run. When I run the installer it informs me that "This app cannot run on this PC". Any ideas?
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Trespasser Windows 8 Support?

Post by awesome24712 »

It being 64-bit might have something to do with it; even some games in the early 2000s that were 32-bit games used old windows 16-bit installers, which can't run on 64-bit systems. But if I recall, Trespasser had sort of its own unique installer.

Regardless, Trespasser is 13 years old now (it's 13th anniversary was just a few weeks ago I think), and if running in compatibility mode doesn't work then there isn't much that can be done.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Running the setup95 file itself can work sometimes when the autorun exe thing is crashing or not working.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I would like to express a very important apparent fact about Trespasser here, that it apparently does not work on Windows 8. Not my system, anyway. The framerate is almost unbearably slow and there is a bizarre error with anything under the horizon line not within rendered terrain being glitched to not refresh (displaying whatever renders there permanently, very ugly). Basically it's a disaster and I will probably never be able to work with Tres again. The editor seems to work fine but without the ability to test levels in reasonable framerate, it's just impractical. :\ This seems to foretell doom to all Trespasser modding in the years to come. I'm not that big a fan of Windows 8 anyway but it's what new computers come with so I think it's a sort of dead end. A fair warning to all Tres modders, keep your old PCs and laptops if you want to be able to mod Tres.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Draco's back? Where the hell have I been? Oh.... wait.... nevermind, I've been doing other stuff. Anyway, if it's any consolation, we could fix it since we technically have access to the Trespasser source code.... the trouble is..... er.... the code's kind of a mess if what Rexhunter99 has told me is true. This issue alone makes the code difficult to work with.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:the code's kind of a mess if what Rexhunter99 has told me is true.
Yup, it is...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

And even the devs say it's easier and better to write a new one from the scratch :P

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Glitch - good to see you. Btw, I have gotten Tres to work reasonably well since this post. Had to fiddle with a few settings. Still some glitches but it's very playable.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

tatu wrote:And even the devs say it's easier and better to write a new one from the scratch :P
The only drawback to doing that is that it would take a while to get the engine properly implemented. To make matters worse, this community hasn't been very organized in I don't know how long. It would take cooperation of Rexhunter99 and many others to get things up to shape. Rexhunter99 has enough issues of her own, so just having her work on it by herself wouldn't be very.....er.... good for her. She's stressed out with personal life and the Carnivores games' code as it is.

And before you ask why I'm referring to Rexhunter99 as a female, it's not really polite for me to share. She can tell you if she wants to, but that's up to her. Some of you may know already anyway.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Uh? I assume the "her" is a joke... I've seen photos of Rex, he's male as far as I can tell.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Uh? I assume the "her" is a joke... I've seen photos of Rex, he's male as far as I can tell.
Just because you're a male doesn't mean you can't be called her. There can be many reasons for it, and I don't think it's a joke, no.

rms
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by rms »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hey Glitch - good to see you. Btw, I have gotten Tres to work reasonably well since this post. Had to fiddle with a few settings. Still some glitches but it's very playable.
Can you share these settings? I'm on Win8-64 and would like to install the game again!
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

rms wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Hey Glitch - good to see you. Btw, I have gotten Tres to work reasonably well since this post. Had to fiddle with a few settings. Still some glitches but it's very playable.
Can you share these settings? I'm on Win8-64 and would like to install the game again!
Ditto, please share?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well alright, first off I use software mode. Not always going to work in fan levels but it looks very nice to me and was part of how I got it to be less laggy. I also use 640x480 resolution, Render Quality of 3, max texture dimension of 256 (128 can be used to help even more)... I think that's it. In my game the render settings menu is fraked up so I have to use the tpass.ini file, which works fine. Technically I had to go into the menu anyway to select the driver but that was relatively easy with the giant truck button.

Btw, does anyone know what the widescreen version of 640x480 is, and/or if ATX supports it?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Welll, it should be either 640x360 or 848x480. I think I've seen the latter on Trespasser's menu options when it's available.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files