Trespasser Gets Replayed At Game Informer!

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Trespasser Gets Replayed At Game Informer!

Post by Second Illiteration »

Still a fantastic game, to this very day. Still terrifying when a dino sneaks up on you
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

I wouldn't go that far. TresCom is mostly about people messing around with Trespasser in a creative way less about casual players. And I doubt people spoiled with nowaday dev-tools would touch something like Trespasser requiring a good deal of brain to not go insane (okay... some AAA dev-tools today are utter shit so there might be exceptions :D ).
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

Implying we aren't all a little crazy already ;)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Don't mind, I'm crazy myself so welcome to the club :lol:
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

I actually like how they play it without knowing anything (except for one guy). But some insider information would have made it better, much like a developer commentary. Sadly they don't appreciate the repeated textures :yum: . Hey this was 1998 guys! Stuff had to fit into 32 MB RAM. They don't seem to remember how Unreal or Half-Life looked...
ImageImage
But they noticed how great the sound is when they dropped a barrel down without knowing about this interactive foley system DreamWorks created for the game. That's a big honor for a 15 years old game. :yes:

And you just got to love "Did you think Spielberg had any idea THIS game existed ?" :mrgreen:

P.S.: thx Mickey for resizing the images. I didn't notice that button before.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun May 12, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resized Images with [rimg][/rimg]
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

mleise wrote:They don't seem to remember how Unreal or Half-Life looked...
Those if anything had repeated textures lol.
And you just got to love "Did you think Spielberg had any idea THIS game existed ?" :mrgreen:
This really show them that they don't have or got much information about the game, or even read much about it other than reviews probably, since they were a part of the game :lol:
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

tatu wrote:
mleise wrote:They don't seem to remember how Unreal or Half-Life looked...
Those if anything had repeated textures lol.
So true. Trespasser actually broke free of the repeated textures with a quite nifty system that even games nowadays don't have (MT doesn't count... it's a fucking mess and looks ugly as hell while consuming an entire CD for just one or two maps).
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

MT?
I think part of the repeating problem we still have today is that CPU to GPU calls are incredibly expensive and we batch them down into as few as possible... which means we have to repeat a few things, even Frostbite 2 which looks gorgeous suffers from the problem, atleast the team realised and managed to cover it up with scenery objects like buildings or trees.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

MT = MegaTexture. The idea had been to have a sort of 16k squared texture for the landscape to have a unique landscape without repeating.

Yeah, fixing repetition by placing random props is the typical solution for the problem. Learning from Trespasser would be though the better idea in the long run. I have my idea on how to mix in the clever Trespasser idea into my engine but I did not get around yet to implement it. The main problem is GPU RAM there which my current graphic card has only 512MB of and my physically based rendering eats up already 50MB of those just for that purpose. But for modern graphic cards with 2GB RAM upwards this should not be a problem. If the plan comes together this would be the texture system everybody dreams off :D
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Dragonlord wrote:MT = MegaTexture. The idea had been to have a sort of 16k squared texture for the landscape to have a unique landscape without repeating.

Yeah, fixing repetition by placing random props is the typical solution for the problem. Learning from Trespasser would be though the better idea in the long run. I have my idea on how to mix in the clever Trespasser idea into my engine but I did not get around yet to implement it. The main problem is GPU RAM there which my current graphic card has only 512MB of and my physically based rendering eats up already 50MB of those just for that purpose. But for modern graphic cards with 2GB RAM upwards this should not be a problem. If the plan comes together this would be the texture system everybody dreams off :D
Trespasser's texture splatting method would work really well with the 16+ texture units, I heard new cards have anywhere up to and beyond 128 units these days. Of course you could just bake them all into sector textures...
I'm having a lot of trouble with terrain atm DL, do you think you and I could discuss it a bit? I'm available on skype: james.ogden74 and would greatly appreciate your input on the matter.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

RexHunter99 wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:MT = MegaTexture. The idea had been to have a sort of 16k squared texture for the landscape to have a unique landscape without repeating.

Trespasser's texture splatting method would work really well with the 16+ texture units, I heard new cards have anywhere up to and beyond 128 units these days. Of course you could just bake them all into sector textures...
I'm having a lot of trouble with terrain atm DL, do you think you and I could discuss it a bit? I'm available on skype: james.ogden74 and would greatly appreciate your input on the matter.
That's incorrect I'm afraid. GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS can go up to 192 with the most recent cards but that's not the important value in the mix. Important is GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS and that one is with the most recent cards 32 tops. But there is a solution for the the system I have in mind. You have to not think in terms of individual textures but multidimensional textures. I call this all URT: Unlimited Resolution Textures. But I don't want to speak out loud about an unhatched egg yet. You know dragons don't like if you touch their unhatched eggs ;) .

Concerning Skype I don't use it and currently my time is scarce. Best would be to use good old email which I prefer any time over Skyp and company.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Watching that was painful.

They knew nothing about the game, but they knew it was terrible? Hmm.

This to me is a perfect example of why the internet is fucked. Douche bags like this are my pet hate. The type that look at pictures and shoot their mouths off without reading the accompanying text.

Obviously not to the same degree, but i get a bit if this ignorance on my blog. People look at pictures i post and start asking questions that were either answered in that very post, or a few posts earlier.

I track the hits on my blog to forums and often see the original post filled with untrue details about the project. "its using cryengine3!" "hes going to release everything before its finished!" "he has changed all the levels and removed entire sections".

One of these people contacted me once and actually tried to confirm a whole bunch of nonsense that he had posted. He asked me if i would release a playable version soon and i said no and he said that these kinds of projects never get finished, please release something. I told him that if the project ever got to a point where i somehow couldn't continue working on it, i would just release it as it was so the community could finish it. He interpreted that as confirmation that i would be releasing the map before the project is finished, and posted it on the forums. Go figure.

When i start uploading some videos for my project, i'd like to start with some videos that dispel the myths of Trespassers many bugs and general "unplayable" status. Watching that guy "try to aim" the weapons was so frustrating. People like that are starved for attention and feel the need to draw attention to themselves by exaggerating everything. He was probably well aware that picking up a weapon was a simple process and that there is no need to rotate the wrist and what not, but hamming it up makes it good viewing for the kids at home. "ewww.. This was games before ps3?!"

My videos wont be just to dispel myths, but to highlight why i think certain aspects of the original game are so important. Some people seem to think that remaking Trespasser simply means dinosaurs, tits, and isla sorna, so i want to point out what it is that makes Trespasser so unique.

I reckon some if the top TresCom guys should make a replay video that shows just how great the game is, and how easy it is to play when you take the 2 minutes it takes to learn.
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by TrespasserUniverse »

^ Couldn't of said it better myself.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

s13n1 wrote:I reckon some if the top TresCom guys should make a replay video that shows just how great the game is, and how easy it is to play when you take the 2 minutes it takes to learn.
I've made dozens of Trespasser videos on my channel :) http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome2471 ... &flow=grid
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

awesome24712 wrote: I've made dozens of Trespasser videos on my channel :) http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome2471 ... &flow=grid
I quite like your video's, your YT chan is a nice resource of everything Trespasser.

s13n1 wrote:I reckon some if the top TresCom guys should make a replay video that shows just how great the game is, and how easy it is to play when you take the 2 minutes it takes to learn.
That is why i gladly point every ignorant/unknowing person to the video's 'ResearchIndicates' made for the Something Awefull forums. I still think his video's are the apitimy of Let's Play's in general. With just the right ammount of history and background told while playing/exploring.