Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support for Trespasser [VR]

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

kohan69
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support for Trespasser [VR]

Post by kohan69 »

Oculus Rift is the latest and greatest Virtual Reality headset endorsed by John Carmack himself.

Razer hydra is what the wiimote should've been. 2 wands with pretty accurate full position tracking without the use of line of sight (kinect, cameras, etc)

Together, it's the VR future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IwxUD8N8E

Rift support:
atx patch already allows increased fov, the only thing that's needed is side-by-side image for stereoscopy with a distortion shader. That may be a problem since currently third party 'oculus hacks' only support directx9 shader, which will never be possible for trespasser, but a software for older games solution can be achieved.

Has anyone achieved 3D stereoscopy with trespasser before?

Hydra support:
Sixense motionpack creator software allows custom mapping for buttons and motions.
I searched for wiimote on this forum, but all links to previous projects were dead.
The major issue I encountered is Trespasser forced use of modifier keys for the rotations.

if a virtual joystick axis/keys could be mapped to separate actions, then those action could be performed simultaneously (such as move arm and rotate arm, think mouse to move scroll wheel to rotate)

Seeing how impressive the ATX patch is, I'm sure something like this is possible.
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support for Trespasser [VR]

Post by KillerBee256 »

Given how we have the source code now I think it's possible to code support for these. But for the moment they're still trying understand the code it will be a long time until the few coders on this can add to tes.
Fear the frog....
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

KillerBee256 wrote:Given how we have the source code now I think it's possible to code support for these. But for the moment they're still trying understand the code it will be a long time until the few coders on this can add to tes.
It's not that, we pretty much understand the source code enough to determine that it would be better and easier to rewrite the whole engine than mess with the old complicated code. And the programmers here on TresCom either don't want to take on all the work by themselves or are too occupied to do so, either with real things in life that actually matter or with dozens of other projects they have yet to finish. I know there's a lot of stuff I need to finish (not a programmer though).
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:it would be better and easier to rewrite the whole engine than mess with the old complicated code.
This is what the devs have told us to do for years too, even before the source :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Look if we had, say... 8 months between the, what? Three of us? I know a few people who might be interested in joining it if they had the right incentive, and if we were funded, I'm sure we could all pull together enough talent and resources to produce a demo or something, especially since DragonLord has already got his own engine up and running.
Chances of that happening are nil though, unless... We start a kickstarter project? We're not-for-profit so the kickstarter could use the funding to pay for us to take time off work and for the services we require to work on such a project and donaters/supporters could be rewarded with sneak peeks, alphas, betas, early content exclusives, etc. Since it's not a commercial job, we can't exactly offer exclusive game content...
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

awesome24712 wrote:
KillerBee256 wrote:Given how we have the source code now I think it's possible to code support for these. But for the moment they're still trying understand the code it will be a long time until the few coders on this can add to tes.
It's not that, we pretty much understand the source code enough to determine that it would be better and easier to rewrite the whole engine than mess with the old complicated code. And the programmers here on TresCom either don't want to take on all the work by themselves or are too occupied to do so, either with real things in life that actually matter or with dozens of other projects they have yet to finish. I know there's a lot of stuff I need to finish (not a programmer though).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0[/youtube]
Whatever it did, it did it all. We'd have to search through Trespasser's lines of code one by one...

"How many lines of code are there?"

'bout too many.

Rex, I wonder if you would be good enough to take the source code... and bring back that new level editor project you were working on...

(Probably be the more productive usage of the code at this point :lol: )
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
kohan69
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by kohan69 »

all im asking for is to map the controls to independent keys/joystick axis instead of modifiers so i can map the hydra controls 1:1 with it correctly

the hydra is very intuitive and rather easy to work with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpx0vEPa1I&t=40s

now for the rift, im just curious if side-by-side stereoscopy is even possible with the engine.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

lol Sam :yum:
RexHunter99 wrote:Look if we had, say... 8 months between the, what? Three of us? I know a few people who might be interested in joining it if they had the right incentive, and if we were funded, I'm sure we could all pull together enough talent and resources to produce a demo or something, especially since DragonLord has already got his own engine up and running.
Chances of that happening are nil though, unless... We start a kickstarter project? We're not-for-profit so the kickstarter could use the funding to pay for us to take time off work and for the services we require to work on such a project and donaters/supporters could be rewarded with sneak peeks, alphas, betas, early content exclusives, etc. Since it's not a commercial job, we can't exactly offer exclusive game content...
Hmmmm. I have a lot to learn about game programming first. But, I don't have to work for money anymore, so I have a lot of time. It's not ALL available but there is a lot of it. Just saying - I might be able to help in this area at some point. And my computer would definitely appreciate a new engine to play dinosaur games on.
Rast1234
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Rast1234 »

If someone is still interested at VRing Trespasser, here's an old thread on running the game in 3D.
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8371
@TheGuy uploaded a proof video with red-green 3D, so it seems possible to do side-by-side.