Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Universe Blog~

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:7. Take things slow, good Trespasser levels take weeks, if not months or even years.
JPDS took around 6 and a half years.
Even in the retail levels, there was not a lot of constructive puzzles to begin with. You just can't really DO that sort of thing in Trespasser.
Wrong! Both JPDS and the TC levels got quite complex puzzles. If you know how to use the scripts, you can make really great puzzles.

It's good that you start out basic however. Many fans start out with huge project without much (or any) experience in editing Trespasser, resulting in too huge projects and cancellation of them when an error occurs.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by TrespasserUniverse »

Thank you =3. And yes, I do plan to learn a lot more on scripting ^^.

But, I make these levels for the learning experience. I'm not attempting to go 'pro' with it, at least not at the moment =3. I learned so much from just these two level experiences, and I plan to continue on that path until I make something rather enjoyable for the Trescom public. But, that road's not going to be easy. It's not going to be easy AT ALL. But, being a digital artist myself, I've always went by a strict principle in my life. And that's to have fun with whatever you're interested in. Whether It's art, sports, or even a little Trespasser editor. Stressing over your flaws, or setbacks gets you nowhere. Enjoying what you create or do can really get you going in the right direction, if you believe c:.

So, that basically means I'll enjoy it. I care not if all of my level's are complete garbage. I'm proud of each little accomplishment I make for myself =3. Even as small as learning basic AI scripting. I still pat myself on the back for it. Cause like I said, in do time, I'll be better. And there's always enough time, and room for improvement.
But, considering that I never planned to create levels when I first created my blog, I think I'm doing fairly well with what I can manage as of far. And I love the support of all of you wonderful, nice people ^^.

On an additional note, I haven't uploaded anything 100% Trespasser related on my blog in a while. All I've been doing is messing with TresEd xP. So, I guess I'll work on getting some informal videos, and photos of this masterpiece of a game uploaded first before I go digging into TredEd again c;.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's the spirit!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

I got bored, and decided to render a semi-gigantic pine forest in Trespasser. I wanted to test Trespasser's engine with this, and now I have so much more respect for it. It just looks simply beautiful, despite a few floating trees and rocks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYRB_jqi ... detailpage[/youtube]
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Now, perhaps take a few things out here and there to make it stable, and that's a forest you want in a Trespasser level! (of course, though, you would have to make it somewhat linear) :)
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:Now, perhaps take a few things out here and there to make it stable, and that's a forest you want in a Trespasser level! (of course, though, you would have to make it somewhat linear) :)
Actually, you can easily have a lot of foliage in a level. The problem is that we've got to used to the draw distance option the ATX patch brings. Turning that to 0 makes you have a lot of more objects in an area (Trespasser: Reloaded - InGen Town got around 16000 objects in the town, and only in the town without crashes and lags).

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

tatu wrote:
awesome24712 wrote:Now, perhaps take a few things out here and there to make it stable, and that's a forest you want in a Trespasser level! (of course, though, you would have to make it somewhat linear) :)
Actually, you can easily have a lot of foliage in a level. The problem is that we've got to used to the draw distance option the ATX patch brings. Turning that to 0 makes you have a lot of more objects in an area (Trespasser: Reloaded - InGen Town got around 16000 objects in the town, and only in the town without crashes and lags).
Tatu's correct =3. When I set ATX's draw distance bar to more than half, the level crashes xD. If I go serious with this at some point, I'll have to keep a warning out for it ;).

The weird thing about forests though, is that even though the're mostly flat, It's entertaining to walk through em'. Place a few ambient forestry-noises around the vicinity, add some possible crashed jeeps and other ruins, and bam! You got yourself one hell of a forest!

Although, after still being a little bored last night, I decided to increase the size of it by x4 or so, and it still runs like a 'beaut! I know I said I didn't want to mess around with TresEd for a while, but I think this is also very strictly related to Trespasser in a way. I see this more of a test on just how much that 1998 engine can hold, and It's pretty damn impressive so far! I've fixed a lot of floating ojects (if not all of them), deleted some raptors that got mixed in with it (they may have been copied accidentally from the basement), and I plan to soon take awesome24712's advice on building a more environmental aspect in the 'level' by adding in voice recordings for Anne, a lot of nice ambient sounds, and hopefully make a few nice puzzles with scripting.

But, that's all just brainstorming atm.
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

Hmm. I'm having the little terrain texture issue again. Are there any step, by step tutorials on how to fix it?
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

1. In TresEd, export both the terrain texture you want to work and the base terrain texture, doesn't matter where to (as long as you can find them).

2. In Wally, open the non-monochrome .bmp for the texture you want to work correctly (there may be several of these).

3. Then, go to "Colors" and then "Load Palette," and proceed to select the .bmp of the base terrain texture, then click Okay. (You will have to do this for each image if you have multiple images)

4. Save the image(s). then import them into your level with GeomAdd.

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

awesome24712 wrote:1. In TresEd, export both the terrain texture you want to work and the base terrain texture, doesn't matter where to (as long as you can find them).

2. In Wally, open the non-monochrome .bmp for the texture you want to work correctly (there may be several of these).

3. Then, go to "Colors" and then "Load Palette," and proceed to select the .bmp of the base terrain texture, then click Okay. (You will have to do this for each image if you have multiple images)

4. Save the image(s). then import them into your level with GeomAdd.
Gotcha. But...what's Wally?
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

It's an image editor, and it's included in Trespasser Twilight:
http://www.trescom.org/files/Editing/Tr ... ght_v1.rar

I don't know where it can be downloaded separately, but you should get Trespasser Twilight anyways if you don't already have it.

Post benchamrks:
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

awesome24712 wrote:It's an image editor, and it's included in Trespasser Twilight:
http://www.trescom.org/files/Editing/Tr ... ght_v1.rar

I don't know where it can be downloaded separately, but you should get Trespasser Twilight anyways if you don't already have it.
Okie dokie ^^~
tatu

Post by tatu »

The Trespasser engine can handle a lot without lag. The AI (dinosaurs) are the most common reason why a level lag.

TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

tatu wrote:The Trespasser engine can handle a lot without lag. The AI (dinosaurs) are the most common reason why a level lag.
Yeah, I've noticed that as well =3.

Well, I fixed my issue an easier way. All I had to do was replace the base texture of the main PineTerrain with another of the same type in a different pine-based level, and bam! Gud as new!
TrespasserUniverse
Triceratops
Triceratops

A random picture of a rundown house/shack I put into the level-