How do I do a CD install on windows 7?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

How do I do a CD install on windows 7?

Post by KillerBee256 »

There seems to some kind of compatibility issue with windows 7 and the trespasser installer, i.e. it will not run when clicked on. Yet it will work when activated via auto-play, this makes copying the CD contents to drive and installing it simply not work. What's the work around for this?
Fear the frog....
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: How do I do a CD install on windows 7?

Post by RexHunter99 »

KillerBee256 wrote:There seems to some kind of compatibility issue with windows 7 and the trespasser installer, i.e. it will not run when clicked on. Yet it will work when activated via auto-play, this makes copying the CD contents to drive and installing it simply not work. What's the work around for this?
Works fine for me, and I'm running on the most troublesome of the Windows 7 systems, Windows 7 Home Premium x64
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

I just tried it again and I get the same message, "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program, and then contact the software's publisher." I have windows 7 professional x64, I'll try to play around with it and see if I can get the installer to run with out autoplay.
Edit I'm a moron, I used setup95 in the setup folder and it worked, never mind.
Fear the frog....
lardman
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by lardman »

Worked for me too on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I do know of an installer problem, which might be related - 16bit mode installers (and perhaps all code, I don't know) are no longer supported on 64bit Windows 7. Apparently at least some installers remained 16bit even after the advent of 32bit Operating Systems. It may be that the autorun executable is one of these executables, but that the main setup executable runs in 32bit mode. I certainly installed the game but don't remember whether I used autorun, have a dig around for a setup.exe or similarly named file.

Ah I missed your edit, anyway the above is probably the explanation of why the problem occurred for you
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

There's always ways around dem 16-bit programs. :)
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
jamesblonde001
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by jamesblonde001 »

awesome24712 wrote:There's always ways around dem 16-bit programs. :)
Good news for everyone running 64 bit Windows and wanting to play.

I browsed around the CD and found the this file setup\setup95.exe

It runs the installer like it did on my Windows 2000 system 10 years ago. PERFECT!

The game launches and runs fine! Whoo hoo! I can introduce my son to Anne.

Happy Trespassing!
"I dream for a living." - Steven Spielberg
Rocker
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Rocker »

Do you guys think starting Trespasser by running the setup95.exe will work the same with Windows 8? The thread here sort of came to the conclusion that 64-bit software may be a problem, but the setup95 may still work. I'm planning to buy a laptop PC for study purposes and casual gaming, and Trespasser is among the games I really wish to play again soon. Downgrading is of course always an option, but as a long-time Mac user getting anything else than Windows 8 at this point is quite difficult. I'm kind of worried it won't work at all in its prime, with mods and all :cry:

EDIT: Didn't notice there'd been close to a year between the last two posts. Sorry if I accidentally posted on a dead topic!
"This isn't a joke, you idiot! We we're just attacked by a big-ass lizard!"
-Regina, Dino Crisis
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

We aren't like those sites that get all uppity and threaten bans when people resurrect old threads while at the same time demanding people to not make new threads if old threads on the topic exist :P I hate it when boards have those rules because it stifles discussion and I would never let our team do that. We just ask that you add something to the discussion, which you did 8)

Anyway, I haven't had much experience with Windows 8 ... What little time I had with it at the display, the only thing that impressed me was the speed. Comparing the speed of 8 to 7 is like comparing 7 to Vista. The rest of it, like the new interface and such, I didn't care for but there are now ways (in 8.1) to modify it to look more like Windows 7. Windows 8 also has a completely new kernel, from what I've read, so it probably will act differently to newer software. But it still has the ability to run programs under compatibility mode for older versions of Windows, so it might work. I don't know if there are many people here that use Windows 8 that can give us a definitive answer, but I would guess it should still work.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos