Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

AlphaChaosRaptor
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Re: Jurassic Time- Version 2.0!

Post by AlphaChaosRaptor »

I don't disagree about how it should've been done, but that wasn't my call there. I just know the what and the why. I haven't even checked the FTP in a while, so I don't know about the data being deleted entirely, but I do keep backups of everything on it in the event anything happens. It was more a sequence of events coupled with what, if I didn't know any better, I'd call unfortunate timing, but I don't know that. The comments were not a security issue in themselves, but with BrachioIngen trying to find a way back into the community, Lance attempting to harass us both again, and this Facebook incident happening in short order, I can see where Ty took it as a sign of something going on and didn't want to take any chances due to their association, especially with Lance, if not Bernard, being a security threat to JPL. The truth is, I don't know scallenger personally, and he seems different now. I don't know what he would or wouldn't do, so I have no basis with which I can go to Ty and tell him he's being paranoid about the situation. Maybe it is overly cautious, but losing the FTP was something I know he wasn't willing to risk, and neither would I. The matter now, I guess, would be saying that it probably could've been handled a little better and checking into the possibility of restoring the data for a while, if Ty's up to it.

I was hoping you were just being general about the community, really. I've spent the past two years trying to rebuild JPL's reputation, and the last thing I want is to go back to square one again over some comment that got carried too far. JPDb just sort of did what we thought it would, which is why we left. I think all of the other sites I used to visit and admin boards for are now gone. Dan's I believe is still around. JPL isn't going to be swallowing up sites, though. I won't have that. I don't think the community can stand anymore of that, either, or any other major conflicts. It's fractured far too much as it stands, and many oldbies have moved on because of it.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I'd just be happy if the "Trespasser Custom Maps" topic was deleted, and then I'll edit the original Let's Play topic myself to suit my needs. :| Thank you for your cooperation.

Not so much that I'm worried that my topics getting locked, but its not a Trespasser forum (like this one) so I can't just spam topics for each new video series I do (Probably do that too much here, also).
hppav wrote:People need to learn some serious tolerance.

Never really go onto Facebook or Twitter, don't have the time.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Tyrannosaur
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Tyrannosaur »

I do feel Scallenger's work is important to the community. I am not above reason and to be fair, I will upload the material for scallenger again and grant him the appropriate credentials to make a backup copy. It will be uploaded after I've performed security scans on it and determined there is no threat to JPL's server at all in the slightest. I believe this is reasonable to make. I do have several conditions, that are also reasonable as well: Scallenger will have 2 weeks (more than generous) to back the information up and get it hosted elsewhere so there is no potential for conflict again. His work is vital to the Trespasser community, I would hate for it to be offline permanently. Understanding that, if needed, I will grant an extension at a behest of formal request forwarded to AlphaChaosRaptor or myself for extenuating circumstances. I must stress, no further uploads to the server will be made, nor modifications once this is checked and uploaded though.
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

*shakes head*

I understand why me voicing my opinion of how the place was run would give cause to desire to remove me from the server. I get it, really. Although honestly, I am sure you guys have seen comments like mine ALL over the place about JPL. Should you be banning forum members for seeing them do this, too? The facebook thing, unfortunately, is VERY hilarious. It's the nicest word I can use. As other members here have noted, it is a bit outrageous that just because I deleted someone from my Facebook means that you should jump to the kind of conclusions you guys have jumped too. If you really must know, Bernard is a close friend of mine, and heard some bad things about TJ sort of harassing Bernard in other non-JPL communities basically giving him a blacklist everywhere he goes. I understand if you dislike someone and never want them back on your own site, but don't go ruining their passion for something on someone else's. That is extremely bad form, and I don't care how noble you think it may be. Second of all, since TJ and I were never very close or talkative on FB anyway, I did not see any harm in deleting him. It's that simple. I honestly find it a bit offensive that by merely deleting a friend from facebook and by merely knowing Bernard that it would cause for immediate removal of all my files from the site. You honestly thought think that I have nothing better to do than to plot ways to cripple JPL with Bernard? For being a friend on my facebook, you certainly did not know me very well at all, then. I work a lot. I'm depressed a lot with my relationship. I have other hobbies I'm interested in, including my own novel work I'm still trying to do. What on Earth would lead you to believe I would be even remotely interested in doing something I have now clearly been accused of and even gotten rid of without any warning based on what you really SHOULD know about me from the very thing you got "alarmed" by? This is incredibly silly.

If my work was important to you, it wouldn't have been deleted in the first place without some kind of warning. What if you had no backup, and neither did I? Do you have any idea how infuriated I would be right now? Luckily I'm not THAT stupid. For this very reason. And thanks for the offer of me returning, but no thanks. I'm not going to have some security lockdown on my stuff when there is absolutely no reason for it, and to be treated like some kind of foreign criminal. I see now that it was a mistake to begin with, and all of my files will remain on TresCom where they rightfully and respectively belong.

As for me contacting directly with this issuing first instead of "dancing around about it", perhaps you guys should have given me the respect by doing the same first? Did you even think of that?

In defense of Bernard, which I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on, Bernard didn't install an ilelgal forum. Jack did at the understanding and knowledge of everyone on the board. You guys spent months trying to save up money to pay for the liscence but no one could afford it. Just thought I'd at least throw that out there since it was brought up.

For the record: I haven't changed much at all. Everyone here can stand by that. But it seems clear that JPL has gotten to your heads. It's a big Jurassic Park site. Yes. But please, this treating it like it is some amazing shrine of immense power is really, really starting to make me ill. It's just a site. It's a good site, yes. But it could be better. Any site could. And you guys are treating it like it's some FBI website that has some deadly important information that could destroy the world.

Sorry, I may be getting out of line. But it's outrageous when something that has been done out of something so childish results in me being talked down to like some kind of child for something that is blown way out or proportion. Let me make this clear to everybody now:

I do NOT care any longer about any issues involving JPLEGACY from either side. I think that everyone should just leave each other the fuck alone.

End of discussion. I will not respond to anyone else about this. That includes these "representatives" from JPL.

And with that, I will now upload my "important work" to the people that really did honestly care about it all along. I'm sorry for this pointless drama. It won't happen again.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Admin Protip: Do not ever act without giving proper warning. EVER.

I've been an admin here for years, we always inform people when they are pushing the boundaries and need to cool off before we take any action. We only act if they persist. You aren't supposed to let raw emotion make your decisions for you... Take a moment to think and open a line of communication with the person who you feel is acting wrong.

And also - just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are a threat to the site... Criticism is good because it lets you know where you can look into changing. It only gets bad if you fail to address it, even if you just say you can't do what they think you should do and give the reasons.

If I acted against people for disagreeing with me or disagreeing with the way this site was ran, then there would be no one left. The only time a person disagreeing with how this site turned into a problem was when his concerns weren't properly addressed when they initially came up and they festered into a horrible disdain for the admins... then I made the mistake of making them an admin because I trusted them at the time and they took advantage of me for it.

Perhaps you should consider this when you act in the future against dissent, it may be more profitable for you to address your critics rather than attack them, as you did to Scallenger. It's how we've remained an extremely friendly community over the years and it may be better for you in the long run.

Drama is a waste of time in a forum and a distraction from what brings us to these sites in the first place, so I will highly suggest that you guys try to keep it to a minimum here if you must continue it.

And Scall, please refrain from the F-Bomb... It's a word that's always destructive and we already hold our regular members to the standard of using it. :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

I didn't want to stoke the fire here, but it's been an itch I couldn't quite scratch since.
Being an admin here and on The Carnivores Saga and also being a representative for the entire Carnivores fan community to the developers I have learned a little maturity in a small frame of time and from what I have read, what the JPL Admin(s) have done is utterly ridiculous in terms of site/forum management and presentation of a community. Also, deleting Scallenger's intellectual property without any warning at all is rude and incredibly inconsiderate, if I were to suddenly go and remove mods from my database without warning, the Carnivores community would be at a loss for words, it's just not on, seriously.

From what I have heard over the years, JPL is a big community, but the people who run it and represent it are rather out of line and have large egos. Infact it reminds me of the short period of time I spent on JPdb where I was abused but staff members.

@Scall
I really love your work man and I know the rest of the admins here will be delighted to put up permanent hosting for your work, really it's an honour to get it and have you share it with us at all.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Thanks Rexhunter for your kind words on my work. :) I may not have churned out as much stuff over the years or ever any levels (my computer knowledge of game editing and etc. is lightyears under probably anyone else's that are here) but I always tried to give you guys some interesting companion pieces, like Jurassic Time. I'm always glad to hear any praise (or even criticism, which I've actually used) for it here. When I do upload the files again (I'm really hoping this week... I first have to do something emotionally horrid in my real life first...) expect there to be at least a few new things on the Timeline site, too. I already have some content made I have just been meaning to put up.

And hppav... I don't like to use the f-bomb here, but sometimes it is a necessary evil in order to make a point across in this day and age. But if anyone finds it too highly offensive in my one context, please do remove it. I however think it works rather poetically. :yum:
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

I don't understand why facebook would have to do with anything, nor why any of the things listed can be taken as a security threat. But that being said: The JPL Team should have the right to manage the forum by their own rules and it isn't up to us to judge - so why argue?

Is it just me, or is that another "emotionally loaded" topic, just waiting to spawn a noob-war?
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Well, I said what I did just so JPL can avoid a situation like this from happening again. I will ask my fellow admins to stick their heads in the freezer until their emotions cool down enough that they can communicate without using tense language. If I've learned anything in the past, it's that being emotional makes these situations worse than they need to be. It's hard to defuse emotional responses with text.
AlphaChaosRaptor
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AlphaChaosRaptor »

It wasn't just that you were voicing your opinion, scallenger. If you had come to me, I would've helped you, or at least tried to get this straightened out in spite of the insults directed at us. It would've been that easy. I go through the same stuff with the depression and everything else, so it's not like I don't empathize with not wanting added drama. I'd rather not even be having this discussion, but I have no good choices here when something like this happens and I get demonized even though I've had little to do with it. It's happened too often, and I'm tired of being beat up on because some person gets himself banned or some other thing, and then stirs up the pot on the rest of the web, most often with lies and half-truths to get people riled up about how evil JPL is. That's where a lot of those rumors like RexHunter99 mentioned come from, if not because some mod didn't do their job properly, in which case I do get onto them if they do something untoward. If you want to be Bernard's friend, that's your thing, but I can't abide by having my name dragged through the mud like this. I said something, because I knew if Ty did he'd get overly emotional about it and make things worse, and I don't want that kind of ill will going around tearing the community apart like in years past. I can't turn back the clock on this, but it is Ty's investment and to a degree mine as well, even if you feel this was wrong. We just didn't know where you stood, and I don't consider either side entirely innocent on this, because communication works both ways. I actually think it's good that your files get uploaded to TresCom, even if only for the fact that JPL shouldn't be the only place to go in the JP community. I don't hold that against you, and I convinced Ty to offer restoring hosting while you transfer, because I felt hppav had a point.

As for Bernard being blacklisted, nobody's following him. One page was misleadingly labelled with our site's name with Ty as an admin beforehand, and the other was pokesaurus' page, as I recall, and he made the call on that one, not us. What Bernard did on JPL was beyond wrong, and it psychologically damaged both Ty and myself. His actions turned my best friend against me as well as a girl I cared very deeply for. It has affected my ability to trust anyone to this very day, and that's not ok by any measure. If Bernard wants to be in the community, then he should make up his own place to go or join someplace that's not in any way related to us, rather than coming to where we have admin access or using other people to come after us like this. I'm not going to follow him around, and neither is Ty. I shouldn't have to feel the need to lock down my personal Facebook page, where I keep very personal information like my family name, just because Lance decides to stalk me there when the only JP related thing I'm associated with there is being friends with Ty and the JPL page itself, which I rarely mess with. I don't just freely hand out links to my Facebook page, so this was very uninvited and a breach of my personal security. My page is my little place to freely express my thoughts, or talk to people I know, and I leave the rest of Facebook alone, so there is no excuse for being tracked down like this whatsoever. It's intimidation, and I'm on the edge of getting LEOs involved because of it. That's my personal safety, my family's safety, and my friends' safety at stake, and Ty's already been threatened directly again with hacking, ddos'ing, and physical violence.

Now, here's the deal with the illegal board license. Jack actually installed it, but it was Bernard that condoned it while he was in charge, thus I consider him ultimately responsible for it as well as Jack. That's how accountability and responsibility works. He knew about it, he had the power to stop it, but he allowed it, and that makes him just as guilty. I put it the other way for brevity. Not only that, but this had nothing to do with money and everything to do with stripping Carcharodontosaurus' claim to the board license when Bernard pushed Ty to get rid of her, because the board license was hers and nobody should have been screwing with it to begin with. Jack and Bernard got paranoid that she'd pull the board license and leave the site without a forum because they didn't like her and wanted her gone, so they erased the license number from the config file. Ty has some culpability in this, too, but he was maneuvered into it.

I'll even freely admit that Ty's ego gets a little too big sometimes, and maybe he does need to learn that he's not the supreme commander of everything from time to time, but that's no reason for the kind of drama that's cropping up now. Teaching him a lesson and soiling his name isn't going to make him a better person. Ty shouldn't be in charge of everything JP, but no one person should be. Not him, me, Bernard, or anybody should have control over everything, neither directly, nor by proxy. This community doesn't need a leader to pull us into a golden age. It needs a community. As for my ego, maybe I do have a bit of one with JPL, but I don't go trotting around everywhere expecting to be treated like a king. That's just not who I am. Here, I'm just a guy with a copy of Trespasser and something to say, and that's all I want to be. I only ask for the same respect due to any poster. In fact, sometimes I take the honest opinions here of what's going on with JPL to figure out what needs fixing there, and I don't want anyone thinking I want to try to stop that. I prefer it this way and appreciate it, because I'd rather know the truth. I don't come here to specifically spy or rep JPL, I came here to be a part of TresCom (which I've wanted to do for many years) and eventually work on my modding stuff whenever I get my affairs in order, but that's a little difficult if people don't want to talk to me because I'm said to be so evil I come complete with a handlebar mustache. The biggest problem I see here is a complete breakdown in communication between individuals and the community as a whole, as well as out of control anger. Tiffs like these only cause the community to suffer while the egos battle it out to see who wins, and it has killed many JP sites already.

If the admins here want to put an end to this, just say the word, because madppiper is right, this is an emotionally loaded topic, even for me. I tried to avoid being inflammatory as much as I could with this, but I don't know if that's good enough here as I get the feeling this will get an emotional response regardless. I just felt this needed to be said because I feel my viewpoint should be out there to address a few things, and I'm tired of our side of these issues being in the shadows for people to assume things. Also, I just want to clarify this wasn't about the forum primarily, but access to the File Transfer Protocol, which grants access to the server's files for the site, board, basically everything.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I personally feel that everything that could be said has been said at this point. It would probably be a good idea of all of those involved take a step back and calm down.

Let's go over what we learned from this:

The incident with Bernard, while unfortunate, is between the admins of JPL and Bernard. Scall shouldn't have tied himself in with Bernard and placed himself in this situation. I'm sure he didn't see the potential consequences of this, and didn't intend to be seen as a potential threat to the site.

The admins of JPL also learned that it's best to not do something as drastic as deleting someone's content from their servers without first warning the user that they intend to do so. Especially on mere suspicions of dissent.

It's really easy to be manipulated on the internet due to the lack of face to face communication. This is something I learned quite personally in an incident here at TresCom a few years back and it something that I think both sides either have learned or should learn.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

AlphaChaosRaptor wrote:Also, I just want to clarify this wasn't about the forum primarily, but access to the File Transfer Protocol, which grants access to the server's files for the site, board, basically everything.
Hmmm... just wondering, does your server allow you to create personal FTP accounts that are tied to a single folder/directory and don't allow access outside of it? Because that would take care of that issue...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tyrannosaur
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Tyrannosaur »

machf wrote:
AlphaChaosRaptor wrote:Also, I just want to clarify this wasn't about the forum primarily, but access to the File Transfer Protocol, which grants access to the server's files for the site, board, basically everything.
Hmmm... just wondering, does your server allow you to create personal FTP accounts that are tied to a single folder/directory and don't allow access outside of it? Because that would take care of that issue...
It does, but with the threats that Bernard's boyfriend Lance had made about hacking the server and not knowing his full capabilities I really was trying to protect against any risk any holes could be found or exploited by the possibility of scallenger uploading anything instructed by Lance or what have you. I don't even know scallenger's full technical capabilities either to be entirely honest so there's again that unknown element. In addition, my own security knowledge may be out of date with some of the advances in technology within the last couple years as I don't avidly follow it in the capacity as I used to. I am changing from being an IT to pursuing my B.S. degrees in Geology and Biology both or at least minoring in Biology to go into paleontology. Most of my research time is devoted to that nowadays.

I originally considered just cutting the FTP and sending a message to scallenger about it, but after seeing scallenger promoted to administrator on the Jurassic Park Library Chat group on Facebook I got paranoid and convinced myself that a more drastic action was required. For such a leap in rank on a site he had no position with prior I felt looked suspicious and implied something. In essence I was afraid of something was uploaded already it could be used against the site with or without the FTP. There were reports, a couple years back, of some software that could do that. A hacker friend I had told me about it, and I just took his word for it existing out there somewhere.

My concern really was to protect my work from possible vandalism and I knew the possibility of ruffling a few tail feathers, but knowing that and the fear of any possible breach lead to my decision that I accept in making. Yes I have backups, but I significantly lack the time due to undo a mess also. I would like to point out, if Lance had never made that threat to begin with and given scallenger's connection with BrachioInGen, I doubt I would have even thought twice about all this. So that's what caused the suspicion of this to raise as exponentially as it did and my own paranoia. JPL is an investment for me with the time, money, and energy I've expended in the creation of the site.

I can be petty on occasion when I let my anger get the best of me, but I am not as petty to let a little thing like unfriending me on Facebook eat me like that. I unfollow/unfriend a lot of people myself either because I don't like their posts, they're creepers, trolls, or they are just trying to up their friend counts to cover for something I think they're lacking. I admit, what I did wasn't exactly the best decision now in hindsight, but it was the most informed one at the time I could make given the information I had. I do hold myself accountable for it going as far as it did and I do regret that it has escalated as far as it has even to TresCom here. I hope we can put this all behind us though. As said I would be more than happy to re-upload the information, once it checks out (which I'm sure it will), so he can retrieve it. My conditions of no modifications to the files on the server though does still apply. I would urge scallenger to take the initiative to message me on JPL so he can get his information if he doesn't have a recent backup, e-mail, or work something out with me via PM here. I did save everything on the chance that I was over-reacting in regards to this, which it would seem that I was to an extent.

I feel the need to stress this as well too since it's a repeat problem for me that keeps coming up. I see a lot of resentment towards my site and even towards me. I never asked to be the so-called "god-emperor-king" of Jurassic Park that people have opted and often choose to paint me in a picture as. I do know the reasons for it though and I know how it looks, so it's not like it's unwarranted.

First off, during InGenNET I attempted to lead the community through a dark time as a leader was actually needed for the people there as Neo_Maze left. People placed me as a figurehead at this time due to my capability to lead (not always effectively I might add). After the issues moved over to JPDb I did disappear because I felt the community no longer needed me and I was content with that after I cooled down. I continued, in private, working on the encyclopedia that at that stage was mostly for myself. I was convinced by many that the encyclopedia was too important of a resource to not be accessible by the community. This came from family, friends and acquaintances both online and offline that I used to chat with regularly and a few that would find my info on JPDb and reach out for help on their fan fictions. I made the big decision to bring it back and gear it to be more collaborative, which is what was needed to promote the feeling of community and for a while I was successful. There was a lot of hard work and dedication placed into analysis from members like DVRex. That again unfortunately thrusted me back into another leader role that I did assume because it was on my personal time. To be honest, I am just a guy that knows the Jurassic Park media because I took the time to research it because I love it. I do not expect people to bow to me because of what I have acquired in my collaborations, associations or even liaisons elsewhere due to JPLegacy. I do expect to be respected as any individual would because that's just common courtesy and I do try to practice that myself, but I will not waste kindness on people that opt to hurt me or the people I care about. In the end, I'm still a member and a forum poster like yourself and I may sometimes do really stupid things, but my passion and my heart is in the right place here. I know my stuff, yes, but I don't ask for people's worship and never wanted it.

When I commit to something I give it my all, I choose to dedicate myself to it in the end and this is only extended to my projects, academic work, JPL, and the encyclopedia. It's not my goal to dictate, be popular, or play god with your fandom or what you think should be canon, my goal is purely academic. If people do crappy things you can bet you'll see me stand up when I see something wrong. That's not why I am here though. I am here because I want to provide an information resource that can be utilized by everybody, but unfortunately it was corrupted by fan want and idle speculation. I have a standpoint on official canon and personal canon (fanon), and personal canon doesn't touch the encyclopedia because it's a wish list and not supported. Certain forms of inferences (from evidence) do make it into the encyclopedia merely for the benefit of connecting elements when required. (e.g., evidence of version numbers in the film universe). If that cannot be seen then I am afraid somehow my message was lost along the way then and I am sorry someone misinformed you of this. I feel this was lost due to Bernard's efforts earlier with adding in his own speculation and fan theories to things often times behind my back (e.g., Rhamphrynchid DNA in the Pteranodons from JP3 if people remember that unsupported thing). In addition to him bludgeoning to death anybody that disagreed with these ideas along with some of the moderation staff of his regime that clubbed people over the head with their staff authority, which also has been dealt with if you noticed our turn over rate and the spike there. I also freely admit I do provide my knowledge if a topic of interest comes up and people are welcome to disagree with me in it. I do get involved in heated debates when people do blatantly disregard factual evidence I cite, but this is usually when people try to argue unsupported information and portray it as fact (fan theory). There were also the occasional trolls that would point out things that simply couldn't be answered by the encyclopedia (contradictions of the Nublar map in the first film) and some of these heated debates where I would act like a jerk would result in that as well. To be honest this analogy goes towards watching a creationist get into it with a scientist. Anyone ever see those debates? Those get pretty heated and the people on stage both look like they're going to murder one another by throwing the other in the trunk when it's said and done. I accept the accountability of my behavior on that part, yes and I do get heated. A natural reaction that doesn't mean I outright hate the other when I'm done with it though or am telling them what to think. I'm defending the information I found and explaining it (sometimes overly much like I am probably doing with this post).

So I do have a showmanship about my efforts with the encyclopedia and yes it does generate the sense I have an ego (sometimes huge) and for that I also regret because that was never my intent. As I said, I've spent 12 years working on the details, doing a combination of digital archeaology/paleontology, going through blury screen captures, reading bad comics, listening to commentaries, documentaries, and etc. to deliver all this information into a convenient and accessible format for the masses. I've lost days at a time making the maps that are on JPL, not ate and not slept because I've been so busy. I know the material and so do a lot of people as a result due to this method of outreach. I would welcome additional help, but I am careful about it due to people using it for personal and political gain with the site and myself in the past. The encyclopedia isn't an exclusive club, but I do take precautions over it and rightfully so because of what others have chosen to do with it when I turn my back.

We've all grown up on JP, I'm just enthusiastic about it, but I freely admit I do not know everything and I have been wrong often as any scientist is with his or her own theories or experiments about some of the stuff even I felt was true with Jurassic Park. It's a science and we need to treat the research and archival efforts like an academic affair. All I ever wanted to do is work on the encyclopedia, relate the dinosaurs to modern paleontology to reconcile some the harsh opinions the dinosaurs seen in the films of some of these armchair paleontologist types (Brian Switek for example from Dinosaur Tracking has a very negative view), provide a resource information base for the media pertaining to Jurassic Park, create a community platform with people focused on the acquisition of knowledge, to be able to define and conceptualize the canon in an academic format that is evidenced from the intentions of Michael Crichton, Steven Spielberg, and Joe Johnston. What JPL's purpose was, in addition to the encyclopedia was to promote a positive community outreach through fan fiction, fan art, cosplay, and convention attendance.

If you want to laugh, say I'm lying or being untruthful, well that's your choice and well I respect your opinion even though you're hearing it straight from the horse's mouth. It'd be like doubting Tony Stark for saying he was Iron Man. :P For those that have had a negative experience with the site, I have never received a PM one or e-mail with you addressing the concerns you may have. I have tried to make it apparent if there are problems that people can reach out. My inbox is always open and I've had the same e-mail for the last several years. I may not get back right away, but I do address the issues with the staff when I receive the e-mail. We also do have an internal affairs department for this reason that takes every complaint seriously and confidential (pr@jplegacy.org). It works like an open-door policy to an extent. If I have wronged or slighted you Rexhunter and Awesome, please accept this as an apology and please reach out to us so we can work this out and make it right.

I'm not perfect, I never said nor attested to the fact I was perfect. Everybody makes mistakes and some of the mistakes I've made are some of the biggest mistakes, but you know what I do? I try to learn from it and make myself a better person for it. So if people do want to continue hating me, JPL, or the hard work, time, energy, and money (that I don't have often frankly) into JPL and not appreciate it - again your choice. Running a website is not as easy as it looks though and please understand that at least.

I hope we can put this situation behind us now. With that, I would like to say this topic is coming to an end and Happv is very right. Happv is also very correct about the Internet and it's why I myself stay where I do if I can help it, heh.
Last edited by Tyrannosaur on Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

I'm not even reading these new posts. I just saw these big blocks of text and it's all pointless. There is nothing more to be said past what you already did and what I already did. Please stay on topic with the content of this thread, everybody.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

scallenger wrote:I'm not even reading these new posts. I just saw these big blocks of text and it's all pointless.
Tyrannosaur: Here's why I did what I did and here's my entire view because I hope you can understand me and we can reach some common ground and end up on good terms.

Scall: TL;DR.

Yeah, that's going to go well there Scall...
scallenger wrote:There is nothing more to be said past what you already did and what I already did.
I hear an echo in here. :P
scallenger wrote:Please stay on topic with the content of this thread, everybody.
I doubt people are going to pay attention to this part of your post... Historically on TresCom when people say to stay on topic that results in a counter argument that the conversation has evolved beyond the original topic. Or even usage of an "Arg, this thread has been hijacked" smiley :P :pirate: