SilverKnight's Trespasser Remake: Source Engine

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

killergame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

SilverKnight's Trespasser Remake: Source Engine

Post by killergame »

Hello there folks, i have been a member here for many years, lurking and posting whenever i was taken back to the jurassic world and game we call trespasser. I decided a few weeks ago to do something with my modding abilities and that was to do a reimagined trespasser with narrative, i decided to start with the beach level. My aim is to recreate trespasser in source.

I am looking for modellers\porters to contribute to the assets i currently have for the source engine. I have a few people such as thekritter who has helped port some things over already.

What you see below is part of the development process. These are early pictures in the scheme of things they are just early reference pictures.

I started out right on the beach, i gathered that the orginal trespasser beach was rather small but was unlikely to have enabled Anne and part of the plane to be washed ashore in such a tight space so i made it somewhat wider.
Spoiler: show
Around 5 minutes work:
Around 20 minutes work:
About an hour's work:
I slowly moved away from the beach, i did the rock hop that anne does but decided in a sloped decent instead of just an overall hill to go up and over to the construction site.
Moving on i went to work on the construction site. I always thought the foundations were abit too blocky, well after all they were just a square with a texture so i gave it more form.
After this i considered adding more detail, if it was a construction site, surely there would be supports, scaffholding, old construction equipment that ingen could not salvage and take back with them.
Here the arrows indicate a path in which the player can jump to reach the other platforms.
Next up came the road, a dirt trail to the training ground but first it would have to pass near the other construction area.
Then i got to the training area, putting down the other foundations around the construction site.
Adding more detail, the "push" doors.
Playing with the water texture on the beach to be more tranquil.
The path leading down to where the site b sign is.
A palm tree from trespasser in source. It's low-poly nature looks alright far away but too close and it's rather off-putting.
Tools of the trade.
Last edited by killergame on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: SilverKnight's Trespasser Remake: Source Engine

Post by TheKritter71 »

I'm working on a few things, hppav's town will be ported into source (not the whole town just a few buildings from his level). I'll port main objects like signs, monorails, and fences. We'll also add the JP3 fences in some maps
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Ah, another Trespasser remake 8)

So that's what you had planned for the Town models :wink:
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Me, SilverKnight and another mapper the Mad Creator, will be taking your layout. I ported a few areas, Mad Creator will do other things, The comm building, the pipes, and the house will be ported. Other areas will be created by Mad Creator from scratch since he has the ability of doing things from reference pictures so perfectly.

Also Mad Creator has accepted to do a remake of your once JPO project
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

TheKritter71 wrote:Also Mad Creator has accepted to do a remake of your once JPO project
Ah JPO, lol. A project that was too big for its britches. I'm surprised someone wants to remake it :lol:

The story wasn't 100% nailed down, not many of the models were done, and the project was just too big for one person to take on alone. I did do a ton of research for it, some of which is hinted at in the JPO forums. Once you guys decide to start working on it, you can always ask me questions if you need to :P

At least with this engine the BioSyn subplot can be handled a lot better than Tres could have handled it :P Feel free to rewrite the story as you see fit and make it yours, I can't wait to see what you do with it :)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

More Trespasser remakes... oh my. It has become suddenly popular. Very popular.
Next we'll get a Trespasser remake in Trespasser. :wink:
(Seriously, I'm hoping we can get the engine to handle better assets and redo the levels...)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

machf wrote:More Trespasser remakes... oh my.
Indeed. . . quite amazing.

@killergame: Good Luck! :)
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
killergame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killergame »

awesome24712 wrote:
machf wrote:More Trespasser remakes... oh my.
Indeed. . . quite amazing.

@killergame: Good Luck! :)
Thank you.

If anyone is interested in porting stuff from trespasser or other games with content that is applicable to the Trespasser\Jurassic Park theme then please contact me.
killergame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killergame »

The Site B sign, quite a memorable momment. Does anyone here have all of annes narrative for the beach level? If you do i could do with the individual files in .mp3 format. It would save me some work doing it myself.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Ah JPO, lol. A project that was too big for its britches. I'm surprised someone wants to remake it

The story wasn't 100% nailed down, not many of the models were done, and the project was just too big for one person to take on alone. I did do a ton of research for it, some of which is hinted at in the JPO forums. Once you guys decide to start working on it, you can always ask me questions if you need to
JPO remake won't be a mod like thing, it will just be a recreation of your map layouts you did.

Mostly the visitor center area you did, I was impressed, though I may do the tour roads with enclosures

By the way, you should turn the sign a bit, it's a bit crossways facing the trail when it should be directly facing down the trail
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

killergame wrote:Does anyone here have all of annes narrative for the beach level? If you do i could do with the individual files in .mp3 format. It would save me some work doing it myself.
There's a tool on TresCom that extracts the sound files from the .tpa files. The voiceovers for anne and hammond are in stream.tpa. You'd have to do it yourself, otherwise it would most likely be considered illegal.

http://www.trescom.org/files/Tools/tpahack.zip

It would extract all of the sound files in the .tpa, but to find the ones your looking for (by searching for a statement and finding it's appropriate numbers) you can use this page.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And if you want to make sense of it all:

Anne's voiceovers list
Hammond's voiceovers list
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
killergame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killergame »

Thank you that voice over list will help. I have progressed as far as putting down basic terrain up to the start of the monorail. I have completed up to the first raptor meeting with the abandoned pickup truck although all is subject to change overtime.

The winding road that leads up the hilly path.

I decided in the first box puzzle to add abit more depth to the landslide. It's now a landslide that has taken a small wooden support bridge with it, you can use the crates or the wooden beam to get up to the other side.

Here is the valley where the bracks would be. They never really had a point in trespasser other than being there to look pretty and it's sadly unlikely i can get a animator\modeller to develop a model i can work with. The valley is perhaps abit smaller than the one in trespasser because of this however is still a nice place to visit.

Here's the second box puzzle, i have already knocked down the crates in the picture but it's fairly alike to the orginal in trespasser.

This is the start of the road (Still to be placed) Which leads to the first raptor.

Here's the pickup truck, i will eventually reskin it to look more dirty and ruined.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I haven't seen a lot of source engine exterior scenes,these look pretty good.The fog looks decent too not like most engines where it looks like its just there to hide sections of the map.Never tried the engine but i'm guessing with the amount of mods made in Source there will be a lot of content like vegetation? I know there's dino d day also so maybe some basic dinosaur AI available?
killergame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killergame »

vagrantart wrote:I haven't seen a lot of source engine exterior scenes,these look pretty good.The fog looks decent too not like most engines where it looks like its just there to hide sections of the map.Never tried the engine but i'm guessing with the amount of mods made in Source there will be a lot of content like vegetation? I know there's dino d day also so maybe some basic dinosaur AI available?
The source engine is not really designed for big open scenes and it is very hard to detail them with the correct amount of foilage without impacting fps too much. I have alot of experience with open scenes however, i have done several STALKER maps for a roleplay server i run at HGN. Thank you for your kind comment but there's still alot of work to be done and eventually i will be injecting detail sprites (Grass sprites in the terrain) and further planting more foliage. Dino D day does have some models i can work with, dinosaur wise. For A.I. i may end up using lua in the garrysmod game or building my own source mod.

I am currently using a wide range of models from other mods\games such as CS:GO which has some nice high-poly trees and bushes. Left for dead 2 has a few nice small palm trees too.