Trespasser: Unreal

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Re: Trespasser: Unreal

Post by Zablar »

lardman wrote:Cool, what sort of ai have you implemented?
well, so far it should be very selfgoing, I want it to have a active brain just like it was ment in trespasser, walks around, something infront of it it turns. This is pretty
much what I got, need the Raptor model finished though so I can see how smooth it is.

The main goal is having a hunger, anger, sleepy variable to.
lardman
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by lardman »

Zablar wrote:
lardman wrote:Cool, what sort of ai have you implemented?
well, so far it should be very selfgoing, I want it to have a active brain just like it was ment in trespasser, walks around, something infront of it it turns. This is pretty
much what I got, need the Raptor model finished though so I can see how smooth it is.

The main goal is having a hunger, anger, sleepy variable to.
Cool :)

Hunger (thirst?) and sleepiness should be easy to implement - simply increment the counter on each timestep possibly with a multiplier based on current action/movement speed, etc. I guess anger can be done similarly (i.e. increment if being attacked, and decrement over time). Handling what action to perform is probably the more interesting part, a bit of fuzzy logic rather than a straight state machine (with hysteresis to avoid the problem the Trespasser dinos had with all their emotions enabled, standing still and flipping between states).

I'd be tempted by adding curiosity and fear as other state variables, and perhaps others too, to make the behaviour more interesting. One thing that was originally in Trespasser was circling behaviour, but apparently it was removed because the raptors were too good and it made gameplay too difficult. Certainly it would be nice to get some cooperative and tactical approach/attack behaviour in the raptors though (again, interesting to code up).

The last one that I was thinking of was pathfinding and how to weight the maps such that things like raptors would stay in the jungle rather than crossing open areas, follow trails preferentially, etc. I imagine the pathfinding mesh can be weighted, and I wonder if you can generate multiple mesh weightings and switch between them at runtime depending on the dino action (e.g. one for fastest path, one for covert, etc.), something else for me to have a look at. Always good to have a project :)
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

With ego-shooter based controls the circling AI could be done again since fps-controls are rather presice (one-eighty-shot-one-eighty).
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

OBS: this is not the final version, question, the model itself is a mixture between movieversion and trespasser version, how would you like its skin to be?

awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I like the base skin. I look forward to see what colors you're going to have.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

I would say just use whatever you see fit. After all it's not directly Trespasser anymore so you've got some liberty there.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

Think Im gonna stick to something like this, lighter on the lowerpart and brown on the upper part, black cammoflage though not stripes like on most pics. Think this is pretty natural colours, nothing
to extreme as they shouldnt be to easy to detect in the forest lol.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

So amazing! I couldn't be more excited for this project!
Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

3insanity wrote:So amazing! I couldn't be more excited for this project!
thanks m8!

Aight so got him ingame with animations, pretty darn sweet actually :P At this current state, he walks between pathpoints I pick out on the map, he sees the player he chases him, player is out of sight, he walks back to the pathpoints :) simple but works for now.

There are a few changes that needs to be done with the model, I know that, but since I got a rig setup with premade animations I can simple edit the model, use the same rig, and no animations that have been done will be lost. Needed this to configure the AI files and the Velociraptor files.
Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

Have a really different update for you guys, a video update! Sorry for my english, don't really speak English everyday lol. Anyway. enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2eq-NihJ64&feature=plcp[/youtube]
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Nice work in the video,very cool to see some dino AI in game even if its simple at this stage,same with physics.I think if you get those working this early on you should have a real headstart on making something playable,all the environments can easily fall into place once you have them.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

Looks great! Keep those Video updates coming!
lardman
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by lardman »

Just watched the vid :) Great stuff!

Nice to see a moving dinosaur! :)
Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

Thanks alot for the comments folks! :)
vagrantart wrote:Nice work in the video,very cool to see some dino AI in game even if its simple at this stage,same with physics.I think if you get those working this early on you should have a real headstart on making something playable,all the environments can easily fall into place once you have them.
Yeah, basicly how im thinking to, try get the gameplay stuff working as well as possible at first, the graphics can easy be changed/updated later on :)

Aight so, in the Youtube video I mentioned me and a two friends of mine from school worked on a project a few monthes back in UnrealEngine. As I was the one scripting that project I realized I was sitting
on a bunch of scripts I could use in this project. So spent some time making the old codes work with this project and now like 40% of the coregameplay is working. Jump, crouch, sprint, drop/pickup weapon
(unlike UDK's version, in mine u can only have one primiary and one secondary), and the most important one IMO, the Aiming system. This is basicly what took the most time as coding something in singleplayer
is very basic compared to multiplayerscripting (need to make sure everything works on client and server side, our project was MP). Any way I got all of these things up and runing ingame now so thats a relief.

In the next youtubevideo I will not only show whats behind that fence but also show-off the weaponsystem at its current state :)
(O.B.S: Just ignore the arms texture, lol)

Zablar
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Zablar »

Sorry for leaving without no explanation, I got into college so been extremely busy. Been checking the forum from time to
time and truly amazed of the activity and what you guys manage to do. Everything is the way I left it so in a couple of
months I will continue working on this remake. Keep on trespassing folks!

//Zablar