Jurassic Time Special Edition on YouTube!

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Jurassic Time Special Edition on YouTube!

Post by HUNDOLOS »

Hello everyone :) it's been a while. Anyway, I had sort of a George Lucas kind of feeling one day and decided to put special editions of my original videos for Scallenger's Jurassic Time on youtube. If you haven't noticed this, or you don't even know what Jurassic Time is, but you like Hammond's voiceovers from the game, you should check this out ;)

Jurassic Time Special Edition YouTube Playlist

For those who've seen the original videos, the "only" actual improvement that I used my original high quality* but low resolution** videos, turned them into 720p versions, applied some moderate shaprening then saved and uploaded them in a lossless manner, so this is about as good as this series will ever look on youtube. Considering that at the time I originally created them, I even made lower quality versions, so the smaller files would upload faster, simply because I was impatient (and stupid about it :D) these should definitely look better than the ones that have been available on youtube until now, even if it's still no visual orgy :P Also, I put subtitles on these as well, like the old ones, but with correct timings this time, not just letting youtube do that part of the job, so it should be more enjoyable for anyone who should watch with subs for any reason :)

Oh and should anyone ask, I'll gladly put the original versions of Chapter 2 and 6 (6 being the dinosaur free one) in the same manner, but I just see no point in that if there's no expressed interest :)

*(in terms of compression, even though it's an old xvid codec I saved them with, they have ridiculously high bitrates, so there are almost no artifacts of any kind, apart from some fringing which you just can't avoid with xvid)
**(I just have to be honest, they're 400*300, because I was somewhat stupid about these kind of things back then and thought that should be enough for youtube :D in my defense, it was when the videos were still 4:3, not widescreen, and no HD either, not even many different levels of quality, just normal and "HQ")
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Jurassic Time Special Edition on YouTube!

Post by machf »

Hi! Yes, someone commented he had seen your Special Editions a few days ago...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

Well I just thought it'd be nice and proper anyway to create a topic and just say my piece :)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

HUNDOLOS wrote:in my defense, it was when the videos were still 4:3, not widescreen,
I can't recall how many times I've told people, if you put yt:stretch=16:9 into the video tags, then YouTube stretches it to fill the video player. The only downside is that the annotations may be messed up, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I do it for most of my 4:3 videos (record as 800x600, edit as 960x720, stretch on YouTube to 1280x720).
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

awesome24712 wrote:I can't recall how many times I've told people, if you put yt:stretch=16:9 into the video tags, then YouTube stretches it to fill the video player. The only downside is that the annotations may be messed up, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I do it for most of my 4:3 videos (record as 800x600, edit as 960x720, stretch on YouTube to 1280x720).
You mean stretch to the 16:9 frame or fill it? Because if you meant fill, then you losethe top and bottom parts of the image as it fills the width of the widescreen frame, so that's not so good. If you mean stretch, then you end up with a distorted image. Now, I don't want to seem like someone talking from a high horse here, but if you're any sort of a serious person, you shouldn't really be happy at people seeing your creations distorted, let alone encourage them to do it, just for the sake of filling the widescreen frame.

I actually considered cropping the videos to 16:9 - for about two fifths of a femtosecond :D before discarding the idea.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

HUNDOLOS wrote:
awesome24712 wrote:I can't recall how many times I've told people, if you put yt:stretch=16:9 into the video tags, then YouTube stretches it to fill the video player. The only downside is that the annotations may be messed up, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

You mean stretch to the 16:9 frame or fill it? Because if you meant fill, then you losethe top and bottom parts of the image as it fills the width of the widescreen frame, so that's not so good. If you mean stretch, then you end up with a distorted image. Now, I don't want to seem like someone talking from a high horse here, but if you're any sort of a serious person, you shouldn't really be happy at people seeing your creations distorted, let alone encourage them to do it, just for the sake of filling the widescreen frame.
It's stretching. I think there is a yt:crop=16:9 but when recording things like video games with a HUD, as you said, it's not a good idea.

I guess it might look distorted, specifically in a video with a person, but I would think that in a video game it wouldn't matter so much.
HUNDOLOS wrote:I actually considered cropping the videos to 16:9 - for about two fifths of a femtosecond :D before discarding the idea.
Didn't want a video with a resolution of 400x225? :wink:
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

Well I obviously didn't expect a great deal of improvement anyway, but I think it's safe to say that now if you watch the 480p or 720p versions in the default player size, you almost get the same as if you were watching the original files (save for the effects of recompression, of course), and if you watch the 720p version in the bigger player, you still get a more or less decent experience. I know the faults of my creations though, so I wouldn't really recommend watching them fullscreen :D
noodlez
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by noodlez »

I saw this for the first time, and regarding that it's an massive improvement to me. :)
Thank all creative creators so much for that, I lost my self in Dino-fantasies while listening.
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

This is an interesting and fun site, letting you do this: http://youtubedoubler.com/4kwp I have no explanation for the colour differences, whatsoever :P