Intro video not playing but I have sound.

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Spared No Expense
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Intro video not playing but I have sound.

Post by Spared No Expense »

:?: Hi everybody I'm totally new here and I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers so bear with me.

The last time I played trespasser was probably in 2005. I had a Compaq computer with Windows 98 and an AMD Athalon processor. The game always looked phenomenal on that. But eventually the computer died and I bought a Mac in 2006 so obviously I couldn't play Trespasser. Just last week I received a new HP laptop with Windows 7 as a gift and one of the first things I did was put in Trespasser because I really loved the game and haven't been able to play it in so long.

I did a full install but the intro video wasn't playing. I got sound but no picture. The rest of the game works great from what I've seen so far. I've only played about a level and a half though. So anyways when I'm trying to start up trespasser I'm getting this display message:

"Your video card does not have certified DirectX drivers. This game may work just fine, but if you have video problems, please contact your video card manufacturer for updated drivers."

Is there anything that you guys think I could do, or am I pretty much stuck with no video?

Please try to keep in mind I am a total noob with computers especially since I'm used to the Mac I've been using for the past 6 years. Pretend you are trying to explain this to a child lol.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Intro video not playing but I have sound.

Post by machf »

You can ignore that message (in fact, I think there's a checkbox that allows you to do that).
That's odd, the usual problem is video playing at light speed and no sound during the intro, rather than the other way around... try using ATX and see what happens:
http://atx.trescom.org/

Oh, and welcome to the asylum...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Spared No Expense
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Alright, I tried that and managed to get that installed but the problem is still there unfortunately. I should also add that if I right click on the mouse while the intro is playing, the video pops up for a very split second before going to the main menu.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Well, you can't just install the patch and expect it to work. There's an extra step you have to take.

Quote from the ATX ReadMe:
Intro video playing too fast, broken sound, fatal error when launching the ATX or game executable

-> For this, ATX needs to be downloaded and extracted, and you must have tried to run it at least once. Open ATXconfig.ini (in Notepad), find the section [Troubleshooting], set DisableA3DdllDetection=1 instead of 0, and save the file. This error is caused by the presence of an incompatible A3D.dll file in your system folder. This fix simply disables its detection by Trespasser. Note: This disables 3D sound.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Spared No Expense
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Just tried that and still no video :?