Positions of original locations map

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Positions of original locations map

Post by enigma »

While mapping out areas of Sorna in cryengine, I began to have difficulty really seeing where certain places would be or should be. Looked through some topics on places like the missing levels (plantation house for one) but then there is still more on locations of other thing like paths to take, and where certain areas end and begin.

What I have set up is a map with maplib with some basic information of the map as it is, not final or anything, quite rough, just looking to see others input on the location of things like the plantation house, hunters camp, swamp, the second monorail terminal and landslide etc, many of the things mentioned in the walkthrough.
http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=13384#

Any help would be great, you'll need a maplib account, only takes a minute or less, and can place map makers, and paths and areas. Looking to get to whiteboxing many areas, and sculpting the terrain, lost on many areas most likely locations. Hopefully the map should be recognisable, the very faint red areas are where the paths currently are, which can all change of course, all locations are open to debate, and no problem if terrain needs to altered or anything, so any suggestion welcome for anything, even areas which may not have even been mentioned. :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: Positions of original locations map

Post by s13n1 »

Some really nice work enigma!

I wish i had seen the map earlier, i would have contributed to it.

Are you still working on your CryEngine project?
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Nice... Wonder why nobody noticed this until now!

Have to like a Trespasser map :wink: ... Don't know much about PH or other 'Lost Levels' though.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I made this for the admins when we came into contact with that pre-release walkthrough. I was going to pretty it up and make it a general release, but forgot all about it until I saw this. Perhaps it can help you?
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Thanks for the replies. No problems with no other additions to the map from other users, just see if there was different idea about positioning of things, like the plantation house or hunters etc, I was getting a bit lost as to where certain things were in from the walkthrough.

Thanks hppav for the map, looks great. Seem I got he house position dead on. Was getting a bit lost when it came to IJ, like the swamp, perhaps that large ridge in the middle of IJ was not originally imagined, so you never went round the corner of anything. Taken back up to work on it and the terrain, shaping it up. (below)
s13n1 wrote:Some really nice work enigma!

I wish i had seen the map earlier, i would have contributed to it.

Are you still working on your CryEngine project?
Thanks. Am sort of working on it, been doing a more recently, but mostly been working on a finishing a few last buildings and non-specific assets. All ported into cryengine3 freesdk now, so can distribute something any time and was hoping to have a small demo in summer, at most just a map to mess around in. Would take it further, problem only lies with IP usage of Jurassic Park, contacting Universal or NBC about IP usage is seemingly impossible for anyone not in the industry, as all methods on NBC are only for specific subjects, and the e-mail address for universal does not work.

This is the latest I had.
You can probably make out the baseball field (behind the school), which is accurate size (professional size), the red thing is the ops centre untextured, which is a few metres larger for more moving space. Then the docks and dam, and the plains in the north.
Last edited by enigma on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Regarding IP.. You're better off keeping things quiet till you're about to release, or developing your project as an unofficial project.
Using no official JP artwork, characters and designs would be a good step in avoiding any copyright infringement notices.
Unless you have several tens of thousands of dollars, you probably wont be able to make anything too official. Its amazing how little
it takes for a project to be shut down.

Cryengine 3 SDK is nice, but you will encounter an issue with the heightmap. At heights above 300 metres or so, the terrain cant be smoothed
and you will have 'steps' that cant be avoided.

Be sure to test early, so you can avoid it or make the adjustments required to eliminate it. Mt Watson is very much affected by this issue in my map.
The mesh i created puts the summit at around 350 metres high, but in cryengine its more like 400+ metres, so the stepping effect is very visible.
Once im finished editing in Sandbox3, ill use Sandbox2 for detailing the map with objects etc.

Thats if i do end up using Cryengine2 of course.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Fortunately Crytek are aware of the terrain precision issue, might be fixed in next update or two (next one hopefully), as there is also the issue of terrain vertices snapping on large terrains when editing. Voxels being the best alternative, which would allow for some interesting cliffs. :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

It would be great if they could overcome the issue before i finish my island. I'm sure they will, i've got a lot of work to do yet.

Voxels are great, and i love that they are finally being put to good use in engines.
I plan to use voxels myself, as i want to limit the use of geometry objects for sculpting cliffs.

Years ago I found a really cool game made with voxels, i wish i could remember where i got it from. It was more of a tech demo and
featured little space ships flying around a map made entirely from voxels. You could blast away sections of the map, and when you
carved away a section of the terrain, it knew when it was no longer connected and would fall away. It was really well done!
You could destroy the entire level by the end of a match.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Never been fond of voxels. All engines and games I've seen so far suffered from the same type of problems which is inherent to the voxel graphics. At distance they are viable but closer up they all break down and look crap. Mixed approach might be the solution but I've yet to see an engine/game pulling this off in a working way.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Dragonlord wrote:Never been fond of voxels. All engines and games I've seen so far suffered from the same type of problems which is inherent to the voxel graphics. At distance they are viable but closer up they all break down and look crap. Mixed approach might be the solution but I've yet to see an engine/game pulling this off in a working way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhXIkbaVaj8
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

s13n1 wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:Never been fond of voxels. All engines and games I've seen so far suffered from the same type of problems which is inherent to the voxel graphics. At distance they are viable but closer up they all break down and look crap. Mixed approach might be the solution but I've yet to see an engine/game pulling this off in a working way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhXIkbaVaj8
I know that. My opinion still stands tall though.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )