Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: Remaking Trespasser (Released) / Jp:Aftermath

Post by s13n1 »

I'm glad im not the only one who thinks that way about CE.

Its a real love hate relationship. Some things are great, while there is so much to dislike.

If there's one thing i've learned about CE over the years, its you dont criticize CE on the CryDev forums. The Staff (and users) there are completely biased and ignorant of all issues, and will actually discredit you and bring into doubt your actions, your work, and question why you're tying to do something a certain way.

Basically, if you encounter a bug, its cause your doing something wrong.

I dont know how many times i raised the issue of the blocky terrain in early versions of CE3, only to have them ignore it and ask me why im trying to make such large terrains. Then ramble on about how real devs dont make environments that big, the man hours required is unrealistic, the content required to fill it etc. Yet, these issues were affecting even the smallest 1024x1024 size maps.

I once said on CryDev that the constant issues with CE3, mean its really only useable as a portfolio engine by artists to showcase their work. Nobody is using it to make an actual game because its too incomplete and updates are not reliable enough for people to risk starting a project with it. Basically, any update could break their entire game. I went on to say the proof was in their news page, where for the last couple of years they've posted only a couple of stories about actual games being made with it, while 99% is just screenshots of portfolio pieces or tiny environments. It didn't go down too well :-)

Within minutes, multiple staff members arrived to team up and totally shoot me down. They started firing off names of indie devs who were using CE (as if i was supposed to be impressed a particular person was using it), how many commercial titles were in the works, and then started directly criticizing me and my work, my knowledge of the engine etc.

I kinda hoped some others would jump in and back me up, but they know the score and kinda whistled with their hands in their pockets and wandered away :-)

I dunno what the deal is with the staff there. They're either scared of losing their jobs or are just so blindly loyal that they'll never admit anything is wrong with the engine.

My accusations that its directed towards small scale portfolio use is reflected in the evolution of the engine and its pricing. Its gone from an epic large scale outdoor engine to something that doesn't support maps larger than 4096x4096, and they dont even have terrain shadows now. Sounds crazy, but its true. And they now charge anyone who uses it a flat rate of $10 a month, no other fees or royalties. This means they make money from all the tinkerers who just want to make portfolio stuff. The very people who have advertised the engine for them for the last 3-4 years.

CryTek's money men aren't stupid, they know that 95% of the people using it are just tinkering with it. If it was more like 30% were making real games, dont you think there would be royalties and fees? It took them 3 years to figure out that to make any money from CE, they have to make it from everyone using it, because they're not making anything from the 2% of users that are making actual games with it.

I gave it one more shot recently after programmer offered to help. I had just posted an update on the blog for the first time in ages about sticking with CE2 and focusing on just finishing the island, but thought it best to let a programmer take one more look at it to see if the issues i had could be sorted out. Turns out they cant and are still present in even the latest EAAS version 3.7.

All my questions on CryDev were avoided or met with generic responses from the staff of "Please understand that FreeSDK 3.5.8 is an outdated version of the engine, if you want to do comparisons / or tech differences at least use the newest version of the engine which is EaaS 3.7".

They refused to tell me why certain things wouldn't work, if they could be fixed. Nope. Just 3.5.8 is old and crap, can't help you.

The issue here is that at one time, 3.5.8 was held in as high regard as they do now with 3.7. When version 3.9 is out and people are having trouble with 3.7, they'll turn their backs on 3.7 and say its crap and you need to use 3.9.

That's poor customer service and is what separates CE from Unity and UDK.

Its like if you took a 2014 car back into the dealer because the roof was leaking, and the sales person completely ignored your inquiries and tried to sell you the 2015 model. You'd take them to consumer affairs and get your money back.

I'm happy with CE2. It puts a smile on my face as a wander around the island. I know it might be limiting the projected potential, but im sure over time people will figure out how to add more features.

If this community can do what its done with Trespasser, im confident there's a lot that can be done with CE2.
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

People are jerks. You guys both have done brilliant stuff. I always am happy to see whatever you do, even if it is just a random screenshot. :D Beautiful stuff. I hope you guys still continue and don't give a damn what they say. :D
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

In that case definitely go with CE2. Upgrading the engine gives diminishing returns; both engines can look amazing graphically. Except maybe in CE3 you can see a toilet from two miles away instead of just one mile away (never used CE, just making a metaphor). I think engines are done improving in the graphics department. The future for increasing immersion lies in technology like the Occulus Rift, or in non-graphics based gameplay functions.

I've had very extensive experience in the source engine, working on steam-based mods and all, and the reason I enjoy it is the helpful community. Not that you should use the source engine for your project, but rather you should use whatever engine has the best community and support. You don't want to end up getting depressed just so you can see that toilet from two miles away.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I've ranted a fair bit about Cryengine (bloody door switch triggers!!!)never tried CE2 I dont think,I'm stuck on version Cry3 3.4.3 due to the AI and issues with the engine handling big meshes.I was looking at engines recently for a work project and the temptation for graphics on Cryengine is so much but after asking a tech question and never getting a reply I remembered how common that was...asked tons of stuff and it was always 'check the documentation'.

On a project note here's a .gif I made,working on that video I mentioned whenever I can so this is a shot from that.Never made a gif before so was messing about a bit -

http://i.imgur.com/fMMn1Z2.gifv
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Short animation test,was just experimenting but never quite worked.I wanted it to be more visible from the ground and set at night in rain but was just too dark and rain is barley visible.Early on I was thinking how do you make a dinosaur game with no dinosaurs..this was my test for a way of doing the horror movie thing and insinuating its there even if its not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21UCNlCrPmI

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Looks good mate!

I think the reason the rain doesn't show up is due to the way the particle sprites align to the camera. Kinda the same reason why the foggy cloud sprites move around strangely. You probably noticed it does similar things with waterfalls when you're right underneath them.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

s13n1 wrote: I think the reason the rain doesn't show up is due to the way the particle sprites align to the camera. Kinda the same reason why the foggy cloud sprites move around strangely. You probably noticed it does similar things with waterfalls when you're right underneath them.
Yeah I tried messing with the umbrella effect I think it was but couldn't get it right,plus I recorded in the editor not the launcher so at 720 quality I guess it wouldn't show up as well.
I liked the idea of it and had to give it a go and get it out my head,if I was a little more patient with it could have maybe worked as a cutscene thing.

Here's another experiment I had stuck in my head,pretty rough but I was having fun with it-

Video version,because I was bored - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__p9x6BmS4
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

vagrantart wrote: Here's another experiment I had stuck in my head,pretty rough but I was having fun with it-
That is nothing short of 'pretty impressive'. Very nice atmosphere over there.
It think it's awesome to see Isla Nublar in a 'Site B style'. Well done.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Another video,this is a compilation of the environments so far that I wanted to do for the film coming out.Most of the stuff has been shown in previous videos but wanted to get it all together so I could see myself where I'm up to with it in general.Tried a bunch of experiment videos in the last week (from first person animated type trailer - pure walkthrough) but decided to keep it simple on this so it's a little rough to be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFphHiL1Mgk
WideBoy
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by WideBoy »

seeing the trespasser remake blog inspired me to recreate the computer room, only done walls and the computer, and its in UE4. so no name calling :P
Attachments
computer.jpg
computer.jpg (26.64 KiB) Viewed 17290 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice there. Will you continue to do more of the computer room?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
WideBoy
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by WideBoy »

yeah, will use it as a "meditation" project :P Working on my own game, but somtimes man, you just gotha create something diffrent, somthing out of true love and not becouse you have a goal :P

Want to create some other stuff too from Trespasser, for me that game is such a feel good game
WideBoy
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by WideBoy »

The computer consoles, they are pretty polyheavy, and i will make the "buttons" normal maps to shave off some pollys, and the thingy where the colors are supposed to be (The squares) got fucked during the import...so gotha fix that. Making somthing thats "flat" in the original game to somthing more 3d is kinda hard, great exercise, but harder then i thought :P

And its not textureized, UV maped, but not no Texture quite yet :)

[EDIT]: wow....and they are too fat i see now, how did I get blind on that during the modeling...wow...
[EDIT2] Eiditing instead of posting, dont think many cares so dont want to spam. Fixed the consoles and made some TVs, next is to make the floor and roof look like they do. Creating textures are so not my field, so that will take ages :P But its fun 3d doodlin
Attachments
RoomWithTVs.JPG
RoomWithTVs.JPG (82.26 KiB) Viewed 17242 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice work! Maybe consider putting 3 CRAY XMPs in, like Hammond's voiceover says there are...
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

So I am assuming this project got DMCA'd or was forgotten. The author hasn't been seen in a while.