Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Antispam: No

Anyone work with the Source engine?

Post by jetblack »

I ask because I've been mulling over something as I've learned to work with the Source engine. I was thinking, if I could get a team together, of doing a small proof-of-concept level for a remake of Trespasser on the Source engine. If there's an engine out there for it, it's Source. So what does anyone think?
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Anyone work with the Source engine?

Post by Nick3069 »

It's been suggested a few times before. It never got anywhere. Most people think that the Source engine is getting too old and some have said that it's not the greatest for handling large outdoor environments with a lot of foliage.
If you ask me, Unreal3 or Cry3 would be better.
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Hrm, you may be right. Just a suggestion anyway.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Nick3069 wrote:It's been suggested a few times before. It never got anywhere. Most people think that the Source engine is getting too old and some have said that it's not the greatest for handling large outdoor environments with a lot of foliage.
If you ask me, Unreal3 or Cry3 would be better.
Neither of those engines can handle a game setup like Trespassers :( a remake would require its own engine, the rendering of objects is easy, the full dynamic influence, physics and creature interaction is just too much for either of these engines which are better suited to run-n-gun shooters.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

There was someone else here who had made the Ops centre in Source, was going to do the rest of the town also, I believe.

Would be great to see recreation of a trespasser area. Yeah, source is good but its a bit cumbersome for any up to date natural environments.
Could still do a trespasser level, like the town or summit.
Its far from impossible, just Source is not so good at large areas without some optimisation, so generally parts of the levels would need to be altered a bit. Really would be good to give it a try.
What are your systems specs? Just wondering, as there is a free version of Cryengine3 out in later Summer, no need to own a Crysis game, could get the opportunity to test it yourself. Maybe Unreal even, just never used it myself, but should be perfectly capable.

Only biggest bit of work is the AI characters, dinosaurs mostly. Anything ideally like trespasser amount of dynamic AI, or realistic dinosaur behaviour is the drawback, but that comes with any engine, and getting someone with the right level of ability and familiarity with the engine can be difficult.
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

I'd be able to handle CE3 easy, but how much later this summer?
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

jetblack wrote:I'd be able to handle CE3 easy, but how much later this summer?
August. :)
The Ce3 may not be bets engine, but as you've used source, it should take very little time to pick up and test, I think you'll definitely find you can do a fair amount, only issue with it would be the assets, with the ce3 there won't be any usable assets that would be more suited to a trespasser environment. That would be the same for any engine though I guess. Could always take models from trespasser and use them as placeholders, that would really work out in a funny way. :D

Regardless of the engine, any trespasser recreation of any size would be interesting to see.
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by makairu »

I agree that source would probably be best. It has a physics system that was actually used to create puzzles. I would jump at this opportunity and be willing to help, but I have no experience with any of the engines and am not really that great at programming.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

makairu wrote:I agree that source would probably be best. It has a physics system that was actually used to create puzzles. I would jump at this opportunity and be willing to help, but I have no experience with any of the engines and am not really that great at programming.
Having the physics engine is great and all but what it really needs is raw triangle pumping power and Source lacks this and UT lacks true dynamic world environments.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
GigaY2k
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by GigaY2k »

However, Crysis does have all that.

Someone with the right tools could make new interactive objects out of trespasser meshes.
Visit my deviant at:
http://mrseyker.deviantart.com/

"Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here, by Spartan Law, we lie"
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

GigaY2k wrote:However, Crysis does have all that.

Someone with the right tools could make new interactive objects out of trespasser meshes.
CryTek cant do what Trespasser does and was supposed to do. It has destructable, dynamic environments, but it does not have truly dynamic environments. Trespasser is one of a kind.
EpicZen
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

RexHunter99 wrote:Trespasser is one of a kind.
I agree. There is no source out there that got some kind of Annes arm function, and without that, it's just another game.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by makairu »

tatu wrote: and without that, it's just another game.
Well, just another shooter, or just another over the shoulder/ fixed camera survival horror.

but yes, I agree. A remake would likely have to be written from the ground up to insure full physical interaction.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

..the problem with a "remake in another engine" is that it's simply an imitation, adn that's all it can ever be - imitations are not identical in experience (I mean, of course it might be less buggy and more reliable, etc, but that's not the point I'm trying to make) -- a completely new, built-from-the-ground engine, although an imitation, isn't as such modifying the existing as it is creating something completely new.

Hopefully I've made a half-relevant point here, in some sort of coherent structure.
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
GigaY2k
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by GigaY2k »

RexHunter99 wrote:
GigaY2k wrote:However, Crysis does have all that.

CryTek cant do what Trespasser does and was supposed to do. It has destructable, dynamic environments, but it does not have truly dynamic environments. Trespasser is one of a kind.
What do you mean by truly dynamic environments? Being able to interact with the world through the hand?

Because, while CryEngine doesn't have it, it can be done. The game already allows you to pick up a wide variety of objects (which, talking honestly, it's the core of Trespasser gameplay).
Visit my deviant at:
http://mrseyker.deviantart.com/

"Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here, by Spartan Law, we lie"