Antispam: No

Your Trespasser Reviews!

Post by DeadEye »

This is a contest (Nothing more) to see who can write the best Trespasser
review, as a magazine or website would. This is just for fun, so don't expect
a check in the mail :lol:

What you need in your review:

Pros/Cons
Story & Protagonist (How did our protagonist get there?)
Enjoyable moments
Gameplay mechanics (Describe them)
Anything else (An easter egg or two, etc.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have fun! As I said before, this is just for fun,
and I've yet to set and end date. Or maybe I won't O_o
"It's not the pace of life I mind. It's the sudden stop at the end."
~Hobbes

"It does not take the world's most powerful nations to spark the next global conflict. Just the will, of one man."
~Vladimir Makarov
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Your Trespasser Reviews!

Post by machf »

Well, welcome to the forums!
And your idea sounds good, I wonder how many people will follow it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Well, to get things rolling, and just for something for me to do, I'll try a review:

TRESPASSER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The excitment over this shooter is for good
reason. Now that I've played it, I don't think many shooters,
no matter how good their graphics or stories are, will top
Trepasser in greatness. Though the story is a bit loose around
the hinges in my opinion, it's solid and will keep the player wanting
to go on until their done. You play as Anne, an air-sick girl who crashes
on Site B, a.k.a. Isla Sorna, the research island for John Hammonds'
Jurassic Park. After learning the basic controls and playing with a few
boxes and crates in what appears to be an outpost or compound of some sort,
you move on and discover one of the key parts of the game: firearms. The
aiming mechanism is different from other shooters as well. To aim here, you
must actually line up the ironsights to shoot straight. As you progress through the game,
you discover more powerful firearms, and usually you must make a choice: Should I go for that
Ak-47 or spring for the Spas-12? I bet your wondering why you have to make choices, and I'll tell you why.
In Trepasser, it's only two items (So, 2 guns or 1 gun and 1 melee, or 1 gun and one keycard, etc.) per
person. Not only that, but your ammo is VERY limited, and you can't reload, due to Anne and her broken left
arm. Yippee.

Overall, Trespasser is an amazing game, combining a good psychics engine and beautiful graphics, and,
most of all, our big prehistoric friends, the dinosaurs. I won't speak further than the fact that Anne does manage to escape the island, but to discover how, you must play the game, and enter the unknown. You must enter... Jurassic Park: Trespasser.
~Hobbes

"It does not take the world's most powerful nations to spark the next global conflict. Just the will, of one man."
~Vladimir Makarov
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Not a bad review, but it's a little short and you didn't really mention any cons, like the frustrating box stacking puzzles and the large amount of glitches and errors.

I think this contest is a good idea, there are so many reviews of the game that don't give it what it deserves. This contest could show that Trespasser isn't as bad as most reviewers say it is but also show that even fans know it's far from perfect.

I might make a review, but I've been busy with life lately, so I probably wont. Not in the near future, at least.
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Nick3069 wrote:Not a bad review, but it's a little short and you didn't really mention any cons, like the frustrating box stacking puzzles and the large amount of glitches and errors.

I think this contest is a good idea, there are so many reviews of the game that don't give it what it deserves. This contest could show that Trespasser isn't as bad as most reviewers say it is but also show that even fans know it's far from perfect.

I might make a review, but I've been busy with life lately, so I probably wont. Not in the near future, at least.
There was actually I reason I didn't put in a lot of cons, because people won't buy a game that isn't great, now would they? And YES, I HATE the crate puzzles, especially the one in Hammonds Mansion.
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Vesiapina »

DeadEye wrote:
Nick3069 wrote:Not a bad review, but it's a little short and you didn't really mention any cons, like the frustrating box stacking puzzles and the large amount of glitches and errors.

There was actually I reason I didn't put in a lot of cons, because people won't buy a game that isn't great, now would they? And YES, I HATE the crate puzzles, especially the one in Hammonds Mansion.
I think there should've been more puzzles like the Hammonds' Mansion one. It was hard, but in the end it was just an awesome feeling to get through it! More puzzles like that please. :)
With Trespasser, you can!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That one in Hammond's mansion was definitely a doozy on my first run through the game.... Now I've realized I don't even need to change them, they can be jumped as-is. Oh and my ex gf also did it on her first attempt without any crate-moving.. :sick: What's REALLY interesting is how it works in build 96 :lol:
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Draconisaurus wrote:That one in Hammond's mansion was definitely a doozy on my first run through the game.... Now I've realized I don't even need to change them, they can be jumped as-is. Oh and my ex gf also did it on her first attempt without any crate-moving.. :sick: What's REALLY interesting is how it works in build 96 :lol:
If you were to watch me play Hammonds mansion, you would hear MANY words frowned upon by the admins, lol.
I just loved the eerie mystery of the place, as if... I don't know. As if I had really entered a lost world, where everything was... Was left for dead, so to speak. The wild coming to close the distance between what's left of humans on the island. I had a blast playing that level, the soundtrack only added to the suspense. I was killed multible times exploring the InGen Town, I HATE THE DINER!
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Someone really out to put together the cooler Trespasser houses in a small level and give it a more haunted feel...
Oddjob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Oddjob »

Hello TresCom forums! It's been a while.
Now, first of all, I should say this: Sorry, I've been away for a looooong time (busy with school and a ton of other stuff...) and during that time, I forgot my user account, so I had to create new one. Anyway, it's good to be back. And for my review of Trespasser. Let's see how long this'll get...

Now, I've been a rather big fan of Jurassic park ever since I saw the two first movies, and as a video game fan, naturally, a well made Jurassic park game has always kinda been my dream come true. Now, the first Jurassic park games I bought were Warpath, a streetfighter style beat 'em up style game and the Lost World, a 2D adventure game, both of these were more or less disappointing, so for a long time the best Jurassic Park game for me was the first Dino Crisis game, which still is absolutely amazing! If you haven't tried it, do check it out! I guarantee, it's superb!
But then, I heard of this game called Trespasser and saw a few videos. And it blew my mind. The enviroment, the atmosphere, the dinosaurs, everything about this game got me curious and after a few months of endless eBaying, I got the game and I immediately got the mod as well. And I finished the game on normal difficulty in like... 3 days? And after that, the very hard in 5 days and I was hooked. Totally.

And now, into the review itself, I think I don't have to explain the story, so let's get straight into the gameplay.

The very first thing I noticed was, that the graphics were really ahead of their time (and this game was released unfinished!), the little details of the water alone were impressing. But a word or two about the controls, the basic movements (running, jumping, crouching etc.) are all clear and simple and work fine, but what I really have to talk about, is the arm. I personally loved the idea of a game with zero crosshairs and HUD's and that you get the full control over what you're doing, but trying to get used to using the arm is painful. Especially rotating the arm can be tricky. Now, you get used to the arm along time, but still, when I was at my very best, I still had troubles with aiming at the raptors (but then again, one could say, it adds more realism to the game, since Anne is no professionally trained hitwoman.). Also picking stuff up KILLED me a few times, which was annoying. But then again, the arm can be most entertaining at around 3:00 a clock in the morning. Another badly done thing was the inventory. Just two slots? C'MON! When you have to 1) carry something like 3 keys around, 2) have a gun and a spare in case of raptors and 3) do this all at the same time, you find yourself constantly running around the town level for example, trying to find where you left the green key and where to find more guns, which is frustrating.

But anyway, moving along, now I could talk about the level design and the challenges.
Now, like I said before, the graphics are amazing for its time and so are the level designs. You really feel like you are in a jungle and there's always plenty of areas to cover. The level designers also succeeded with placing the different establishments. But I was a little disappointed, that there weren't more jungle and / or town levels, since they were my favourite ones. The biggest disappoint was the lab, since I was hoping for a big facility filled with lurking raptors and lots of gore as well (must be because of Dino Crisis, where the whole game is set to a secret lab and all the enemies are always there lurking behind the corners). But, apart from these little strikes, I enjoyed the levels.
The challenges in the game were in my honest opinion the most shaky in quality. Well, mostly because of the puzzles, most of them were way too simple and easy to figure out, but as a flaming contrast to these parts were the ridicilously hard parts, where you have to for example figure your way past a huge herd of raptors (in the end of the town level, near the dam, anybody?). Since in this game you are constantly low on ammo, you can't f*ck around missing shots. I know, it's nice that the game is challenging, but enough is enough (but once again, it adds more tension to the game and I like it. I'm just nitpicking here. I have to be critical here 8DD ). But lets talk about the dinosaurs for a bit, shall we? Most of the designs are lovely, some of them are the best ever (the alpha rex and the tribe A raptors), but some of them are horrible (triceratops, mostly. Gosh they're ugly...). The AI is once again superior, considering the time and the state it was released in. The raptors have managed to sneak behind me and jump on me (literally) without me noticing them before I'm dead and these momenst almost made me scream of excitement. That felt so realistic! Just like in the movies! Also, as frustrating and painful they sometimes are, the feeling when you're being chased by a t-rex or a few raptors and all you have is an empty shotgun, it really gets your adrenaline rushing through you, when you have to figure something out and fast. I would've wanted to see more herbivores though... A herd of parasaurolophuses herding on a swamp for example would've been beautiful. And my lord, is the alpha rex cool! I love it!

And now, the punch line and the final rating: The game is really well done seeing that it was released unfinished. And though it was a little too short and the gameplay was a little stiff here and there, I still consider it one of the best games of the era and one of my personal favourites of all time. I give it 9.3 points out of 10.

And too bad, that the game's only for Windows... Maybe someday I'll get it up and running on my mac... Maybe someday...

~Oddjob
Last edited by Oddjob on Mon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Like trousers like brain"
~Joe Strummer (RIP)
"This isn't a joke you idiot! We we're just attacked by a big assed lizard!"
~Regina (Dino Crisis)
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Oddjob wrote:Hello TresCom forums! It's been a while.
Now, first of all, I should say this: Sorry, I've been away for a looooong time (busy with school and a ton of other stuff...) and during that time, I forgot my user account, so I had to create new one. Anyway, it's good to be back. And for my review of Trespasser. Let's see how long this'll get...

Now, I've been a rather big fan of Jurassic park ever since I saw the two first movies, and as a video game fan, naturally, a well made Jurassic park game has always kinda been my dream come true. Now, the first Jurassic park games I bought were Warpath, a streetfighter style beat 'em up style game and the Lost World, a 2D adventure game, both of these were more or less disappointing, so for a long time the best Jurassic Park game for me was the first Dino Crisis game, which still is absolutely amazing! If you haven't tried it, do check it out! I guarantee, it's superb!
But then, I heard of this game called Trespasser and saw a few videos. And it blew my mind. The enviroment, the atmosphere, the dinosaurs, everything about this game got me curious and after a few months of endless eBaying, I got the game and I immediately got the mod as well. And I finished the game on normal difficulty in like... 3 days? And after that, the very hard in 5 days and I was hooked. Totally.

And now, into the review itself, I think I don't have to explain the story, so let's get straight into the gameplay.

The very first thing I noticed was, that the graphics were really ahead of their time (and this game was released unfinished!), the little details of the water alone were impressing. But a word or two about the controls, the basic movements (running, jumping, crouching etc.) are all clear and simple and work fine, but what I really have to talk about, is the arm. I personally loved the idea of a game with zero crosshairs and HUD's and that you get the full control over what you're doing, but trying to get used to using the arm is painful. Especially rotating the arm can be tricky. Now, you get used to the arm along time, but still, when I was at my very best, I still had troubles with aiming at the raptors (but then again, one could say, it adds more realism to the game, since Anne is no professionally trained hitwoman.). Also picking stuff up KILLED me a few times, which was annoying. But then again, the arm can be most entertaining at around 3:00 a clock in the morning. Another badly done thing was the inventory. Just two slots? C'MON! When you have to 1) carry something like 3 keys around, 2) have a gun and a spare in case of raptors and 3) do this all at the same time, you find yourself constantly running around the town level for example, trying to find where you left the green key and where to find more guns, which is frustrating.

But anyway, moving along, now I could talk about the level design and the challenges.
Now, like I said before, the graphics are amazing for its time and so are the level designs. You really feel like you are in a jungle and there's always plenty of areas to cover. The level designers also succeeded with placing the different establishments. But I was a little disappointed, that there weren't more jungle and / or town levels, since they were my favourite ones. The biggest disappoint was the lab, since I was hoping for a big facility filled with lurking raptors and lots of gore as well (must be because of Dino Crisis, where the whole game is set to a secret lab and all the enemies are always there lurking behind the corners). But, apart from these little strikes, I enjoyed the levels.
The challenges in the game were in my honest opinion the most shaky in quality. Well, mostly because of the puzzles, most of them were way too simple and easy to figure out, but as a flaming contrast to these parts were the ridicilously hard parts, where you have to for example figure your way past a huge herd of raptors (in the end of the town level, near the dam, anybody?). Since in this game you are constantly low on ammo, you can't f*ck around missing shots. I know, it's nice that the game is challenging, but enough is enough (but once again, it adds more tension to the game and I like it. I'm just nitpicking here. I have to be critical here 8DD ). But lets talk about the dinosaurs for a bit, shall we? Most of the designs are lovely, some of them are the best ever (the alpha rex and the tribe A raptors), but some of them are horrible (triceratops, mostly. Gosh they're ugly...). The AI is once again superior, considering the time and the state it was released in. The raptors have managed to sneak behind me and jump on me (literally) without me noticing them before I'm dead and these momenst almost made me scream of excitement. That felt so realistic! Just like in the movies! Also, as frustrating and painful they sometimes are, the feeling when you're being chased by a t-rex or a few raptors and all you have is an empty shotgun, it really gets your adrenaline rushing through you, when you have to figure something out and fast. I would've wanted to see more herbivores though... A herd of parasaurolophuses herding on a swamp for example would've been beautiful. And my lord, is the alpha rex cool! I love it!

And now, the punch line and the final rating: The game is really well done seeing that it was released unfinished. And though it was a little too short and the gameplay was a little stiff here and there, I still consider it one of the best games of the era and one of my personal favourites of all time. I give it 9.3 points out of 10.

And too bad, that the game's only for Windows... Maybe someday I'll get it up and running on my mac... Maybe someday...

Wow, that was amazing. You pointed out many notable cons as well (Dying from picking up a gun, my least favorite glitch) as well as pointing out that the graphics were way ahead of it's time (Though let's hold our horses, didn't Carnivores come out in the same year? Yes, it did.) Overall, that was a good review. Alas, Steve Jobs has yet to find a heart for the dinosaurs waiting to hunt down the Mac users... Almost literally.
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
Oddjob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Oddjob »

DeadEye wrote:
Oddjob wrote:Hello TresCom forums! It's been a while.

Wow, that was amazing. You pointed out many notable cons as well (Dying from picking up a gun, my least favorite glitch) as well as pointing out that the graphics were way ahead of it's time (Though let's hold our horses, didn't Carnivores come out in the same year? Yes, it did.) Overall, that was a good review. Alas, Steve Jobs has yet to find a heart for the dinosaurs waiting to hunt down the Mac users... Almost literally.
Why thank you! Do you think I have that special gift to become a professional critic? LOL.
Nah, I'm glad you enjoyed it :3. Should I review other dinosaur related games over here? Like Dino crisis, which I already mentioned? Or the Lost World (it would be lovely to get to write some Angry video game Nerd inspired stuff *evil grin*)? What do you think? :D

~Oddjob

PS. It sure feels good to be back here in Trescom! ^____^
~Joe Strummer (RIP)
~Regina (Dino Crisis)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome back - Are you the Finnish guy from here I added to messenger the other month? :P 'Janivahto'
Oddjob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Oddjob »

Draconisaurus wrote:Welcome back - Are you the Finnish guy from here I added to messenger the other month? :P 'Janivahto'
No, my latest visit must date like... A year back? XD
And I don't remember adding anybody from here to my messenger...? Well, anyway, thanks!

~Oddjob

PS: Trespasser is installing on my mac even as we speak. Seemingly the technique linux is working! >:3333
~Joe Strummer (RIP)
~Regina (Dino Crisis)
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Nice review Oddjob, covers the pros and cons of Trespasser in a good length review, I think. :)

Good to hear the Linux technique is working so far with Mac. Make sure to keep us posted on that. :yes:
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]