Sound Effects?

You may select 1 option

View results

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Jurassic Time- A New Version, Again?

Post by scallenger »

I've actually been wondering if people wanted a 3rd and final rendition of Jurassic Time. The reason being the music Bill Brown sent me (available on one of my sites in my signature) is a bit higher quality for most tracks of music than what I used in BOTH available versions of Jurassic Time. However, if most people think the music sounds fine the way it is, I won't bother this time.

Jurassic Time is an audio narration by John Parker Hammond (Richard Attenburrough); the story of the rise of his dream and the fall of his empire. It features all of the dialogue from the game by Hammond restructured for storytelling and is set to music from the game by Bill Brown.

There are currently two versions of the presentation. There is the Original Version and also Version 2.0, which features additional dialogue by Hammond recovered from the beta version of Trespasser, along with higher quality and further restructuring. You can download both versions at the Jurassic Time Website.

View discussion of the Original Version.

View discussion of Version 2.0.

Read about the recently found Trespasser- Original Hammond Script, and it's potential own version of Jurassic Time.

Note: Thread "views" are incorrect on this topic due to thread split that occurred.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Jurassic Time- A New Version, Again?

Post by 3insanity »

I wanted to thank you for Jurassic Time! It has continued to provide me with hours of entertainment and inspiration.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

You're most certainly welcome! I'm happy that it can entertain as well as inspire. That's the biggest compliment I could ever want to hear about anything I create. :) Although I still believe much credit goes to Austin Grossman for the writing, Richard Attenburrough for the voice acting, and Bill Brown for the music. I was merely the arranger of it all, heh. But I still believe this is the best way to take in Hammond's story, even better than actually playing the game since most of the dialogue is not actually "in" the game itself.

Speaking of Austin Grossman, I have still tried contacting him on numerous occasions here and there the past year, and have YET to hear a word from him. I'll probably contact him one last time before the year is out, and then one more time near the beginning of the year for good luck, and that will be the end of my attempts. Oh well. We already basically have a script, which may very well be the same Austin had anyway, who knows? But after a while, after YEARS, it becomes a bit hard to be chasing after someone for something, and it starts to feel "desperate". I will admit that after the stuff we already have script-wise, my interest for it has also diminished.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

If you have higher quality files then I would love to see a new Jurassic Time put together! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

scallenger wrote:I was merely the arranger of it all, heh.
That's called "Editor"... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I myself wold not be particularly interested in seeing a new version—but that's no reason to improve one's own work. :)
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Hmm I like the diversity of reactions! Let's all voice them out in a new poll I created at the thread's top! Cast your votes now!

And for some clarification... for those who may be confused by what I mean by "improved music quality"...

When I made Jurassic Time Version 2.0, it was undoubtedly because of the discovery of extra lines of dialogue discovered in the beta version of Trespasser (and now, what I think we believe was ALL of which was recorded). There was some boost in music quality for the high quality tracks that came from Bill Brown's site, since the way I edited the first version of Jurassic Time, ALL the music ended up sounding much more "washed out". However, I used a lot more music than just those tracks, which came from the game. Those tracks ALWAYS had fairly muddy and low quality. However, I don't think it was too long after Version 2.0 was done (half a year, more or less?) when, thanks to Tatu's help, I was able to acquire the (mostly) complete soundtrack in high quality MP3 form from Bill Brown himself (which you can hear below on my signature link to the site). Right when I got it, one of the first things I thought was "damn... if only I had this while I was doing Version 2.0". If I had it then, there most certainly be no reason for a new version now. So while I regretted not having it back then, I was a bit burnt out from it all at that point that I didn't have energy or enough interest to do yet ANOTHER version. But now that time has passed, I've started to think about it again. And more and more I want to.

There are a couple things I may change in the process, too, but not as much as what happened last time. Just minor things, really. However, as the poll indicates, I did have an idea for some really interesting extras I could throw in next time. I've long been opposed to having a version of this without any music. And while I kind of don't see a good reason for it (even Austin Grossman thought it needed the music), if more than a couple people or so REALLY want it like that, too, I may do it. However, one thing I really may do for sure, if enough people go for it, is isolate two different Hammond monologue's from both Jurassic Park films that he appeared in. I would isolate just the vocal part from the film (if possible) and set it to the music as heard in the scene, free of SFX. There is ONE MORE bonus I may throw in, but I gotta have at least one surprise.

This is, of course, only if any of you want to do this at all! I'll determine what to do exactly by December 15th! So cast your votes to help me out!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Difficult to choose option, since some votes for some additions and some don't. :P

Btw, I don't remember if we had the voiceover scripts back then, will they help in any way if you would change some parts?
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

The script, I believe, mostly just seems to have dialogue grouped by tone for the actor (Attenburrough) to read them in. There may have been some parts that told a bit of the story. I was actually planning on going through the script before redoing anything this time, too. However, I still don't think the script we have was the ACTUAL script Grossman wrote. It seems like they just took what parts they wanted to record from it based on locations of where they wanted some of the story to be told. But I could be wrong. It does have those "insert by Austin Grossman" tags on a lot of them.

EDIT: Now you can vote up to 3 options on the poll. ;)
AlexGriffin
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AlexGriffin »

I like all the work you do Scallenger. Whatever you do, keep us in the loop :-)
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Thank you! And I certainly will!

I notice in the poll, the people who voted for the 2nd option for "changes", anyone care to share what changes they would like?
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Well based on the votes I had for the poll (which is now closed), it seems like enough people would like to see this happen VS those who thought it was a waste of time, so I have started the process! It'll be a slow one, mind you, since I'm juggling it between work and etc, but I want to have it done in time before the release of Jurassic Park 3D in April! But maybe sooner! :)

Also, based on the votes, which luckily corresponded with how I felt all along, there will NOT be a version with no music. This would actually be a bit annoying to do anyway, actually, because it would literally become two different projects since the way I edit the program to the music it can't be separated. However, there WILL be the two bonus tracks from the films! I think they will be a lovely addition to the program and are something I should have thought of including all along!

There will also be some restructuring changes yet again and some different placement of music in a couple parts (namely the opening track will have the original music restored, as was heard in the original version ripped from the game, only this time there will be NO sound effects thanks to now having the actual music from it this time!). If any of you have any restructuring suggestions in terms of dialogue placement based on Version 2.0, let me know.

Also, this version will NOT be called Version 3.0, or anything like that. I'm attempting to come up with a better name. :D
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

Awesome! I'm very excited to hear your new version! Thanks again for all your hard work, I sure as hell appreciate it.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

scallenger wrote: Also, this version will NOT be called Version 3.0, or anything like that. I'm attempting to come up with a better name. :D
Redux? Special Edition? Director's/Editor's Cut? Yet Another One? Enhanced? Extended Version? Anniversary Edition? Versión Corregida y Aumentada? Updated and Expanded Edition? Versión Corregida, Deformada y Desinfectada?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Jurassic Time: Rampage Edition 8)