Broke (literally) the gates leading to the lab

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Broke (literally) the gates leading to the lab

Post by Hilwo »

Anyone ever literally break the gates at the harbor leading to the lab? I went for both of the green keycards to see as much of the level
as possible. Tried the Atlantic keycard on the lock first, then the warehouse one. I don't even know why I tried both, but the gates started
moving towards each other again and then simply fell to the terrain as they touched each other. I was able to replicate it and have a save
as well as a video. I showed tatu and he said the magnets broke. You can literally see the doors drop to the terrain before they move
towards each other again. Never seen this before :P
Attachments
TPass000.jpg
TPass000.jpg (283.67 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Broke (literally) the gates leading to the lab

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well nuts. I'd want to test it out myself but I don't think I've seen such a glitch before. Neat!!

I still believe the older versions of this puzzle are better. You have to shove the green keycard across the ground to the reader on the other side, using a ribar or other object. So cool.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

This is funny.
And as I said to Hilwo, the magnets have no break script so I have no clue why this happen. :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

What kind of magnet work does it use? There is a thing in retail Tres where magnets get "turned on" or some such, which I always found confusing. It's possible to achieve the same effect with "Frozen = true/false" script, so I never bothered to really learn it. But magnets normally holding a door shut can be made to activate axis-freedom. Maybe that is related?
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:I still believe the older versions of this puzzle are better. You have to shove the green keycard across the ground to the reader on the other side, using a ribar or other object. So cool.
I already forgot about that :) Maybe I'll replay some build 96 levels soon as well.

Made a new save with both keycards at the gates for easy viewing/testing. Left one is from the Atlantic, I put the bugged toxic rifle next to the warehouse one.

Edit: Als here is a gif :)
https://gifyu.com/image/SS5pa
Attachments
labgates_save.7z
(305.58 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hum, the page isn't loading for me.
Also I think b96 has an easier version but it's b55 that has the one where you need to push the card.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hum, the page isn't loading for me.
Also I think b96 has an easier version but it's b55 that has the one where you need to push the card.
Sorry to hear, it works for me?
Ah okay :) I did try b96 earlier today but I can't get either card to work with the padlock. Can't remember if they worked or not.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hey, this happened to me years ago when I did the exact same thing! Always thought it was one of those one-time bugs. :P I was like "uh...okay then" and proceeded on my way.

It may have something to do with the triggers, but I don't know the scripting of that particular gate. I'm guessing they forgot to implement a check to see if the gates had already been opened by the first keycard...perhaps this is caused by toggling the Frozen value to False when it is already set to False? There is a lot of scripting in the retail levels that is a huge mystery as they often did things in a complicated fashion.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

TheIdiot wrote:Hey, this happened to me years ago when I did the exact same thing! Always thought it was one of those one-time bugs. :P I was like "uh...okay then" and proceeded on my way.

It may have something to do with the triggers, but I don't know the scripting of that particular gate. I'm guessing they forgot to implement a check to see if the gates had already been opened by the first keycard...perhaps this is caused by toggling the Frozen value to False when it is already set to False? There is a lot of scripting in the retail levels that is a huge mystery as they often did things in a complicated fashion.
Yeah, it didn't work every time for me, but most of the times it did :) I still don't get why they even added a second green keycard :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I think the second card is nice! It both adds a reason to fully explore the warehouses, and it ads a degree of non-linear puzzle to the level.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:I think the second card is nice! It both adds a reason to fully explore the warehouses, and it ads a degree of non-linear puzzle to the level.
Oh I like that it's there, but it's in such an illogical place you'd think people would only find it by accident :D
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hilwo wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:I think the second card is nice! It both adds a reason to fully explore the warehouses, and it ads a degree of non-linear puzzle to the level.
Oh I like that it's there, but it's in such an illogical place you'd think people would only find it by accident :D
Specially as the warehouse card is not present in the build 55 version. Maybe it was part of an idea they never got time to finish as they clearly wanted you to fight the T-Rex at the warehouses. :D

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

tatu wrote:Specially as the warehouse card is not present in the build 55 version. Maybe it was part of an idea they never got time to finish as they clearly wanted you to fight the T-Rex at the warehouses. :D
Yeah really seems like they didn't find the proper place for the second card yet. There's very little difference in b55 and b96 in these shots. What is see is the stairs on the left seems to have been moved, and the time of day looks different.

Edit: screenshots fixed.
Attachments
TPass000.jpg
TPass000.jpg (145.57 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
TPass001.jpg
TPass001.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Yeah. For all we know it could be some inside joke stuff that some tester never found the keycard or something. :D

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

tatu wrote:Yeah. For all we know it could be some inside joke stuff that some tester never found the keycard or something. :D
Yeah :) The one in the warehouse with the toxic rifle (though bugged) really does seem like a reward for exploring. The strategy guide mentions it as being the easier way to obtain it, and I remember reading the same elsewhere before ever reading the strategy guide. Must have been Sinjin's guide. I remember finding that odd, as to me it's way easier to get the one from the Atlantic container. But I think for the guides it was still in the warehouse from the screenshots above. For retail it was moved to the other warehouse and with the neccessary box climbing, way harder to get in my opinion.

Edit: I think I read it in the guide on TrespasserNet, which I think also used the strategy guide.