Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Thoughts about the map in Hammond's office

Post by machf »

I was checking it again, and this voice over
VH88: The pylons ran for kilometers, one every hundred meters or so… I built them to last. Running east from the plant, they climbed the valley before descending south into the plains.
got me thinking... those are the pylons supporting the power lines he's talking about. The plant is clearly the Geothermal Plant, then there's mention of the plains to the south (that would be after exiting the town). Assuming the labels to the right correspond to each of the five locations activated by the buttons, that one would correspond to "Flood Control", with the spot marked on the map representing the dam, right? And likely, the road is somehow impracticable around that point. Notice there should also be a fork in the road around there, with a "branch" going directly towards the mountain... maybe that part is flooded, forcing you to procedd to Pine Valley and the Geothermal Plant?

Also, notice the road leading from the Jungle Road area to the town... it's as if someone decided Industrial Jungle wasn't long enough and redesigned it (moving the start from where it should be), or maybe right the opposite, someone decided it was too long instead...

So, the foundation on the beach at the start was going to be a hotel ("Visitor Center"), huh? Hmmm...

Here's an image of that map, just in case:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421592398/0.jpg
IslandMap.jpg
IslandMap.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 13678 times
Last edited by machf on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Interesting observations machf. Where do you think the start point originally was supposed to have been?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

I made a theoretical map on my website showing what the beta plains might have looked like.

my thought is that the dam opened, thus making you go another way.

or the map was designed by a guy that didnt know about the level designs.

It does look like the beggining of a hotel being made in the beach, though. when anne says "looks like a foundation" then she says "it might be a " and I dont remeber the rest.
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, it was on your site that I saw that map... I was wondering where I'd seen it. I imagine you reached more or less the same conclusions?

Also, have you noticed that, to the east (or north, depending) of the town, where the hill is abruptly raised, there are several objects that have become "submerged" under that elevation?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Regarding that image of the dam, I'm betting it was from the plains, before they converted them into part of the current InGen Town level (BTW, were the plains a completely separate level, or just a different terrain after exiting the town?). Here's the dam seen from more or less the same point of view in the Town level:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421592398/6.jpg
TresDam6.jpg
TresDam6.jpg (90.58 KiB) Viewed 13678 times
And here's a composite with the original image:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421592398/7.jpg
TresDam7.jpg
TresDam7.jpg (185.5 KiB) Viewed 13678 times
You'll notice that:

1) The terrain is flat, not an incline like it currently is

2) The ground level is set higher relative to the base of the dam

3) There is no mountain showing behind the left side of the dam

aside from the obvious differences, like the vegetation and:
that car isnt there in the full game. also notice how there is no scaffolding at the top of the dam.
rms
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by rms »

Wait, I thought the pylons were for the Monorail.

rms
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No, I believe the monorail's aren't refered as "pylons".

VH41: 1988. Workers from the mainland were pouring concrete supports for the rail system running north to the settlement.
VH62: In the winter we began building the supports for the elevated transit system that would unify the island. Concrete towers rose through the jungle canopy.
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

thanks machf!

the plains was a whole new level, right after you leave the town.

remember the "plains" for TLW? right after them, were those dinosaur bones and then the entrance to the town.

dont forget that after the lab, you didnt really take a road, just a backpath to the ascent. in the middle of AS2, you joined together with the road. so the plains northern exit must have been closed off.

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Good point. Now it sounds very obvious that you walked through the dam.... Did anyone say the dam wasn't on that location in the first place? Anyway, that's one theory. Because, you walk up the road at the side of the dam and there loads PV. I think we need a "Project Plains" (P.PL.) later on.

Good Work!! :D

//D

PS.
Sorry that I wasn't so enthusiastic in PPV last week, I've had a lot to do for school.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

The only problem with Project Plains (which would be cool) is that everything would be entirely speculation. There's no "concrete" evidence like there is with PV.

Well, maybe that would be cool, because then it could be whatever the creators wanted. :mrgreen:
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

That's what I mean Slugger! We can use our own imagination, visions and we can create our own.. completely own, original Trespasser level. :o :mrgreen: :D :yes:

//D
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

There are two things that need to be in the plains from concept art that I've seen: The dam, possbily with a lagoon, and the smugglers plane. Thats all I've seen in concept art.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Then there's that downed biosyn plane...that doesn't match any area.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

The helicopter, the plane, maybe they should of the named the level "airplane graveyard".
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

I think that the plains was about 60% concept and 40% actual level. we dont even have one "real" shot of the level. just a few renders and some that we think is from the plains.

I feel that the information I put together is the most conclusive out there, but still, we have no clue. the only positive thing we know is that the road leading to mt watson is closed off, thus making you reactivate the power. thats it.