Thoughts about the map in Hammond's office

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Definitely looks like it... is this hidden/lost valley?
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Nope.. If the camera would be looking a little more to the right you should see the jeep.

//D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Looks close enough... and it seems to follow the pattern (I mean, the previous shots jr1 to jr5 are in a sequence progressing through the level).

Unfortunately, TresEd just crashed, and I have to reboot my PC again to get it to work properly...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, your place is very close, but the angle at which the branches f the tree are in the foreground didn't match, so I tried rotating around the place a bit:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421593709/13.jpg
TresJR13.jpg
TresJR13.jpg (142.96 KiB) Viewed 10422 times
That was more like it. unfortunately, in doing so, the forked tree in the background moved to a very different position, as did some other references... so I did some more exploring, trying to keep those trees in the proper position, and look at this:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421593709/14.jpg
TresJR14.jpg
TresJR14.jpg (135.65 KiB) Viewed 10422 times
This seems to be it, rather, although the terrain has obviously been edited (the plant that should be on the bottom right, for example, is here in the top right instead, because of the elevation).

So, that closes the case of the "jr#" pictures... although there are still some other JR pictures left. And I have a bunch of screens from the VIVO clip showing the monorail station (plus the corresponding shots from TresEd) which I haven't uploaded yet.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Maybe the title of this topic should be changed, since we're hardly discussing Hammonds map anymore :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, don't worry, I'll go back to it really soon...
The whole point of the tangential talk was to establish what has been kept more or less like in the original and what not, and how the levels could match that map. JR has had some changes, but it's still basically the same (except for the monorail station at the start). IJ has been heavily modified, OTOH ("IJ2", to be more precise). Heck, "IJ3" seems to even predate some other levels. Maybe it was a standalone originally, and they later connected it with "IJ1" via "IJ2"? Or, as I suggested, maybe it was an alternate route within the Plains level?
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Don't know about that... I do know that there were originally two ways to get to the monorail in the Jungle Road. One is the only way left, the other would have been the Lost Valley. But this is pretty well-known I guess.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, a few more, this time from Sean O'Connor's portfolio.

First, the garage of the gas station in the town:

Trespasser_Gas_Station_2_garage.gif
Trespasser_Gas_Station_2_garage.gif (172.47 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Compare it to:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421595351/0.jpg
TresGas1.jpg
TresGas1.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
There are a few differences, like the barrels, and most noticeably, the platform which seems capable of being operated...

This other shot from the station, however, doesn't seem to be any different from the final release:

Trespasser_Gas_Station.gif
Trespasser_Gas_Station.gif (147.38 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421595351/1.jpg
TresGas2.jpg
TresGas2.jpg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Too bad, I was counting on getting a view of the "west gate" from there...

Then two shots from the computer building in the Lab level, which don't seem any different either:

Trespasser_computer_outside.gif
Trespasser_computer_outside.gif (172.34 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Trespasser_computer_room.gif
Trespasser_computer_room.gif (161.23 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Compare them to:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421595351/2.jpg
TresLab1.jpg
TresLab1.jpg (145.59 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421595351/3.jpg
TresLab2.jpg
TresLab2.jpg (83.19 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Well, in general, the Lab doesn't seem to have experienced many changes around that particular area...
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Mmmm..... It would be nice to have an operatable platform. I'd love to make new puzzles, so nothing is left out. Like you had to do something with that platform to be able to do something else that makes you proceed.... You know what I mean..

Keep solving :wink: !

//D

Whoa! This is a popular topic!!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Thoughts about the map in Hammond's office

Post by machf »

BUMP

I've been editing the posts on this topic to update the links to files stored at the TresCom server (they had the old GameSpy URLs) and replacing my TresEd screenshots which were hosted at the long-gone freepichosting site... I managed to find my backups of all the images.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re:

Post by s13n1 »

Awesome thread!

Loved this comment you made..
machf wrote:I sure hope you're copying all this to your site... you never know when a backup is going to be needed!
Reading all that shows me just how much you guys have done over the years. Amazing work.

I'm really hoping one day a dusty box is found and its filled with old screenshots, videos and a few builds of Trespasser that were never seen.
I think i would actually shed a tear that day.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Re:

Post by Road Warrior »

s13n1 wrote:Awesome thread!

Loved this comment you made..
machf wrote:I sure hope you're copying all this to your site... you never know when a backup is going to be needed!
Reading all that shows me just how much you guys have done over the years. Amazing work.

I'm really hoping one day a dusty box is found and its filled with old screenshots, videos and a few builds of Trespasser that were never seen.
I think i would actually shed a tear that day.
Me too.:)

AWESOME stuff!!