The Lab - Survivor

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

John Parker Hammond
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by John Parker Hammond »

John Parker Hammond wrote:bravo! you have uncovered the myster of burroughs!
X 2!

:lol: :P :mrgreen: :yes:
John Parker Hammond, letting go of the stresses of INGEN"
-----------------------------------------------
INGEN CEO/Founder
Rexy40
-=Alpha Wolf=-
-=Alpha Wolf=-

Post by Rexy40 »

Heh.

Mike is right about the religious thing. Just to remind everyone, Hammond said, "...tiles are cracking, covered with dirt, vines coming up through concrete..." the island had... 8 years to start settling itself, and wood rots and becomes old very quick. Doesn't explain the Mansion tho.
~TresCom Ops: Public Relations, Beta Tester
~TresCity: Webmaster (Updated 6-21-04)
~TresNovel: Author

Woah man, woah.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

While I agree with Mike about the workers and the church (the alternative would be to either fly or ship them to the mainland and back every sunday), I'm starting to think that Slugger may have found the right answer. Especially if you look at this early screenshot:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/games/drea ... t005.shtml
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

But the workers could have church anywhere, even in a tent. A church structure isn't necessary for a church service. Workers on remote projects often have church in tents and in the open air. A church is not a building, it's the people who attend the service. I don't think the workers would have gotten terribly upset about having open air services.

It is more plausable to believe that a church structure was built for the plantation owners and their workers in the 1800's, and the building was still extant when Hammond and his team arrived, in which case, they decided to renovate it for the workers for church, and have it double for a community building, after the workers were through.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Dapper Dan wrote:But the workers could have church anywhere, even in a tent. A church structure isn't necessary for a church service. Workers on remote projects often have church in tents and in the open air. A church is not a building, it's the people who attend the service. I don't think the workers would have gotten terribly upset about having open air services.
Maybe not in your Faith, but AFAIK, in the Catholic world, a church is a must. It's one of the first buildings that get built, along with the town hall. It may be incomplete when they start using it, but it has to be built; that's something that unites the community. Worshipping God in the open air instead of building Him a temple is (almost) unthinkable (not to mention it may become uncomfortable in a tropical climate). The tent solution may work, if you have plans for a more permanent structure later on.
And there's a difference between "church" and "Church" ("Church are we all")...

But the idea of it being built in the same timeframe as the mansion also makes sense (in fact, possibly more sense, given that back then it may have been more unthinkable not to build one), with InGen "rehabilitating" it for the worrkers after they arrived there. The argument is more against the idea of "Why would InGen build a church/leave one standing"?

Anyway, as I said, it's more likely the church was originally meant for another level, possibly Pine Valley, given the evidence of that screenshot, and as such, would be a remain from the same period as the plantation house.
don vercetti
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by don vercetti »

Well, I got stuck to the theory that they built Burroughs on an existing 19th century city. If they built the church in the 80's, why does it look so old? That isn't a typical 80's church, at least of my knowledge :? .

But somehow I have to agree with Machf cause there was supposed to be a "Hidden Village" somewhere according to the musicfile. I think that Hidden Village was in PV, as shown by the screenshot. But you must agree with that it's a concept art. It's not from the game's engine.

//D
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

machf wrote:Maybe not in your Faith, but AFAIK, in the Catholic world, a church is a must. It's one of the first buildings that get built, along with the town hall. It may be incomplete when they start using it, but it has to be built; that's something that unites the community.
But the community or Burroughs was not being built for the workers, it was built for the science team and bio-engineers and their families, right? In that case, there would be no need for the workers to form a community, since they were temporary until everything was built.
machf wrote:Anyway, as I said, it's more likely the church was originally meant for another level, possibly Pine Valley, given the evidence of that screenshot, and as such, would be a remain from the same period as the plantation house.
Yes, I agree. The church, and possibly other buildings, were part of another level, and likely placed in the town level to plug up gaps in the landscape since Dreamworks didn't give the team enough time to complete Trespasser satisfactorily.

Still, it's interesting and fun to imagine and find solutions to such inconsistencies in order to have it all make sense. :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

Chances are the church really was there but desighned for another level. Why? Because it has an odd importance in the game that I wouldn't think would be there: the blue keycard! I highly doubt that anyone would of left a security card as important as that one in the church. It would be hard for me to imagine that someone left the blue kaeycard on what seems to be a ministers desk, and to me it seems as if the church was thrown in there as a way to hide the keycard. It seems to me that it would of been in another building that was never finished and when the relsease date came, they tossed in the church and the keycard.

Post by Guest »

Lol, don't start about leaving important keycards in places where you would not suspect to find them, for example, on toilet seats :mrgreen:
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Lol, don't start about leaving important keycards in places where you would not suspect to find them, for example, on toilet seats :mrgreen:
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Here's a random thought:

What if the church was built (and designed to look old) for the visitors? Hammond said that Site-B was intended as a research station, to see dinosaurus interact in their natural habitat. So if you had civilians staying there for an extended ammount of time (versus Jurassic Park, which would probably have been a 2-3 day trip) the visitors may have wanted a place to worship away from home?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
John Parker Hammond
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by John Parker Hammond »

John Parker Hammond wrote:
John Parker Hammond wrote:bravo! you have uncovered the myster of burroughs!
X 2!

:lol: :P :mrgreen: :yes:

You have uncove...........................!*falls asleep and starts to snore*

:lol: :mrgreen: *JK*

from the desk of John Parker Hammond
John Parker Hammond, letting go of the stresses of INGEN"
-----------------------------------------------
INGEN CEO/Founder
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

in the same house, may be. the raptor that killed this guy (or not), gived us an other live show....
this is a pic I taked to show what am I talking about....
Image[/img]
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

That isn't a raptor. You can tell, a raptor only has three toes and three claws, unless it tried to eat the poster. Hehehehe.
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

maybe he didn't like the image.
I don't like.... but I'm not a dino..
heheheeheh
it could be with a foot. there are 4