Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Non-recovered Trespasser Art

Post by tatu »

Deadeye and I were talking on Discord about a concept drawing we have never recovered in a "clean" form - one with the helicopter crashed in a tree.
While looking at the article that show this art partly we notice the article contain several other drawing art that we have not been able to find or get in a "clean" form.

The drawing art can be found in an article by GamersRepublic from August 1998:

On this page you can clearly see the helicopter drawing. However, if you take a closer look on the right, you will notice part of a drawing that appear to resemble a structure of some form. Also on top, you can see something that appear to be a jeep along with a T-Rex. Lets move to the next page:

On the bottom you can clearly see something that resembles a monorail pillar. And on the bottom right, another drawing of a walkway, of what would fit with a swamp walkway (thanks to Deadeye).
If you take a look at the top of this page, you can see the top image on the other page more clearly. This is actually 2 different drawings. One is what appear to be a T-Rex (on the left) and on the right a crashed jeep (it got the hood up so possibly a crashed one) along with a T-Rex being seen in the back.

Sadly these are artwork we have never recovered in any way except through this old magazine article.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Non-recovered Trespasser Art

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow nice find you guys. Guess we're still finding stuff. I wonder what secret percentage of released images we have amassed, that only the Trespasser Gods know...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Interesting. I don't think I had seen those scans yet... (or at least, I didn't download a copy until now)

Add to those concept images the ones in the Strategy Guide, too...

BTW, I was looking again at some of those heightmaps we got...

The 64*64 one titled "PhyTest" or something like that (EDIT: phytestheightmap.raw) appears to be a portion of the area with the "tar pit" (the one called "lagoon"):
Spoiler: show
Lagoon_PhyTest_Image1.jpg
Lagoon_PhyTest_Image1.jpg (78.04 KiB) Viewed 10649 times
Here it's rendered as an 8m*8m terrain quad with 4m height multiplier.

Compare to these screenshots, the small indentation (too small to call it a peninsula) in the lagoon to the right is the same, even...
lagoonA.jpg
lagoonA.jpg (200.75 KiB) Viewed 10649 times
lagoonB.jpg
lagoonB.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 10649 times
Lagoon_screen.jpg
Lagoon_screen.jpg (108.34 KiB) Viewed 10649 times
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

@machf: Nice, that is awesome!! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Too bad we don't have the rest of the map...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Yeah, but still an awesome find :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And, as with all awesome finds, it was by accident... ;)
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Dang, nice finds, I'm going to have to pay more attention to those old articles from now on.

Nice to have some more info on the Biosyn chopper idea. And the possibe IJ2 area is certainly food for thought.

Also since when did we have the Tar pit height map :esurprised:.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf, that's pretty neat, thanks for posting the terrain image....
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, found this thread, might as well use it for the multiple (count: 2) sources of non-recovered-version Concept Art. Recently I cleaned up the PV Gate image from the Strategy Guide:
CncptArt_PVGate.png
CncptArt_PVGate.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3296 times
It has the door-open-direction arrows of the early alpha PV, and a couple other neat things not found in the models we have.

Also I'd forgotten we had a part of the tar pit scene... The "PhysTest" name could explain why there were so many random objects in the promotional images shot there.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

So in regards to the PV gate image there are some very interesting details that can be seen. For one the concrete directional slab is a raised object, unlike the flat terrain texture we are used to. And when thinking about how the hidden village changed it's safe to assume that at one point they meant for the slab to have been an actual physical object. Next the gates themselves have a warning label on either side. "Danger -" something. So on the actual wall themselves there is a sign stating that this particular "gate 05". Below that is something very very interesting. So sticking out of the wall is some kind of access area, the panel covering leaning against the wall - which by the way is angled and not just straight up and down.
So something interesting I would like to point out is this isn't technically the PV but actually the gate you would have gone through after crossing the dam puzzle and returning to the road.
Pine Valley

The entrance to the Pine Valley is a large gate blocking off the North Road. Anne must open this gate (insert puzzle here).
So while not much mentioned about that, it would make sense since you would have to perform a task in order to proceed. Another piece of evidence to support this idea is the Hammond VA regarding the sabotaged locking mechanisms. The prompt for that particular audio piece says
ripped-out control box on west side of gateway
And looking at the fan map the gate is on the west side of the island in relation to the in game compass.
JohnDecodes
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JohnDecodes »

This is really cool Drac, I love the idea of cleaning up partially recovered art to get a glimpse of how it looked back in its heyday. Back at uni I went through a stage of removing elements from photos. So when I saw your post, I hope you don’t mind, I thought I’d have a go removing the text (other than the map).
StrategyGuideGateClean.png
StrategyGuideGateClean.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 3140 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh man. Hey John. Yeah, so - here at TresCom, we have a custom that when people make any new 3D/2D assets etc. for a modded level and release it, it is fair game for anyone to use, and you add the credits somewhere. Or if you want to use it off TresCom, just ask us. Other things go similarly. No way you need to ask to make a further improvement on a concept art retrieval. This is great, I'll add it to my photo album, thanks!