Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

EdgeObscurity
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Running ATX and Twilight on Windows 10

Post by EdgeObscurity »

Hi, new Trespasser player here.

I recently discovered this game and finished the story with the Trespasser CE patch. Now I want to check out Trespasser's many mods but it appears that several prominent mods use ATX and Twilight which include features not currently in Trespasser CE. Does anyone have any tips for getting ATX, Twilight, or JPDS's custom engine running on Win 10?

Right now I have tried to use the ATX/Twilight build found in the Trespasser Millennium bundle but it crashes when I try to load any level.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Running ATX and Twilight on Windows 10

Post by Rebel »

Nice to see a new member, welcome. I can't speak much about twilight, but as far as I know, alot of people
use CE on windows 10 (and atx), so hopefully someone here will be able to help you. I do know there are a
few other threads related to win10, so you may want to check them out in the meantime.
EdgeObscurity
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by EdgeObscurity »

I did some searching on the web and some experimenting tonight and I think I found a solution. Twilight still refuses to work, but I have managed to get JPDS and regular ATX running at a playable frame rate on my Win 10 laptop.

There is a DDraw wrapper called DDrawCompat designed to increase compatibility with old DirecX 7 games. It looks like the author stopped updating it in 2016 but the last stable version (0.2.1) runs JPDS at a decent FPS in 1280 x 720 resolution. Increasing the resolution past 720p causes the hud or terrain to glitch. So far it appears regular ATX works with the wrapper as well. The glitched video option menu also now displays correctly.

Results will probably vary with different hardware configurations and versions of Windows 10. Trespasser CE runs fine on modern hardware, but if anyone else trying to get other older versions of Trespasser running on Win 10 hopefully this helps.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

I would recommend getting the demo and then try to setup ATX or CE yourself (Demo is portable and works with the patches and any user made level and retail ones).

I haven't tried ATX in a long time so I don't know how recent Windows 10 updates have effected it but CE is DirectX 9 so it should work on the latest Windows 10. You will probably have difficult overall to run Trespasser at high settings as the engine itself is still unstable. Is that 0.2.1 version the CE version? Then it is an old version, latest one was released last year so I would recommend downloading it from the download section. The Twilight package itself is VERY old so most stuff in it is outdated by years (except for some tools).

It would be good to know if you are running on an integrated graphic cards (usually Intel) or another one. I know playing the game with an integrated one usually causes a lot of issues. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, to Jurassic Weld.

Like the others I do recommend Tres CE. However Tres Millennium's ATX should be usable in some way, for mods that ask for it. Be sure to try compatibility mode and Run As Administrator.
EdgeObscurity
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by EdgeObscurity »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Everything is now working. Using the demo definitely makes installs easier.

I am primarily playing on the latest version of the CE patch which Trespasser runs great on. But for LPDS and ATX I am also using version 0.2.1 of the DDrawCompat custom ddraw.dll to make the game run faster without the CE patch. The CE patch does not need DDrawCompat, but for LPDS and ATX dropping the custom ddraw.dll into the game install folder resolved a bunch of issues on Windows 10. FPS is playable and the video option menu no longer glitches.

My laptop has both an integrated Intel graphics card and a dedicated Nvidia. The CE patch's DirectX 9 lets me run on Nvidia, but ATX and LPDS still use DirectX 7 which Windows 10 restricts to the default integrated Intel. The DDrawCompat ddraw.dll makes ATX and LPDS run much smoother on the integrated Intel graphics card.