BestInSlot plays JPDS

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

BestInSlot plays JPDS

Post by Nick3069 »

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the JPDS sub-forum or here, I figured it would get noticed better here.
Gaming YouTuber BestInSlot posted a video of him playing JPDS:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: BestInSlot plays JPDS

Post by TheIdiot »

Cool, I always like seeing others give these levels a go.

I always find it somewhat annoying that everyone who plays through this game has to present Anne's boob tatoo like it's a huge deal. Yeah, it's weird and funny when you first hear about it, but anyone who knows about Trespasser already knows about that.

EDIT: Watching this now, I'll write down my thoughts as I go.
I couldn't remember the timecodes of everything, so instead I just wrote down the part of the level where things I mentioned took place. Drac, you might want to give this a readthrough since the video provided me with a lot of insight into some of the little problems with JPDS I wouldn't have otherwise really thought of.
Spoiler: show
START: I find it funny that he cranked the draw distance up despite the fog which hides anything beyond a distance of about 75, and that he complains that the game doesn't run well on his modern computer. It also seems he's playing at a screen resolution of approximately 5 million x 12 million, which probably doesn't help, especially if he's running it on ATX rather than CE. That's Tres for ya.

SHED: We really need to figure out how to make Anne's head have collisions so that you don't jump through the floor of levels above you and end up hanging by your neck. :P

SHED: Does he seriously not know about the "take out/put away" system? That's going to kill him in the long run...maybe the suggestions to include a complete from-the-basics training level in RTJP are well founded. :wink:

BUS STOP: I stand by my complaints about the fog in this level, it's just too thick and restricting on your vision. It seems far too easy to get turned around and end up backtracking intentionally.

SWAMP: Never really thought about this until now, but that message about "hydration" in the swamp seems very misleading. It almost makes it appear as if you can filter water in the level, and ill advises you to drink the best water that you can, despite the fact that you have a really high chance of dying by the water-borne pathogen if you drink the swamp water.

SWAMP: Seems the water disappeared for him in places...very strange, never seen that before. I wonder if it has anything to do with him playing the game at 25k resolution?

SWAMP: NO! DON'T SAVE THE GAME WHEN YOU HAVE THE PARASITE! As cool as the disease system is, there either needs to be an easily accessible way to get rid of it, or it needs to go entirely.

LODGE: The sleeping version of Mr. Grumpy could probably have used a closed-eye texture.

LODGE: There really needs to be an easier way to get up on top of the lodge and do the climbing puzzle, since the boxes are too heavy and stacking them 2 high still isn't enough to get up there easily.

CLIFF TRAILER: Still one of the best moments in the entire mod! I wonder how many people grabbed the gun and got out before the Rex could knock it down the first time. Unfortunately it seems the Rex didn't quite push it hard enough this time. :P

LODGE: Looks like there's a patch between the terrain and the fake lodge ground which doesn't have any physics, which allowed him to fall through the ground.

LODGE: Uh-oh, he said that there are only three levels...I'm going to guess that he isn't aware of Forest or HRS, which is unfortunate as Trails is probably the least interesting of all the levels while HRS is one of the best.

ROCK MAZE: It seems he's unaware that he's now dying of the water-borne pathogen...

DILO DEAD-END: That's the second time now I've seen someone go over there and become lost.

PLAINS: Is it just me, or does he keep running into invisible instances with the "Wood Soft" sound material?

GAS STATION: Well, he immediately decided to go the long, long, empty way around the side of the plains, and now he thinks he's completed the level without seeing all there is to see, since the end game trigger is there even though it should then load up Trails. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start Plains in the next level, even though he hasn't really made it there yet. :?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, thanks for all the notes, but this is all more or less known to me. JPDS was great and huge but still my first major mod, lots of lessons had not been learned yet. There are also too many of these things to fix.

As a note, that invisible wood soft thing bugs me too. It happens from Priority settings in Quality, where some bushes/stumps are not rendered but still physical.

If I do get to the JPDS future remake, it will start more or less from scratch with a new terrain basis and all. This does remind me, you and I need to be sure the ah replacement for Tres Twilight is ready to go for the 20th anniv.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

If I do get to the JPDS future remake, it will start more or less from scratch with a new terrain basis and all.
Cool. So now JPDS~Streams will be the size of all of the original JPDS but the fog will be only 1 foot away, correct? :P
This does remind me, you and I need to be sure the ah replacement for Tres Twilight is ready to go for the 20th anniv.
Well, I can pretty easily set-up the engine and all that stuff, so what is it we still need? The new main menu is one thing, and we need to repackage all of the required tools as well.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah. Menu and presentation stuff mostly. Guessing it'll take 3 days or so.