Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

ketfri8002
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Best CPU to run Trespasser

Post by ketfri8002 »

what was the best CPU to run Trespasser (CPU before year 1999) i think it is like P2 450 vs k6-2. in all other games is the P2 processor, the fastest. but the K6-2 suport "3D now" and homepage about 3D now (K6-2) says:

"At the K6-2 launch, AMD listed a dozen DirectX-based
games that are currently available, including Incoming, Ares
Rising, and Team Apache. Conspicuously missing were
Quake II, the most popular 3D game, and Trespasser, which
the company frequently points to as one of the best games
for the K6-2. These games should both be available with
3DNow this summer. In addition to DX6 support, AMD has
developed 3DNow-enhanced routines for OpenGL and
Glide, the other popular 3D APIs. The company expects
hundreds of enhanced titles to be available by Christmas."

But i really dont know about Trespasser came to support the "3D now" ? please help :D (I'm building a PC to run trespasser, and all parts/Hardware MUST came from 1998. And i know even the voodoo2 SLI had problems with run the game. but thats why im using more powerfull graphic cards (but still 1998)).
Why GTX 690? Wehn i have my 3DFX cards.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Best CPU to run Trespasser

Post by awesome24712 »

Are you building this PC because you think that Trespasser needs such hardware, or is it just for nostalgia (considering the hardware is, by today's standards, low quality, and thus cheap)?

I wouldn't think that the processor has as much to do with it as the graphics card (and the graphics card wouldn't be a problem at all in software mode), and most problems you could encounter are easily fixable via ATX or just things already on Windows.

I can easily run Trespasser with a Windows 7 32-bit, Intel Core 2 E8200, with a nVidia 8400 GS 512MB graphics card, no problems. I've seen it run quite well on 64-bit installations as well.

I'm not sure what the "3D now" is, I've heard of it, however there's a chance that it was never fully implemented, and even if it was the faster CPU speeds of today would probably surpass the k6-2's benefits, especially when running in software mode (which retail-level wise is just as good as hardware mode, and it seems to crash less).
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

3D Now! is a set of instructions in the AMD processors' set that allow the CPU to perform graphics operations directly. With the advent of graphics cards with their own GPUs, this no longer is necessary, and AMD decided to drop it in 2010...

Maybe it makes AMD processors work better in software mode...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
m0u53r
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by m0u53r »

I ran into some info that DirectX 6 was optimized for 3D now. So your choice is PII 450mhz with MMX or a K62 400 with 3D now. Personally, I would go with the K62 and overclock it. With some luck you might get it up to 450 or 475.

Back in the day I had a k62 350 (but I think in 1998 I was still using a 486 66mhz running win95)

I don't know if you already have a motherboard but toms hardware still has some reviews available to view from 1998. I had a motherboard with an Ali Aladdin V chipset...I recommend staying away from the Aladdin V. Only reason I say that is I had a terrible time finding a network card that would work with my motherboard. But, different motherboards might not have the comparability issues mine had. I should let you decide for yourself. Here are a few links for you to check out http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/19980731/print.html
http://jphale.tripod.com/overclock-k6-2.htm
http://www.weblearn.hs-bremen.de/risse/ ... irectx.htm

With the trespasser code it would interesting to see where the 3d now optimizations are if there are any. I'm thinking, since the game came with directx6 that they just used its compatibility with 3dnow as a selling point. But I'll probably never find out because I don't read code. I was also thinking maybe physics calculations would utilize some of the 3d now instructions. But I really have no clue.
interesting read http://www.pctechguide.com/amd-technology/amd-3dnow

Anyways....Thanks for the trip down memory lane :D
ketfri8002
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by ketfri8002 »

awesome24712 # :
I have many Win 7 32-64 bit computers, and it all runs trespasser great. But i have also MANY PC from year 1998. but not a 1998 Top Gamimg PC to run my lovely game. Trespasser was a HARD game for computers in 1998 and even in 1999. even a Voodoo2 SLI coud'nt handle it in "high" graphic. but I'm using a rarely Graphic card setup von 1998.

m0u53r #
and machf # :
Oh thanks, it was wery interesting. I think i wil Use the k6-2-400 :D i had bought a gaming dual slot 1, motherboard, to P2. but using NT4 and the fight about get DX6, and no multicore support in Trespasser, and your meassegs, made me think to use the K6:D I have a socket 7, motherboard to K6. and many K6 CPU's. but its is not Top gaming parts. as i will try to get a "Socket super 7"board to the K6 :D
Thanks for the help every body.
Why GTX 690? Wehn i have my 3DFX cards.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

3Dnow allowed the AMD processors to perform complex math routines used typically in mathematics such as matrix calculations and the like directly on the CPU, this has been obsolete since graphics cards were produced with their own processors (since a graphics processor is roughly 100x faster than any CPU due to it being designed specifically to handle graphical calculations and the processing of video data such as vertex, triangle, pixel, texel and colour data.

If you want a PC that runs trespasser well, get an i7 Intel processor, since Trespasser uses D3D6, it doesn't use anything to do with the graphics through hardware, almost everything will be done by software,technically the D3D 'Hardware' option is Software with Hardware memory support thrown in really. To take advantage of the graphics processor the game would need to use Direct3D 8, 9, 10, 11 (10/11 are heavily intergrated with hardware support, as they require shaders).
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

I prefer to play this game with k6-2 3D-NOW and Creative sb-live EAX

IN 1998

Trespasser just like Crysis

ps:maybe k7 athlon slot A

is best for trespasser?
Attachments
tra.jpg
tra.jpg (400.49 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I have no idea what the best CPU is best for Trespasser. It depends. If it is with the CE patch, it doesn't matter. :P
Trespasser comes with 3 different .exe depending on the CPU you had. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I t turns out it's AMD's fault that Trespasser was released in that state...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

Can hardly find relevant tests

I mean 3Dnow for trspasser

ps:almost Quake2 for 3D-NOW! test

ps:i have gtx690 voodoo2(No sli) too

and voodoo3 3000 pci
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

Attachments
Trespass450.jpg
Trespass450.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

AND PENTIUM III 1100MHZ
Attachments
Trespass1100.jpg
Trespass1100.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Interesting research. I'm afraid I don't pay enough attention to computer hardware to make much sense of it...
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:I t turns out it's AMD's fault that Trespasser was released in that state...
I remember one of the devs saying that. AMD invested into Trespasser and put the release date.

Is those numbers on the left FPS? We can't even get near 60 FPS with vanilla Trespasser with modern PCs. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, look at the resolutions... and it may be some benchmark score, rather than FPS.

EDIT: the original article is here:
https://www.voodooalert.de/board/forum/ ... li-review/